Why FENIX lights have no memory mode?

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it has happen a couple of times with my olights, the suddenly turn on in max power. Sometimes I can just turn them off and the on again, to get the correct memory setting.

With Olight like a lot of other lights with memory, you can too quickly turn them off and back on. If you do so, it jumps to the next level in the sequence. You must wait a second or two before switching the light back on to prevent this erratic operation.

HKJ

Flashaholic
With Olight like a lot of other lights with memory, you can too quickly turn them off and back on. If you do so, it jumps to the next level in the sequence. You must wait a second or two before switching the light back on to prevent this erratic operation.

That is NOT the problem!

For me it has happen a couple of times with my olights, the suddenly turn on in max power. Sometimes I can just turn them off and the on again, to get the correct memory setting.

It's not the fact it has a mode retention, but the poor implementation.

Marduke

Flashaholic
It's not even similar, but the new Brinkmann 2D dimming flashlight has memory, which is based on CREE XR-E 7090 X-lamp.

There is on/off button and 4 dimming setting controlled by up and down buttons. The light turns on at whatever dim setting you were in and holds the setting even if the battery is removed. So if you're in setting 1, you remove the battery to replace them and you turn it on again, it starts in setting 1 again.

Too bad putting a large oversized 2D light in your pocket has some unwanted side effects :naughty:

Not exactly EDC-able

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thats also happened to me, just a waiting game

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Memory would just add more cost to the Flashlight, also more things to go wrong

Much agreed. When it comes down to it, all I need is a flashlight to turn on. I already have a PC on the desk.

Artisan Bill

Newly Enlightened
I agree with many on this thread, I do not like memory mode in my lights (unless it is like the force mode in my HDS). I quite like the UI in the fenix L1d except that the low needs to be lower and to not flash to max at start up. My CL-E V2 is a favourite light, but man I hate the memory.

Ultimately I would like a 1 AA light like a L1D, built like a HDS that had a Surefire U2 interface, with no strobe or SOS:poke:. One can dream.

Stephan_L

Newly Enlightened
The problem with memory - mode is, that YOU have to remember, what mode or level was the last programmed! Most memory - modes just save the last mode / level used.
If you can't remember that last used mode / level, you could end up in serious problems (at least if you are using it in a tactical situation).

And what did we learn from Mr. Murphy:
"If you will turn on a memory mode light, it will have set the level of light that you for sure did not want!"

I think the Fenix UI is perfect! I can choose if I want full brightness (TurboMode) or minimum brightness (general mode), before I turn on the light.
And if I need something in between, I have the time to cycle through the levels, until I find what I was looking for.

Bye,

Stephan

btw:
My dream of the next PxD:
bigger body for taking 18650, 200 - 250 lumens, faster strobe (about 12-13 hz)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I agree the Fenix bezel/switch config is just about perfect; I'd improve it by making the bezel a three-position twist switch with low-med-hi 1st, turbo 2nd, strobe-sos 3rd. That way the extraneous flashy modes are separate from the light level modes.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really don't like memory modes.I have passed on lights like Olight and the LP Incendio because they have a memory mode.Fenix lights have a pretty decent UI that is easy to learn and many people are happy with it.

Stephan_L

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody,

starhalo wrote:
I agree the Fenix bezel/switch config is just about perfect; I'd improve it by making the bezel a three-position twist switch with low-med-hi 1st, turbo 2nd, strobe-sos 3rd. That way the extraneous flashy modes are separate from the light level modes.

I would not like this. Also the strobe is not at the top frequency, I use it seldom on aggressiv persons. I like the option to switch from max. brightness to the strobe. That's what I call the "Fenix tactical mode". They should just raise the frequency a little bit!

As both - strobe and SOS - are at the end of the modes, I have no problem and really feel no need for a third "flashing" beezel-position.

Just my 2€ ct.

Stephan

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like memory in some cases.

-On Fenixes/Quarks where you can twist for turbo/low I don't like it, esp with strobe/SOS on the end.
-For basic 3 mode L->M->H I like it alot.

On thing though with UIs that really ticks me off is a high reset time. If I turn a light off for one second I want it to go "off" and then "on to last mode" not be interpreted as a mode change. That's one of the reasons I love my Lumens Factory D26 3-mode drop-in, you can momentary on and then momentary on again less than a second later and it doesn't change modes. I wish all manufacturers would change their reset time down to less than half a second, even with a forward clicky you don't need that long to do a power cycle on the switch. Anyone else annoyed when they have to wait a few seconds before turning a light back on without it changing modes?

Ksailork

Newly Enlightened
Lights without strobe or S.O.S :thumbsup: to memory

Lights with strobe or S.O.S. :thumbsdow to memory
In a way, OLIGHT's UI is exactly this. Their strobe and SOS features exist as separate modes - you have to choose them and after you turn off the light, they never come back as remembered. The steady light is always your default mode and thus you are working with your three or five levels of brightness (ie. a light without strobe or SOS). You have the memory function on these levels. The memory function in the other modes can only be seen in the high-brightness SOS versus the low-brightness SOS; hardly a great annoyance.

That said, what really is poor about the design of the UI in the OLIGHTs, regardless of your feelings about memory, is that the level of brightness ramps down instead of up. An example, if I start out (or leave the memory set) on Low and decide I want a little more light, I have to go to Turbo next, then High and so on. It really is a harsh way to get more a bit more light.

And you will always have the two-handed UI to change brightness levels versus a one-handed UI debate going on.

Last edited:

Latest posts