Will I turn into a Maglite fan once again?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Each year about this time I celebrate March Magness by adding to the Maglite quiver. It started the March that the ML25 was available. Many were acquired at WalMarts or Home Depot since Maglite web site had things priced much higher. One year the Maglite site did not have the 2 speed 2D classic yet so I bought that at Grainger.

This years March Magness was celebrated in Nov/Dec 2020 during the 30% off black friday sale and 25% off during the 25 days of Christmas sale. So last evening while lurking the site there just wasn't much I wanted that I don't already have. Realizing I no longer have a black gen 2 ML25, I did contemplate pulling the trigger on one of those and perhaps a 127 lumen aa minimag with the HALO logo on it, but I emptied the cart and went to bed instead.

I probably will end up grabbing that minimag at some point. 127 lumens with 6k+ cd sounds good to me.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other night, I dug out my old 77 lumen MM and set it up as a lantern with a 3D printed base and defiuser. The flashing beacon mode should work real well for marking the location of a camp site or the like.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That's pretty cool double x

It was actually a NASAR logo on the minimag. National Search and Rescue. I bought that and a digital camo minimag holster combo that are both 127 lumens with nearly 7k candela. And while at it I tossed in a NASAR solitaire. I just prefer to buy lights that a portion of the proceeds goes to a charity.

Btw the SW30 code did not work. It seems this round it only works for the long run ML300.
So March Magness continued for 2021.

TwiceFuzed

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone had issues with mode changing on the 2nd gen ml25lt? I have been trying the eneloops with c adapters and I have to turn off/on several times to get the high mode selected.

I'm really enjoying my ML25LT when it has fresh batteries. Once the batteries drop down to 1.32 volts each or ~2.65 volts together, the lights do not want to turn on in high mode most of the time. It will reliably turn on, but it comes on either in low mode or sometimes it turns on with an output that is less than low mode. Cycling it from off to on a few times will usually get it to come on in high mode. It does this with both my Amazonbasics C rechargeable batteries and brand new AA eneloops in C adapters.

I ran down a set of eneloops a tad until it started having the switching issue and then got it to turn on in high mode and let it run in high mode for around 2 hours until the batteries were almost completely discharged and it dimmed significantly. The batteries can clearly put out plenty of current to run the light. However, unless the batteries are fresh off the charger it is difficult to get the lights to turn on in high mode.

Both of my brand new ML25LTs do this. Is anybody else having this issue?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I keep an ML25 fed by eneloops in the door of my truck and today at 40 degrees I tried it out to see if it would start on high. It did not but hi was available. Actually I'm ok with that.

Edit: brought the ML25 inside and let it warm up a while. It still starts on low. It still has high available and I'm still ok with that.
Now the one I have on a shelf fed by PowerX cells and the one I gave Mrs Fixer fed by Rayovac alkalines both work normal. Easily prompt high to low consistantly where the eneloop fed one does not prompt high to low and back consistantly but at times takes two or three tries to change the setting. I'll try some eneloop pro cells soon but the pro's are at 1.28/9 volts and the regular at 1.32 volts.
End edit

Next morning edit:
Fresh off the charger at 1.52 volt regular eneloops were installed and it works normal again. No struggle with mode changes either. The eneloop pro cells are still charging. I stuck them on a charger last night but unplugged it about a half hour later. Now the pro cells have been in a pair of 1 cell lights I rarely use for 3+ years so at 1.28/9 volts that says a lot about how well they avoid self discharge. Both lights are direct drive so the eneloop pro were chosen for their more steady flow that means the lights dim less quickly.
End next morning edit.

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
BF - I'm unfamiliar with this light, and a bit confused by all this, but when you get to root cause I hope you'll net this out for my simple mind, as it sounds 'disturbing' (in an interesting way:) and I'd like to understand.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The ML25 is in essence a 2C sized minimag. They did a 3 cell one that's much like carrying a Stinger (pre-big head) size minimag. They came out in late 2016 and sold pretty well due to a $20/25 price tag at WalMart, Home Depot etc. Now while the flashlight world was crossing the 1000 lumen mark Maglite put out a sub-200 lumen light. But……it has a small LED so it throws very well. 25,000+ candella from 170 something lumens. It throws like a 7D Maglite.

In 2019 Maglite upgraded the 2 cell version to have 192 lumens (w/28,000+ candela) and a low of around 40% give or take. Twist it on like a minimag and a quick twist for low. Now many here shy away from alkaline batteries so eneloop in C size adapters are popular. Some are saying theirs won't do the high mode with eneloops. Mine fed by eneloops was acting erratic. Now it had been riding in my truck door for 18 months or so without charging the batteries. It only gets used occasionaly and usually for short bursts. The other day I noticed mine was misbehaving in cold air so I let it warm up and same thing happened. After charging up my batteries it worked normal again.

