Why does everyone hate mag lite?

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
You think lower voltage would decrease the lifespan of the bulb? I was thinking the opposite. Information on dimmable xenon bulbs seems to show like few span increases when they aren't run at full brightness...

I was thinking maybe the higher voltage of the AAs under load as compared to AAAs under load might explain why the MiniMag AA had such short bulb life.
The AAA MiniMag gets 9 lumens, and the AA MiniMag gets 14 lumens, both using the exact same bulb. Perhaps the bulb life would be longer in a AAA MiniMag?

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know what the approximate service life of the bulbs in say a 2D MagLite would be?

Answer is not that simple. It depends on type of bulb, amount of oxygen left after evacuation, pressure of Krypton gas, physical shape of filament, forwarded voltage/designed voltage, length of usage each time, ambient temperature and ...
Batteries don't have absolute and fix voltage during service life. It will start from highest then slowly drops to a point which replacing is necessary. So if every factor remain same, often replacing batteries will cause shorter bulb life because most of the time bulb runs on higher voltage.
Also type of batteries may have different voltage under certain load.
Manufacturer may give you some average bulb life but I wouldn't count on it. Remember, shock is highest killing factor of incandescent bulb specially while filament is hot.
If you want longer bulb life, use halogen bulb which has much more pressure gas and of course, higher price.

sffar

Newly Enlightened
I recently upgraded my 2D Maglite with the Malkoff drop-in for a few reasons. It puts out decent light now, also more durable, a bit of nostallgia, hard to get rid of a perfectly usable tool and if D batteries happen to be all that's available I've got a light that will use them. So I don't hate the maglite, but in it's original form I'd say it was not as reliable as a modern flashlight. Won't get used as much as newer pocketable lights, but I like having it available. The beam focusing is also a nice feature.
Sam

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't hate them, I just want regulation, more useful levels, better tints, better ergonomics, better waterproofing, better heat sinking, and better batteries.
I do like that they kept the focusing head.

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
In reference to more useful levels; what are your thoughts on the XL200?

I will totally agree with you better waterproofing. This your they did up it on the Solitaire and AAA MiniMag.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
In reference to more useful levels; what are your thoughts on the XL200?

I will totally agree with you better waterproofing. This your they did up it on the Solitaire and AAA MiniMag.

2.5 hours on high to 218 hours on low with ramping in between sounds great, so does the nightlight mode - dimming to off, very nice.
I'm glad to see them catching up, and innovating.

The next feature that I'd really like to see in a UI is something like 4 clicks, or click click click-hold, to swap between a programmable preset UI (like Zebralight MK IV) and an infinite ramping UI (Like Emisar's D4 V2 interface).
Both of those are great, and offering them simultaneously in one light is as good as i can imagine currently.

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't hate them, I just want regulation, more useful levels, better tints, better ergonomics, better waterproofing, better heat sinking, and better batteries.
I do like that they kept the focusing head.

And are you willing to pay for all those extras?
Are you willing to pay only $10 extra for regulation? (Which is impossible)
Are you willing to pay only $10 extra for more useful level? (Which is impossible)
Are you willing to pay only $10 extra for better tints? (Which is impossible)
Are you willing to pay only $10 extra for better ergonomics? (Which is impossible)
Are you willing to pay only $10 extra for better waterproofing? (Which is impossible)
Are you willing to pay only $10 extra for better heat sinking? (Which is impossible)
Are you willing to pay only $10 extra for better batteries? (Which is impossible)

Now you can figure what would be total cost. Do you think a carpenter or plumber would buy one for that price?
Most of their customers (millions around the world) never seen a 18650 battery and don't even know where to buy them while they can get AA, C or D size cells from every corner or even gas stations.
Yes, M*glite is not for everyone but is for many many people. Low cost, American made, reliable, available in many stores and easy to find batteries.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
"... Do you think ..."

Yeah I'd pay for it, actually I've been thinking of how to pull it off with a Dr. Jones driver and a D4 v2 driver in one light.

I understand your point, not everyone wants to pay for hobbyist lights, but you know you can see a 6D Maglite for a hundred bucks online at the same time.

lol, nevermind, just saw another one at 30.

