Why I hate LED Flashlights and Lights

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
That makes me angry that you can barely only find blue wavelength LED night lights these days. You have to look really hard to find incan ones or bulbs for them. I've stocked up on what incan night lights and bulbs I could find recently. And it's kind of annoying that there's no such thing as ones with an on/off switch anymore, but that I can live without.

The night light market has been devistated by feature creep. Night light engineers just keep jumping the shark with every product revision. Give me back my Christmas bulb night lights! Where are you when I need you, Bugs? Mickey? Come back!

bykfixer

Flashaholic

I bought this night light for $125k.
It came with a free house.

It's 3'x1.5' wooden frame covered with red white and blue incan Christmas bulbs that was hanging in the den of the house I looked at. I told the real estate lady "tell the seller to throw in the house with that flag and they've got a deal."

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
That makes me angry that you can barely only find blue wavelength LED night lights these days. You have to look really hard to find incan ones or bulbs for them. I've stocked up on what incan night lights and bulbs I could find recently. And it's kind of annoying that there's no such thing as ones with an on/off switch anymore, but that I can live without.

Listed on staples and amazon website. I got the motion activated plug-in and really like it : specs claim 2700K and after eyes are dark adapted it is too much light for me.

https://www.maxximastyle.com/led-ni...-to-dawn-sensor-package-of-2-led-night-lights

bykfixer

Flashaholic

My wife put this in our bathroom.
I said "get that green beam outta there aaaaaauuugggh!!"

So these days it resides in the kitchen and the bathroom has a nice incan looking glow from a solar deck lamp in the window.

It's LED but has a nice amber glow about as bright as moonlight.

Last edited:

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep seeing this thread title pop up. Is there a Hatfield and McCoys deal going on that I'm not privy to? Just wanna know if i need to dust off ol' Betsy or not.

irongate

Enlightened

My wife put this in our bathroom.
I said "get that green beam outta there aaaaaauuugggh!!"

So these days it resides in the kitchen and the bathroom has a nice incan looking glow from a solar deck lamp in the window.

It's LED but has a nice amber glow about as bright as moonlight.

I'm sorry but that green what-ever bathroom light would have to go -WOW-sorry Mike-LOL

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I keep seeing this thread title pop up. Is there a Hatfield and McCoys deal going on that I'm not privy to? Just wanna know if i need to dust off ol' Betsy or not.

Not really. Just a few blokes digging on incan products. I suppose somebody will pop in and state how stupid an incan light is at some point... that's when you can load up ole Betsy...

I'm sorry but that green what-ever bathroom light would have to go -WOW-sorry Mike-LOL
That is why it's in the kitchen B.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I pour the powder from busted flourescents down the sink to share the carcinegons with everybody downstream.

Eh, just kidding but yeah a lot of potentially hazardous stuff goes into all those US government required light bulbs these days. Afterall... "we must save the planet" ..."it's for the children"

Last edited:

Mercyfulfate1777

Newly Enlightened
ill chime in briefly, I love led lights! but being oldschool i also love the old incans as well. I have blue leds on my HD that look really cool, especially rolling down the highway at 75 mph,lol

bykfixer

Flashaholic

When I can get a sustained 400+ lumens from a CR123 from an incan or 175+ from a 1x aa I'll stop using LED lights.

But I still prefer the incan when it's practical.
Especially those 6 volt 2 cell kind. I still grin ear to ear when letting go of the button and see that 3/4 second glow down.

Last edited:

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
Shhh... don't tell him that it won't be really be an incan bulb any more .... at least not in spectrum.

There was a thread in this section iirc about a project at MIT and another on Korea where nano technology being incorparated into incan bulbs has already yielded efficiency of LED's. One was using its own heat to generate more light and the other micro mirrors or something.
It was a crazy cool thing to see. If those ever become inexspensive and super caps prices come down...
That'll be a time when you'll hear crickets chirping in the LED section and all the cool kids will want to flock here.

Shhh! Let's keep this our little secret, ok? I like the peace n quiet of the incan section. Real ideas without all those stupid cri charts n graphs trying to prove maxing out R9 red means it's good.

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
I tried to let it go ... I really did.

1) I swear these blue socks were black ... oh well I am just camping. Oh look, that grass is actually green and not sort of some muddy green color. Back at the campground, let's switch back to the warm white LED, less glare.

2) Let's see, I am just out for a hike, a nice 40 lumens will do fine. It so nice not to need to carry extra batteries on a long night hike .. .... but now I am back in the camp site so I am going to dial it down to 5 so I don't disturb the kids sleeping. Is that a raccoon in the garbage? 200 lumens should do just fine.

3) See 2.

4) There are 8 different colors of wires in this harness. Good thing I am not using a incan that would not let me tell the difference between the blue and black wire, especially since the batteries would likely be running down and it would be practically red/orange. Again, nice to see grass close to the color we normally see it in sunlight.

5) Another long night hike tonight ... still on the same battery. This thing is awesome. I think I am going to sit and watch the stars for a while. Let's turn on the 660nm aux LEDs on this head lamp so I can make my way around a bit while not completely killing my night vision. The firefly mode is great ... could never do that with my old incan, but these 660's are even better!

6) I wonder what happened to John ... I swear he was right behind me. He had to stop and change a broken bulb. I hate it when that happens. We have been here a week and have hiked only 20 hours. You just never know with those things.

7) Back in the camper. Not tired so I think I am going to read for a while. I don't want to disturb anybody, so I am not going to use the main neutral white LED, even though it is much better for my vision for reading, so going to drop back down to the warm white LED again. It's a good high CRI version and has no more energy in the critical wavelengths for circadian rhythm than John's halogen flashlight ... and even better, I can turn mine just to the level I want. It's also nicely diffused.

Yup, these newfangled LED headlights are not perfect, but I forgot what a pain and how inflexible those old incans were. They remind me of all season tires ... or as my mechanic puts it, the wrong tire in every season.

Yeap I did away with many LEDs in my house.

1.) I am using flashlights to search for items either outside or inside, I need to be able to see colors that incandescent bulbs provide, and that white LED just washes out.

2.) Discreet searching. I feel like I'm holding a signaling devices rather than a flashlight with LED flashlights, seems like something to get someones attention with. See them before they see you right? Not let them see you with a bright LED looking for them (lets say an intruder) Another reason I like incans

3.) Why would I need a super bright light for just searching within 50 meters as most people do with their flashlights?

4.) This should be my #1, better on eyes, the light has a closer wavelength to normal sunlight I would say, helping them adjust better to what you are looking at especially at night.

5.) But LEDS have better battery life! Batteries are getting better, are cheap and rechargeable now a days it is something I am willing to risk with incans.

6.) But incans burn out way quicker than LEDS! I know a lot of people with incans that have gone for 10 years without a bulb burnout.

7.) Health. Blue light from LEDS is unseen that can disturb sleep rhythms and possibly increase the risk of serious health conditions, including cancer and cardiovascular disease. The AMA also cautioned that those light-emitting-diode lights can impair nighttime driving vision.

This just came out this September..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...7bbd53d2b5d_story.html?utm_term=.34ab1fa1db67

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't we all get along? I just bought a bi-pin for my M4 to have some Incan fun again. Even with this though, LEDs are just so much cheaper to run.
But then again incans provide such a nice glow and light.

Then we have HIDs which are just something cool. Really anyone should appreciate all forms of light. :D

LedTed

Enlightened

Several years back, when my now wife was my then girlfriend, she gifted me a blue LED keychain light. I had it for a long time, but it kind of finally fell apart. I always found the color very useable. And, I miss the light.

Last edited:

Latest posts