8-EEA58-B8-252-A-4204-B90-D-3-D99-F269-A8-D2.jpg

Top to bottom
- aaa minimag LED
- aa minimag LED
- 2 cell ML25 LED
- 3 cell ML25 LED (with Stinger Anti-roll)
- Stinger LED (with Stinger ant-roll)

Maglite also made an incan version of the ML25.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eneloops may be better than alkalines, but they are still not that great in the cold. In cold temps they lose power and go dead quick. Energizer L91 ultimate lithiums are the way to go for improved cold weather performance (down to – 40), but these are not rechargeable.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A digital camo 127 lumen version aa minimag arrived today along with what was labeled at Maglite as the 127 lumen version with the NASAR logo on it. (National Association for Search And Rescue.) Turns out the NASAR is an updated to either 272 or 332 as I can't really tell. It has Energizer Max batteries that expire May 2030 so I suppose it's the 332 lumen version.

It's pretty obvious it's not the 127 lumen version by all that extra side lighting and when holding it lit side by side with the 127 lumen version the spot is pretty similar. To this point I had not really cared for those really bright minimags but today I found an appreciation for this 272/332 version but will probably prefer the 127 lumen version simply because it does not have all that bright side lighting. It's more like using a double a sized ML25.

69261-B64-417-C-42-CF-A3-B5-3967887-E6614.jpg

Also bought a NASAR clad Solitaire
This was my annual March Magness purchase for 2021.

Last edited:

The Hawk

Enlightened
Hey gang. I just saw on Maglite's website that they are offering 30% off their entire collection. Use code SPD30 for discount. I ordered a ML300L 4D model last month when they did that. It is quite a torch! Sale is for today only. Good hunting.

rrego

Enlightened
Hey all, did Maglite update/bump up the output of the ML50L 3-C cell model to 705 lumens?

I came across one on the bay and purchased. I was searching for the ML50L 2 or 3 cell model specifically, noticed that many of the 3-C cell models are reasonably priced. I kept scrolling and scrolling and came across that one, was the only one that had these updated figures.

I could tell by the pictures on the listing, that there are updated stickers on both sides of the clamshell with the updated figures.

I went onto Mag's website but did not find this updated info. I hope it is not counterfeit :duh2:

I'll find out when it comes in.

The info per the stickers of the 705 lumen model are:
High: 9 Hours 45 Minutes
Low: 43 Hours
Eco: 184 Hours

The specs on the 611 lumen models that I see on the packaging are:
High: 16 Hours
Low: 42 Hours
Eco: 153 Hours

I don't know how to decipher all of this info, other than the High is lower runtime than the 611 lumen model. It simply caught my attention due to the updated specs and curiosity. I know it wont be very noticeable but still cool to have an updated model if that is the case.

I do already have a 611 lumen model (3-C) and a 490 lumen model (2-C).

Last edited:

Yates

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, did Maglite update/bump up the output of the ML50L 3-C cell model to 705 lumens?

Mag does this a lot it seems, silent updates.

This could explain why prices for the ML50L 3-C have come down recently, seeing some listings under $20.

Would be great if you could post the full model number, or a pic of the label.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When Maglite updated the 2D classic to 213 lumens and hi/lo the model number remained the same. I ordered one from Grainger who sent the old version. They responded "oops, keep the old one" and had the new version overnight'd to me.
Point being you get what you get if you base it off a model number. The idea, especially if you are buying at eBay or Amazon is to make sure the output of the one that particular seller offers. Often times I'll place orders on things because it is listed as an older version and end up with the newest version of Streamlight, Coast and other brand's products.

Yates

Newly Enlightened
2D classic LED.

Different part and model numbers, but same UPC which is kind of annoying.

Here is a 213 lumens label.

Y8TZ4uB.jpg

And here you have a 168 lumens label.

QdVuACQ.jpg

rrego

Enlightened

This could explain why prices for the ML50L 3-C have come down recently, seeing some listings under $20.

Yates - I don't know how to post pics :shakehead, but I could PM them to you from the listing, if you'd like to post. I see you do know how to post pics.

rrego

Enlightened

I think this worked?

Yes! I figured it out! :crackup:
IqEk6zh.png

nM1Hz9r.png

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enjoy the pricing US citizens, anywhere else in the world and its near double the cost.