why so much hate towards electric cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
We've had our "positive incentives" before to get people to buy more fuel efficient cars. Remember Cash for Clunkers? Turn in a working car to scrap for a rebate check. Took a good chunk out of the used car market for people that couldn't afford anything else and drove up demand for all other cars increasing prices. China got cheap metal at pennies on the dollar, and the program costed taxpayers billions.
Yes, the real elephant in the room is that all the "positive incentives" that they give, are taken directly out of our pockets.

"Hey, I found a few thousand dollars in your pocket and you should thank me for letting you have 10 dollars of it back, that is, if you allow me to run your life for you. By the way, keep working hard, because this is really tiring for me and I need more of your money so I can keep helping you like this."

Say what you will about the future and all that stuff, but EVs aren't going to solve any of that, it'll just cause more of this instead in more places until the power production is made stable.

Image 8-22-22 at 12.47 PM.jpg

Tim, The Tool Man, knew of that which he spoke.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Here's something to geek out on.

Any American gubment $ going towards this tech? It seems the answer is no at this point.
Bummer.
Not here but in Japan they made prototypes with 500 Wh/kg energy density:

MIT is doing some R&D also:

You also have iron-air:

Government should be putting R&D towards lots of things, including better batteries. Unfortunately, we don't because R&D without immediate benefits is often touted as wasteful spending, even though long-term the spending often more than pays for itself as new products get bought to market. It's similar to the "next quarter" mentality most CEOs have these days. They gut their R&D for more profits short-term, at the expense of the long-term. A great example of this is freight railroads. Long-term electrification of heavily-used mainlines will more than pay for itself in lower operating costs, but the payback period exceeds the typical CEO tenure. No CEO wants to preside over a loss while they're in charge.

I don't know if you've been following quantum computing but that has great potential to advance R&D. In computer simulations you can try out endless combinations until you hit on something that looks promising. The problem is even today's supercomputers often lack the power to run simulations on more than a few scenarios. Scientists pick they ones they think are most likely to work but that could miss a lot of better candidates. With quantum computing you could test endless combinations. For example, we could try different electrode and cathode materials for batteries, while also seeing which are most likely to stand up to repeated charge/discharge cycles. This saves lots of time because you don't end up physically building and testing batteries which don't pan out in the real world.

If the entire world went all electric for automobiles tomorrow the carbon footprint would shrink from a size 11 to a 10.5. Maybe a 10. Lots and lots and lots of life as we know it depends on fossil fuels, which btw does not result from every dinasaur on planet earth being herded to Saudi Arabia or the middle east, dying and becoming oil. But that's another story.
I know the media and government both hype carbon footprint but that's not the primary advantage of electric cars if you ask me. Sure, long term as we clean up the grid EVs allow us to go carbon-neutral, whereas ICEs inherently can't. Anyway, the main benefits for EVs are eliminating tailpipe exhaust, and engine noise. In population centers especially these are the worst effects of motor vehicles. Long-term reducing illnesses caused by air pollution will also help reduce carbon footprints. Hospitals have huge carbon footprints once you count all the medical supplies, and the energy they consume.

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
it amazes me how powerful a electric motor can be, check out some of the high end electric skateboards

jtr1962

Flashaholic
it amazes me how powerful a electric motor can be, check out some of the high end electric skateboards
Or watch this:

Keep in mind the locomotive is accelerating an 8 coach train weighing about 550 tons total. And also it's traction-limited, not power-limited, until about 55 mph.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
was just reading about a bmw gas engine with 600 hp!!!!! out of a 2.0 litter engine thats crazy

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It just occurred to me that while firewood-powered steam cars were impractical 100 years ago because of difficulty with fine control of the burner to maintain boiler pressure it would probably be possible to make a steam-electric hybrid with a battery pack between the steam turbine and the electric motors that could deal with a firewood-powered boiler.

Then again I suppose as long as the burner was electrically controlled with fan-forced air you could probably get pretty fine control of temperature and pressure even without a hybrid solution.

Hmm...
You do know the reason folks want us to go EV is because of CO2 emissions don't you? Burning firewood releases stored carbon making CO2.... so it won't be allowed for a production vehicle. I'm surprised they allow wood burning stoves in stores any more

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
was just reading about a bmw gas engine with 600 hp!!!!! out of a 2.0 litter engine thats crazy
Back in the 80s I read about a porche with a 1.5L motor putting out in excess of 500HP. They had to weld the heads on it the compression was insanely high I think it was a turbo. The racing Merkur XR4TI had a 2.3L motor putting out 600HP back then also.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
crazy i think the reason i hated gas motors was the 70s and 80s dang big ole 454 inch engines making like 130 hp lol

bridgman

Enlightened
You do know the reason folks want us to go EV is because of CO2 emissions don't you? Burning firewood releases stored carbon making CO2.... so it won't be allowed for a production vehicle. I'm surprised they allow wood burning stoves in stores any more
Sure, but growing the trees for more firewood absorbs CO2 and sequesters it. Biomass is generally considered renewable as far as I know, and firewood is the original biomass.

EVs are often indirectly powered by coal or natural gas anyways, although I think we all expect the proportion to go down over time.

bridgman

Enlightened
Back in the 80s I read about a porche with a 1.5L motor putting out in excess of 500HP. They had to weld the heads on it the compression was insanely high I think it was a turbo. The racing Merkur XR4TI had a 2.3L motor putting out 600HP back then also.

1968 - 50cc, 3 cylinder, 19hp, 14 speed gearbox. The previous year's 2 cylinder bikes were running at almost 120 MPh on ~16 horsepower.

IIRC the rules changed in 1968 limiting 50cc race bikes to 1 cylinder and 6 speeds. Kinda took the fun out of it I guess.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Listen how chill these engineers are talking about bleeding edge turbocharging in the 80s'
Basic 4 cylinder road car block was the base...

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you think people hate on EV, you should hang around with an eBike for a while. When a hater comes along they are literally pathologically obsessive about it.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where is the power coming from? Power plants are having to dump more oil and coal just to keep up with electricity to run it it's actually probably doing worse for the environment right now. But I like them myself.
If you are going to think about the "long tailpipe" issue with an EV, you also need to consider it for an ICE.

That gas in an ICE fuel tank doesn't just "appear out of thin air". It's drilled, shipped, refined, shipped again, (consuming huge amounts of energy, releasing huge amounts of pollution, and causing wear and tear all over the infrastructure at every step) and then put into an ICE car... where it pollutes again every time, and for the entire time, the vehicle is operated.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Sure, but growing the trees for more firewood absorbs CO2 and sequesters it. Biomass is generally considered renewable as far as I know, and firewood is the original biomass.

EVs are often indirectly powered by coal or natural gas anyways, although I think we all expect the proportion to go down over time
Where do you think coal comes from?

Status
Not open for further replies.