Why does everyone hate mag lite?

alberto

Enlightened
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Muglite came along when there was no other light like it. Rugged, machined aluminum, lantern mode, spare bulb in tail, twist on/off, focusable beam, lanyard attachment, various assessories, etc., which I remember being very impressed with at the time I first saw them (and bought them). What an improvement over the run-of-the mill el-cheapo plastic Evereadies.

The problem, it seems to me, is that they have basically the same product as they started with and others have surpassed them in almost every way -- except in variety of assessories and colors.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't particularly hate the Mags (*edit*) but I find it 'cute' to mess with the name to express dissatisfaction without implying offense. They have pros and cons just like other lights. I do have several 'objections':

1. Maglites (*edit*) still use the same old anodize process (correct me if I'm wrong). Today's rugged type III anodize improves durability (and long term aesthetics) without significantly impacting overall cost (at least I don't think it would). On the other hand weaker anodize is gentler on clothes and equipment.

2. Their reflectors are coated plastic and are hence susceptible to all kinds of end user damage (and damage from high output lamps if and when installed). They are inexpensive though.

3. Their lamps are low output (and low CRI) and have remained so until recently. Other higher output (and better CRI) lamps have been available for a while from other sources. Lamps are inexpensive though.

4. Lenses are plastic (easily scratched) and Mag does not provide clearer or more rugged alternatives. On the other hand they are replaceable and are inexpensive. There are similarly sized optical quality clear 'glass' lenses now available from an alternate source.

5. Beam quality is not so good (very non-uniform). This is a problem when you are trying to distinguish scene details.

6. Edit - removed. Hearsay.

7. Their litigation efforts may deprive me of better light instruments. I am only speaking of units that are not Mag clones. Edited.

8. Maglites (*edit*) are just so... passe
grin.gif
. They look the same as they did 20 years ago and I am just plain tired of looking at them. And what is a light but an instrument for looking
wink.gif
?

9. Edit - removed. Irrelevant (and ungracious).

10. Edit - removed. Hearsay.

Having said all that, I have modified my Mags (*edit*) in simple ways to improve their output. The only time I would buy a Mag (*edit*) is if I had a plan to modify it in some way.

Cheers.

nihraguk

Enlightened
maglite's market is the general public, and the general public doesn't really care about beam quality, breathtaking light output, or expensive lithium batteries. they make flashlights that run on commonly available batteries, and relative to other common lights available, maglites are damn fine and relatively cheap for what you get (in the US and singapore at least).

a lot of allegations have been made here regarding the negative impact of the irregular beam, but has any of it been backed up by real accounts by real-life run-of-the-mill law enforcement officers? i have brought my old 3D maglite on a camping trip once and the light output was more than enough for whatever i used it for and the dark spots and rings didn't bother me one bit nor did it deprive me of distinguishing any scene details. the adjustable focus was also a big plus when i needed more throw. i used it for hours on end, and any fading in brightness was not obvious and the light output was still satisfactory.

they advantages of lexan lenses is that they are shatter-proof, and very rugged. sure, they might get scratched up but comparing a new 3D maglite with an older one shows no discernable difference in output. it just -looks- less pretty, but if you're going to use it why bother about its looks? pyrex lenses are only an advantage when using xenon bulbs that produce enough heat to melt lexan lenses. with maglite's default bulbs, i don't see this as an issue. i once accidentally left a 4D maglite on with fresh batteries till they depleted completely, and the light suffered no heat damage.

the coating on the plastic reflectors are easily damaged, but so are those on surefire's reflectors. they use plastic reflectors, for the same reason why they use lexan lenses; because a milled aluminium reflector would add to the cost of manufacturer which would be passed on to the consumer and it adds extra weight to the light (which a lot of CPF members already complain about). the advantages of an aluminium reflector also adds no advantages to a maglite with its default setup.

maglites are good general purpose lights with cheap operating and purchase costs, though my arc AAA rivals it for everyday use. i sometimes have a need for a really bright light in a small package i can carry around, and that's why i got an M2. lastly, am i the only one that feels making fun of maglite's name is a bit childish? c'mon....i'm sure we're all above that, aren't we?

having said that, i strongly and vehemently disapprove of the latest case maglite has brought against a flashlight company we all love. all the best to the aforementioned flashlight company; i will continue to support it and its excellent products.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I only spell it funky to confuse the Lawyers search engine. And if you think for one minute Lawyers aren't all over EVERYTHING you are a crazy dude.

