Will I turn into a Maglite fan once again?

maglite mike

Enlightened
Wow bykfixer, I think that ML125 is a neat light and well worth what mag is charging for it. I think maglite has really reduced their online prices and except for shipping they are quite reasonable. I wish the ML50 and ML300 also adjusted like that. They don't say how many lumens the ML125 has on the maglite website, but I think it used to be in the lower 100 lumen category unless they also improved it. I also would like to see some eye candy-- whoops, I mean beamshots. Thanks for showing that adjustment technique bykfixer. When you get a new light you never leave us in the dark about it. ;)

Ml125 is 191 lumens with c cells and approx 185 lumens with the rechargeable battery. Perfect for most applications since it has a long run time

maglite mike

Enlightened
I've got the MagTac rechargeable.
Nice light. I got the 1st gen though. The eco mode has a short runtime. But its a perfect nightstand light next to the .45 to always be ready if something goes bump in the night.

I highly recomend the XL200. Its been my edc for about 5 years now. I always read on here how much people love a good user interface. The XL200 quickly became second hand operation. I love the ability to truly select the level of brightness between full power and dim with just a subtle wrist rotation.

Xl 200 is a great edc. I wish they made a rechargable version. The UI is unique and user friendly.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have used eneloops in an XL50 but not the XL200 that recently arrived because all I have are used in other lights. In high drain lights eneloop pro.

I finally convinced the ocd voices that the MagTac numbers suggest it has a 2aa minimag beam and not an ML25 max thrower capable one. It would probably just collect dust on a shelf. I liked the old, short head thrower beam of the incan aa minimag but found the newer/brighter ones don't give me that 6D in a shirt pocket beam. So I use a aaa version a lot more. If I did not already own a bunch of 6 volt lights by Elzetta, Malkoff, Streamlight, Surfire and others I'd probably opt for a MagTac knowing what I know about flashlights. Especially now that they are $50 and 55. But I suppose it's people like me are why the MagTac does not sell very well.

To me a Maglite is a special tool with a special purpose. That purpose is to provide light in darkness as far as my eyes can make out details. If only Tony had done that with the MagTac beam……

Last edited:

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
I have used eneloops in an XL50 but not the XL200 that recently arrived because all I have are used in other lights. In high drain lights eneloop pro.

I finally convinced the ocd voices that the MagTac numbers suggest it has a 2aa minimag beam and not an ML25 max thrower capable one. It would probably just collect dust on a shelf. I liked the old, short head thrower beam of the incan aa minimag but found the newer/brighter ones don't give me that 6D in a shirt pocket beam. So I use a aaa version a lot more. If I did not already own a bunch of 6 volt lights by Elzetta, Malkoff, Streamlight, Surfire and others I'd probably opt for a MagTac knowing what I know about flashlights. Especially now that they are $50 and 55. But I suppose it's people like me are why the MagTac does not sell very well.

To me a Maglite is a special tool with a special purpose. That purpose is to provide light in darkness as far as my eyes can make out details. If only Tony had done that with the MagTac beam……

Regular eneleoops worked well as well. Pros just give that extra bit of run time.
How you liking the 200?

My MagTac rechargeable just sorta sits in its cradle awaiting the unknown. The most use it saw was with one of the recent hurricanes and working staging areas. As mentioned earlier, i got a 1st gen and has a really low run time on high AND low which is disappointing, especially when seeing the advertised run times on newer models.
Being a "tactical" light, doesnt it seem appropriate to be more ideal for close-quarters lighting instead of lighting up a pasture?

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Mag Tac. I have the plain bezel 2X CR123 version, and it throws about as well as can be expected with a 1 inch reflector and a XP-G LED. They could have got a bit more throw with a XP-E, but then people would gripe about the lumens being too low – going to a XML would give more lumens, but would be a waste because it would reduce the throw noticeably. As it is now, I think it throws at least as well as the Elzetta Bones, though I would prefer a more neutral tint on the Mag Tac along with a metal pocket clip. The grenade grip on the Mag Tac is very comfortable and secure and the hard ano seems very thick and well done. The smaller diameter head makes it easy to carry, though I would love to see Mag come out with a longer throw version with a bit larger head and a smaller less lumens/higher throw LED with a nice neutral tint. Making it dual fuel to also run on 18650's would be a big plus as well.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yeah, I get why Tony chose the beam in the MagTac Gas. Close quarters like you said. I just can't get myself to pull the trigger since I have so many tactical lights already.

