Why do you collect flashlights?

richpalm

Banned
Anyway, i rationalize to my wife: Hey, I dont drink, I dont smoke, I dont party out with friends, I dont womanize, so let me have my flashlight collection!

I use that line every time she notices that i'm carrying a new flashlight in my hands. haha...

Cheers!

That works for you? Mine doesn't wanna hear it. My purchases, Paypal account, everything are underground. Good pilot doesn't fly into a thunderstorm...

Rich

S Jay

Newly Enlightened
I collect flashlights for these reasons:

1. I live in a small town and old flashlights can be found at every second hand store and estate auction.

2. Most of what I collect is inexpensive....under $15.00...sometimes a buck or two.

3. Most of the time, if one doesn't work, I can fix it.

4. Where else can you find something that was made in 1915, and get parts at your local hardware store that work perfectly....i.e. D-cells and a # 14 bulb?

Rigged

Newly Enlightened
If I knew why, I wouldn't be doing it. Why have I always loved antique radios? Damned if I know... all I know is that I do. Same with flashlights. My real rewards come from building and modding; the actual work as opposed to the end result, and the nice rush I get when it lights up for the first time. Same with old radios... when I do a restore and it starts to sing again after being silent for 40-50 years. Indescribable feeling!

Rich

This is definitely the way I feel about it. Why do people collect anything? Action figures, baseball cards, stamps, magnets, the list goes on. It's just something we do.

My collection isn't nearly as big as I would like, but that is the whole point of collecting there really is no "end". I love it.

NewlandPhotography

Newly Enlightened
I collect simply for the fact that i always seem to need one and can never find one when i need it so why not have a ton! easier to find that way ;)

Dillo0

Newly Enlightened
I have always enjoyed things that made light. I started with one of those cheap yellow plastic Everready things. My grandfather then gave me an aluminum 1 AAA light with a clicky switch. It was focusable and even had an aluminum reflector. It would beat one of those Solitares any day. I lost it, and got a mini Maglite AA. From there, I got a 3D Maglite with the LED upgrade module. I swapped the lens for a glass one and ran it off 1.5 V lithium primaries (LiFeS2). Now, I'm on to better lights. It's kind of like the story I had with knives. I got a Victorinox lock blade, then the next knife I got was a Benchmade.

J D

Newly Enlightened
There is just something I like about knowing that when the lights go out, I won't be left in the dark. Having a good flashlight in my hand gives me a feeling of security. Having several, well that's even better. :)

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
I think there's a part of my brain that just likes knowing that I can have something that's hand-held, and when turned on, can project/throw some energy (light) onto something a few inches to a few hundred feet away. It's just so neat. HAHAH...

Exide

Newly Enlightened
I started out with Ever Ready radios to start with but then decided on torches as found one with its original battery, i rebuilt radio batterys so though why not torch ones, yes its very addictive. It seems not a popular hobby in Britain though but seems massive in America, i can pick up old torches more cheap than radios and any duplicate batterys i get i take apart an rebuild but the round cells such as the large D size i simply skin them an copy the covers to put on modern cells. I have found now that i love torches better than radio as there simple to fix an easy to store an display an in my country are cheap to get hold of, It does seem with american stuff though there is so much to choose from and do have a few American torches in my collection such as Eveready with the Union Carbide logo on and i have one Brightstar torch and a Franco make pocket lamp which i got working again by soldering strip terminals on a AAA battery holder as the battery was flat shape an small an not made anymore.

led2011

Newly Enlightened
when I first come to this forum, I am so surprised to find that there is so many flashaddict who collect many expensive but very famous torch(no doubt which own great quality). If I have good economy, I would collect many good flashlight to meet my interest. But owing to a tough economy, I own a few torch for my preference.

Roccomo

Enlightened
Let's see, baseball cards, comic books, knives, a few guns, knives, more knives. Yeah, I've been collecting stuff since I was a kid. When I first came on here a few years ago and discovered the HDS EDC it was all over. It actually went Surefire, HDS then McGizmo. On top of all that lights are such a useful everyday tool. Why not have a few?

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always had a fascination with flashlights.
I bought my first good light (a minimag) when I was about 12 years old (nearly 20 years ago - and I still have it)
I started doing security work and needed a good dependable torch
Started with a Pelican M11 and SF 6P
Then a SL Stinger XT, Magcharger, Pila GL3XR, and eventually a SF U2 as duty lights, and L4, 6P/KL3, Fenix L0p and L1p.

I don't have a collection as such, all my lights are, or were users.

Some of my older lights, or lights with memories attached (like the old Minimag, and the Novatac I EDCed for 5 years, and had in my pocket when I got married) have been retired and live in a glass display case, the rest live around the house and get used when they need it.

andurilgc

Newly Enlightened
Insightful question Snareman if I may say so and I'm surprised there are so few responses

I would hazard a guess to say that there are many character traits we all have here in common as CPF members such as an interest in practical tools, tech and a sense of community. I have 9 torches so far but once I started I could see that it could easily turn into 100 or so. It probably will

Torches are so darn handy, don't you think. All homes have at least one. I started getting up at nights for my young kids and after my first nightstand torch it was an EDC, then a tactical, a thrower and so the hobby continues ...

On fun/expense analysis, I say they are hard to beat :)

fvdk

Newly Enlightened
40 years ago when I was a kid, we lived in an area where there were no streetlights so it was pitch dark at night and I guess that triggered my love for flashlights and even than I collected every flashlight that I could get my hands on, mostly AA cell flashlights but my favorite one at the time was a yellow 4D lantern, similar to this one. When I was about 12, there was a Tandy shop (later Radio Shack) which gave away the 5D grey flashlights and I think I have had at least 6 of them. When I was about 18, I bought my first serious flashlight, the Bianchi 7 cell B-lite.
When Maglite entered the market with the D-cell models, I collected the whole range and it was as if they could read my mind as I thought about how nice it would be if they would make smaller models with the same quality and that happened when they introduced the Mini-Mag AA and later the AAA and Solitaire.

However, besides my love for just flashlights, I also love quality tools and Electronics and whenever I own something that I really love, I am inclined to buy more of them for backup as I can not stand the thought of loosing it or maybe be not able to buy a new one if it should go out of production so I buy backups for my backups.

I do of course realize that the above is stupid but I can't help myself so I have more lights than I would ever need and I still keep buying new ones. Fortunately, I can afford it but it still is stupid :)

LE6920

Newly Enlightened
I think some people just appreciate and collect certain things. Others see no value and have little interest. I would bet a lot of collectors also see interest in other items as well, maybe cars, old cameras, tools etc.

dajab77

Newly Enlightened
I like the different usages and design of the lights I own/collect. I guess it's a hobby as well.