On a Lawyer front. There is going to be a trial here with cameras EVERYWHERE. Even in the Jury Room. If I was there, there is NO WAY I would speak my mind, nor argue passionitly for what I believe. Because SOME Lawyer SOMETIME will screw up my life for saying it!

guncollector

Enlightened
nihraguk:
a lot of allegations have been made here regarding the negative impact of the irregular beam, but has any of it been backed up by real accounts by real-life run-of-the-mill law enforcement officers? i have brought my old 3D maglite on a camping trip once and the light output was more than enough for whatever i used it for and the dark spots and rings didn't bother me one bit nor did it deprive me of distinguishing any scene details.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">nihraguk-

I'm not an LEO (nor do I play one on TV), but there's something quite different about prancing around a campground on recreation vs. entering a known Condition Red (or even Orange) situation.

For example: While given a choice, I would never voluntarily attempt "house-clearing" on my own, there is always that 1:1000 chance that investigating that bump-in-the-night can become just that.

If that were ever the case, I personally DO NOT want any dark spots or rings in my flashlight's beam. For if I were to encounter anti-social behavior in any low-light situation, those darkspots and/or rings can/would possibly camouflage a threat (i.e. gun, knife, etc.) to your well being. That simply would not be acceptable.

Now imagine being an LEO on nightshifts, where this reality comes into place each and every shift.

In fact, just ask our resident Moderator and Field Tester Extraordinaire, dano, who happens to be an LEO on nightshifts, just what he thinks about having rings or dark spots in his flashlight's beam.

logical

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Harlequin:
Sort of like Harleys, except for the inexpensive part.

"2. Close to 1................."
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
243PA060002-med.JPG

Them's fightin' words.....

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
nigraguk, you make some fine points. I do disagree with you on the beam pattern issues (which are not unique to Mags -*edit*- by any means). I am not a LEO but I have had reason to search for lost items or work in a dark electrical box/room (or computer case). In all instances I had to go through contortions to make out a detail. In small and medium area searches (e.g. backyard) I remember a lot of false alarms and misses. I had to go over an area multiple times to ensure I did not miss something. There are multiple ways to skin a cat of course and each complaint about a Mag (*edit*) has its rebuttal or solution.

Yes I think for the most part playing around with the name is very childish. Someday I will get tired of doing it (or I will find out I am offending someone in which case I will stop).

Cheers.

nihraguk

Enlightened
Playboy, guncollector & monanza: i stand corrected
smile.gif
i placed a knife in the middle of a room in my house at night, and i tried my best to imagine i didn't know where it was and tried doing a quick search with my maglite and my M2, and it does make a notable difference....sorry about that. i guess i got carried away with my anti-anti-maglite rant. i sincerely apologise.

btw guncollector: what have been the latest developments regarding surefire's B90 problem? i hope its been fixed already

FlameOn

Enlightened
i hate maglite because one of their salesman ran off with my wife...hmmm, maybe I don't hate them so much anymore..

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm happy enough with the mags I have:
Charger
4D (new mag-num star xenon) w/8500mAh NiMH
3D LEDcorp puke-green luxeon
2D new mag-num star xenon, Renewal batts
2C RS K1 600mA krypton, Renewal batts
2C Ray-O-Vac 2V 1.2A rated krypton w/4500mAh NiMH
and many mini mags, normal, 450mA RS krypton, Opalec Newbeam... though I'm STILL WAITING since mid Nov for my intretech kits which I was going to use for xmas gifts. Oh well.

My problem with most "better" flashlights is that they are too expensive to run and have short (sub 10-hour) runtimes. They use either AA cells in quantity, or CR123 lithiums.

That is, if they're incandescent. I consider LED lights a whole other kettle of fish, as I wish mag's legal department did.

bewshy

Newly Enlightened
Quick question...

