Why no manufacturer's use the xq-e hi led in aaa light?

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
AAA lights are great, they are so small, and they dissapear in the pocket until you need it. But they all have one thing in common. They are all floody. All of them. The reflectors are just too small to focus the led's that is normally used in led lights. So i wonder why no one uses the tiny xq-e hi led for those tiny reflectors? It's a great led for a aaa light. The beam get's mutch tighter, so the beam profile looks more like the larger (still small edc) light's like example the v-10r. Got two lumintop tool ti's. One is still stock with a cool white xp-g2, and one that i have modded with a neutral white (4000K) xq-e hi. The modded one with a xq-e hi intensety led, has a little more than double the lux, even when its a neurtal tinted led. Messured with a lux meter app on my phone. It is not the best messuring device, so i wont come with lux numbers, but it shows a little more than twice the lux compared the the common xp-g2.

So im thinking, if someone made a hard driven aaa light with a smooth reflector that is designed to focus the xq-e hi, we wold have a tiny aaa thrower. Well not quite a thrower, but compared with ALL the other aaa lights on the marked, a huge step up throw wise. But no manufacterers use this light in their aaa lineup.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't answer your question, I don't know the answer, but I'm curious about that emitter too. Where did you get yours for your mod? And what mcpcb did you use for that little thing?

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought mine from mouser. And found some 6mm copper mcpcb from a site in england. Also found some square 10mm mcpcb in alu. Can just grind off the edges on the sqare one. But went for the copper. There are not many types of mcpcb for this led, and the 6mm copper was small to work with. The reflowing was easy, but soldering the wires on without them being in conflict with the reflector was hard. So the next batch of mcpcb im ordering is going to be the square 10mm. That one had more distance between the contact points, so will be easy to solder the wires down without it's getting in the way of the reflector. The plan was to buy a L3 Illumination l08, and put a xq-e hi in it for a really throwy aaa light. Larger reflector than normal aaa lights, and its hard driven. But found out it's just fine in the standard aaa reflectors. I still think this led will scream in a L3 Illumination l08, but they are getting harder to find someone that ships to europe without paying alot in shipping.. and taxes..

steel_1024

Newly Enlightened
XQ-E Hi R2
33193521081_2a2bd9f0ed_z.jpg

XP-L Hi & XQ-E Hi
32478606564_542d544699_z.jpg

XP-E Q4 & XQ-E Hi R2
33166044742_5ebd5171b0_z.jpg

change......
32507121273_2414d956d1_z.jpg

The middle, LiteFlux LF2XT AAA
33193521451_a7ebbfaa2a_z.jpg

nice
33280661466_dbd44ed021_z.jpg

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know of the nitecore. Uses the qx-e, but not the hi (domeless) version.

Latest posts