MagLite ML300LX is more to my point, it looks like a nice light, at 70$ I'd like to have tint selection, a rechargeable 18650 or 26650 option, and better waterproofing... waterproofing and twist focus heads don't likely go well together.
Anyways, my point was that I don't hate them, but to the extent that they're a traditional product in a quickly evolving market like electronics, they aren't interesting to me.
The ML300LX is kind of interesting though, and so are their selected tint and color led models, if only there were an economical way to keep the batteries charged.

Last edited:

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
The fullsize and MiniMags are their flagships and I doubt they'll make any drastic changes. I wish they'd up the waterproofing. I've often thought if they'd double up on the o-rings on the head it would help with that.

I wish Mag would branch out a bit more and make more "hobby-ish" lights. They've dipped their toes in it with the MagTacs and XL series but I think if they really want to impress the people who frequent this site they need to go all out.

flphotog

Newly Enlightened
I don't hate them, I have a couple small ones and a large 3 D cell, I just don't consider them my primary lights anymore. For me there are just better options.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
With smaller lights available and just as bright the Maglite for many gets relegated to the glove box of an automobile or placed near the back door to check on Fido who has happened upon a smell and is reluctant to come back inside.

Yet in colder weather many times the Maglite gets the call of duty for a dog walk, putting the trash out, or that type duty. The larger body tends to be easier to grasp with warm gloves and stiff fingers. And wearing a coat tends to provide storage for the light when not in use.

Look around some time and take note of folks wearing Levis or Wrangler jeans, Converse All Stars, carries a Thermos brand thermos, etc etc... that is the target audience for Maglite.

Late last year at my work I was involved in a situation that led to late nite hours. It got dark about 5 pm. By 9pm most peoples flashlights had given out. A crew of pro's showed up about then and got things going in the right direction. Each one had a 3D Maglite LED.

Those guys showed up in a 1/4 million dollar service truck with all the best stuff available to fix giant busted waterlines in dangerous situations and the boss had outfitted them with Maglite flashlights. One thing I noted was when they were through and had pulled off the muddy coveralls and rubber boots they removed the batteries from those flashlights as part of the routine of putting tools away.

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those guys showed up in a 1/4 million dollar service truck with all the best stuff available to fix giant busted waterlines in dangerous situations and the boss had outfitted them with Maglite flashlights. One thing I noted was when they were through and had pulled off the muddy coveralls and rubber boots they removed the batteries from those flashlights as part of the routine of putting tools away.

I suspect that their purchasing guy gets a McMaster Carr or MSC catalog sent to them monthly. It's a no fuss, pick up the phone to order that shows up the next day.

The battery removal is the experience of the technicians knowing that the alkaline batteries are going to puke leaving them stranded.

The good and bad with Mag is that they use commonly available batteries, unlike purchasing primary lithium cells or rechargable batteries. The only rechargable system that works is the charging cradle that the light gets stored in. Otherwise the lights are dead when needed.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I suspect that their purchasing guy gets a McMaster Carr or MSC catalog sent to them monthly. It's a no fuss, pick up the phone to order that shows up the next day.

The battery removal is the experience of the technicians knowing that the alkaline batteries are going to puke leaving them stranded.

The good and bad with Mag is that they use commonly available batteries, unlike purchasing primary lithium cells or rechargable batteries. The only rechargable system that works is the charging cradle that the light gets stored in. Otherwise the lights are dead when needed.

The fellows I spoke of choose the tools they use. They don't just simply use stuff some purchasing clerk picks out. The drills, wrenches, lighting, screwdrivers, boots, coveralls, water pumps, you name it are chosen by professionals; each with decades of experience. That was why a problem that began at 8:30am and continued to worsen throughout the day and had the waterline contractor woefully in over his head... was solved in about 2 hours by those so-called government employees who are actually highly trained individuals with 2 things on their mind when they arrive. Get it done fast and get it done safely.

When thousands of gallons of pressurized water is undermining a hillside or roadway there's no time to play around. And there's no time to swap out a rechargeable battery on a flashlight when dropping it or low voltage caused a protective circuit to trip. And when tasked with another dilema they start out with brand new batteries. The old ones are removed not because of potential leaks but because each time the light gets called into action it has brand new fuel cells.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a reliable, semi disposable light for a fresh set of disposable batteries, with adjustable focus no less, I can definitely see the appeal.
30$ light with 4.50$ of fresh batteries inside, bring several, and a roll or two of duct tape.

Last edited: