Why is it called a flashlight?

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
hehe we also call them "pocket lights", but the term "battery" (baterija) is also comonly used around here, not official though, but most people use it since it shorter than "žepna svetilka". Hm, though we do also use the term "svetilka" -light. :D :sick2:

Oh we have a very messed up language indeed.. :thinking:

So, what does this mean? "žepna svetilka"

POCKET light?
======

I was going to comment on the word flashlight in Swedish but the Swede beat me to it. In Spanish (Spain Spanish, not Mexican Spanish) it's Linterna which is simply, lantern.

I know what it is in Bulgarian but dammit if I know how to write it with Latin letters and still making you guys understand how to pronounce it but since I haven't been there since 68, I'm just going to guess that it's the equivalent to Lantern. The word itself I mean.

GEorge

davidt

Enlightened
Do any other Americans on this board think the term "torch" seem to make more sense than "flashlight". I sure think the term torch makes more sense than flashlight.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do any other Americans on this board think the term "torch" seem to make more sense than "flashlight". I sure think the term torch makes more sense than flashlight.

Not me! I hear torch and I'm thinking the kind they lit up to go into caves 500 years ago...sorry :candle:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every flashlight I have ordered from Hong Kong has "torch" on the customs label....maybe that's why they are taking so long to get here lately...the droids think someone is sending me an actual torch as opposed to a metal tube that emits rays of illumination.

NaturalMystic

Newly Enlightened
Back in Trinidad which was under English rule, it's usually still called a torchlight. I don't think it's changed since I left there in '87.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The complete Italian word is Torcia elettrica which I believe does not need an explanation. In short we call it a Torcia dropping the elettrica but in this way the term also applies to a burning torch such as the Olympic torch. :)

Liteskr42

Newly Enlightened
Why would Al Gore invent the flashlight.? At his "humble" abode he consumes more electricity than 200 of us commoners by lighting the whole place up inside and out like an amusement park. Well, some of that juice is to keep his olympic size pool heated 24/7 also.

He doesnt need flashlights, if he loses power he can just fire up the 20 generators onsite or just jump in his SUV and drive to the airport and take his private jet to another country that does have electricity .

T0RN4D0

Enlightened
Yep, "žepna svetilka" is a pocket light :) Its kind of normal since its a relatively new age thing, most of the europe is using the same term, just adjusted for their specific language. Pocket+lamp in a way that sounds right. :D

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
'FLASHLIGHT' AN ENGLISH TERM !!!!!!!

Oh dear, oh dear. Come to England and use the word Flashlight and the person you were talking to would ask you one of two things.

Do you mean Torch ?

or

Are you American ?

Us "'muricans" here stateside hear the word torch and think you're going witch hunting or welding metal, or "are you British?"

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, "žepna svetilka" is a pocket light :) Its kind of normal since its a relatively new age thing, most of the europe is using the same term, just adjusted for their specific language. Pocket+lamp in a way that sounds right. :D

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would Al Gore invent the flashlight.? At his "humble" abode he consumes more electricity than 200 of us commoners by lighting the whole place up inside and out like an amusement park. Well, some of that juice is to keep his olympic size pool heated 24/7 also.

He doesnt need flashlights, if he loses power he can just fire up the 20 generators onsite or just jump in his SUV and drive to the airport and take his private jet to another country that does have electricity .

He didn't really need the internet either but he still invented it, just to be cool... :D

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened
He didn't really need the internet either but he still invented it, just to be cool... :D

Sounds like something from a list of "Al Gore Invented…" facts in the same vein as Chuck Norris facts…