How many people have actually used a mag as a weapon? I hammered a nail over so it wouldnt snag before. Thats about as "tactical" as I've gotten with one
smile.gif
The bigger ones seem kinda unwieldy.

eb

nihraguk

Enlightened
i once locked myself in a room (the doorknob was faulty) and i whacked the doorknob off the door with a 2D mag. the head was banged up pretty badly but it still worked, until i accidentally flooded it one day
smile.gif

s2k

Newly Enlightened
it's simple to answer the question: Why does everyone hate mag lite?

maglites do PERTTY WELL in Daily usage. but here, we are HIGH end users.

for most consumers around the world, what do they need? just a flash light can WORK!

mag is:

brighter than most cheap products,
battery life is longer than most cheap products.
water resistents,
pretty good looking(especially for girls, they will NEVER accept SF's shape),
famous brand but cheap,
focusable beam,
use regular and cheap batteries,
durable, can use for many years,
heavy and strong enough to be a weapon(some models).

aren't these the nomaly requairements for most users all around the world? for families, a mag 2D or 2C is ENOUGH for almost all usage already.

therefor, for nomal consumers all around the world, they don't need such Professional gears like SF, ARC...

120 lumens is ABSOLUTELY no usage for daily usage just like finding your keys under the bed!

and what's more, the products we are mostly talking about here got VERY, VERY MUCH HIGHER price than mag, this is another point.

myself like SF better, but my mother will NEVER pay $100, even $50 for just a small flash light!

we talk about technologies here, but the normal consumers do NOT need these technologies AT ALL, that's why they choose mag, most likely the BEST products in LOW END products.

but for myself, i'm just going to buy a SF z3 and a NewBeam for the AA mag i already have
grin.gif

---------------------------

my english is POOR because it's my second language...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I understand why some people dislike the mag. They're not wrong for those feelings imo.
But the mag strategy isn't aimed at the people who target practices with 44 slugs and insist on being able to cook a 25 pound turkey in their microwave. Tim the tool man scoffs at the mag lite with his binford qj 78 watt rechargeable. But most people are not like that.
The mag practice is aimed at the miliions, and millions, and millions of people who have turned on a $5 flashlight and it not work. They'll pay $20 because they work. Many buy them over the others for the simple reason that they are made in America. Tony Maglica built a product that people still want.

I have solos hanging on nails throughout my home. They've been there for years. Same battery. Now at 1 candle power they won't blind a would be robber. But when the lights are out they keep me from tripping over the dog while looking for a candle or that 2am whizz thing.
I turn them on each time I change furnace filters.

I have better lights for this or that. But for $25 that 2D cell LED gets it done.
Everybody here either has at least one mag, or knows somebody who does. They even replaced fire on a stick in many far away places recently.

My dad bought a 4D cell around 1979, and it still works. It's been used as a hammer, a mini bat, a weapon, and lots of other abuses. And in 2015 they still cost about what it did back then.

I have friends with mega lites they're real proud of. When I ask "what do you use it for?" Their response is usually "I don't it broke when I dropped it." Meanwhile my mag aa from 1995 still works after being dunked, dropped on concrete, in concrete, left outside for days, stayed in a truck in all kinds of temperatures...for years, in a shed, etc etc.
That's why they are still popular amongst the masses. It still turns on every time.
Lately mag seems to have entered the new millenium with some new stuff. But for me, I'll stick with the old faithful type and spend my dough for fancy lights on brands that specialize in fancy lights.

Now that Ima cpf member part of my lurkage is how to upgrade the mag, while learning about all those fancy lights folks around here swear by.

It would be great if mag lite made watches.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not hate Maglites, there's a 3D model which I bought in 1997 that is working fine, just changed the halogen bulb to a drop in LED and its ok, my ArmyTek A1 is probably brighter but to check out bumps in the night, Maglite here I come :)

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
I think Maglite have improved considerably since this thread was first started in 2003 (12 years ago if anyone is counting!). A quick visit to their official website shows a few new modern flashlights that I won't mind owning and would buy if it wasn't for the price in USD.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone worked hard to find this thread from 03. I'm seriously impressed.

There is a reason why Maglite used to be type as "m@glite" on these forums.. search for that to find out something interesting :)

Rafael Jimenez

Enlightened
I've been using the big magcharger for many years. Only problem is the switch went bad. They fixed it for free and installed a new electronic switch. I called a few days ago to order the rubber seal that protects the switch, they sent 3 for free and they paid shipping. I install led dropins, I use a terralux but am going to switch to Malkoff.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lack of official support of Lithium Primaries in there AA / AAA lights. ( Except MagTac obviously ).

To bad I don't have a battery to put in it.

Last edited: