Why do you collect flashlights?

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Collection of various things, including flashlights distracts from thoughts about the meaninglessness of life. Joke. They are beautiful and useful, beautiful and useful, beautiful and useful...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Around the time I joined CPF I realized there was a whole industry of early police flashlights that'd fallen off the face of the earth decades before. Gathering information and examples went from being an occasional thing to a serious interest, and now a curated reference collection. Whether this turns into a detailed collector's guide or being buried under a pyramid of flashlights like a 21st century pharaoh I'm not entirely sure.
Over the years I had tried to fill in blanks too. Some said "write a book". I said "I did, it's on CPF". I used your thread as a go by at times. Yours is a detailed list of available kinds.

Mine was an attempt to discuss the players who built the lights you've chronicled.

I've had help from a couple of other collectors along the way

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
It' Hobby

My first flashlight "Surefire 6P"
How did you not have a dodgy AA or D light before that? Also with not using lights that are trash you can't fully appreciate a Surefire.

The 6P is far from perfect. People will flame this but they can look up all the trillions of mods people do to improve it. The only thing most people like about it consistantly is the body having changed every other part. Some mod that too to take bigger cells.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not a collector per se, the flashlights just seem to "collect themselves". :)

In a lot of cases a new light will have a feature or attribute which is a bit different from what I have, so there is overlap. In other cases the price is low and (too) hard to resist; may come in multiples some of which I have given away.

Then there is the "free alkaline recovery/use-up" which creates demand for more small flashlights and lanterns all over the house. Sometimes one gets damaged from leakage, often it can be cleaned up but not always, so lots waiting in the wings...

Last edited:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well now, there is collecting...and then there is accumulating. IMO, the first is deliberate, while the second is...well, not so deliberate. I don't "collect" flashlights so much as accumulate better and better flashlights for my needs. I haven't really purchased any lights to just put on a shelf and look at, as a "specimen" of that particular light. That would probably be a rabbit hole that I should not go down, although I am sorely tempted, especially with some Maglites.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchase lights for legitimate use, something better comes along so I purchase (or build) that, they just seem to multiply after a while... then there is the I don't need that but isn't it beautiful light(s) :yellowlaugh:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because they are awesome. They remind me a lot of the early times of my life in the early 2000's when things weren't so messed up in the world. And they had a lot better quality than what you can buy nowadays for the same money. Very little out there now interests me these days.

Mr. Flashlight

Newly Enlightened
Not a huge collector of flashlights.....but do have a few that I've collected over a period of time.
My problem is though that once I start getting into something that really peaks my interest.....I start collecting.
I started collecting vintage audio equipment, vintage camping lanterns and flashlights...nothing excessive on either but do have a small humble collection of each.
So yes I have an obsession but not to the point where it's overwhelming.