I carry the XL200 with me each night in my jacket pocket. If I was super sensitive about having the output settings dialed into X or Y lumens I'd find the accelorometer clumbsy at best. Even slight movement can make big changes. But I'm not. Since it arrived my work has involved mixed lighting where the near snoot beam falls short of the distance I need at times and the spill I need at other times. It just aint the right tool for the job. Like needing pliers instead of a screwdriver. But I like the light. I always liked to XL50 but again it was similar in output to the XL200 so it didn't get used much on night shift roadway maintenance. I think that's why I have avoided the MagTac.

Once the night shift is over the XL200 will become one of my 'adjustable wrench' type flashlights though. I really like the ability to dial in how low or high I want the output. And it tailstands. I set the strobe to "beacon" about once a second so I really like that ability too. Setting 4 is pretty cool for nature calls. Grab the light, twist it a little and it turns off, get done, twist til it shuts off and put it back on the bedside table. I probably won't use snooze mode and hopefully never need sos.
I do like how you can cut the power via tailcap twist and when restoring power it remembers the output and setting it was on. If you had it on snooze mode and cut the power, upon restoring power it's still on snooze mode.
Yup, once I figured out the XL200 I liked it a lot.

Last edited:

Jaxon

Newly Enlightened
Maglite certainly has its place in the history of flashlights,and was once the go to light to have.
i personally hope they revamp their lineup to bring it into modern times.
i would like to see a 1aa light come from them.
i still keep a Incan mini 2aa by my bed.

hsa

Enlightened
It doesn't hurt that the mag tac is one of the best looking cr 123 lights out there. I like the grenade grip. I think that the ml 50l with the grenade grip is the best looking flashlight ever made and I don't have one. Just sayin.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
You are not helping me hush the ocd voices hsa. :ohgeez: lol
(places fingers in ears) la la la la la la……

I'm thinking spectrum warm aa minimag is next on my list. That or the XL50 in warm. :whistle:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I gave my yellow SureFire G2x Pro a hug and the ocd voices went away. Nice neutral beam, starts on a very useable low and the 320 lumen high gives my 600+ lumen Elzetta Bones a good run. Sorry Maglite.
But a trip to Wally world is in order later for another ML25.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Compared to the ML25 when fully focused, the ML100 has a smaller hot spot and a very slightly larger spill beam, the ML125's spot is about the same size as the ML25 with a slightly larger spill. The ML50 has a larger spot by far (much higher lumens than the others) with a slightly smaller spill than the ML25.

If the lumens were the same, the ML100 would probably be the best thrower, followed by the ML25. As it is the, two top throwers are the ML50 and the ML25 - the ML50 achieves this by pumping out 3-6X the lumens of the other lights. My personal favorite is the ML25, as it puts out a very nice beam with decent tint without too many lumens, which often work against you producing glare.

Do you find the beam of the ML100 has that early 2D LED blue tint? I'm ok with it if so, but was just wondering.

I went to Maglite looking for sales and found some ML100's for $25/27 (2 or 3 C). Now I found it odd that they both have identical specs (listed). Meh, so I bought one of each. Looking at the numbers they definitely look like classic Maglite throwers.

Oh, and 192 lumen ML25's are now $20 there. Cool. My local stores only carry black or gray. But my favorite Maglite aside from pewter (now called gray) has always been the easy to spot in low light polished alluminum. So……

Anyway the ML100 specs listed there.

3-B3027-B8-6710-460-A-A797-DC8-B8-C8-C5-BB0.jpg

2 cell

005-A69-E4-4190-47-CF-82-F0-EDF51-D696-BBB.jpg

3 cell
So, could it be the 3 cell has the same runtime because of a regulator keeping it brighter longer than the 2 cell version? Or what?

Edit: Robin cleared it up……
47-D25-A67-D872-481-B-B85-D-B4-FA94-C9-B2-A5.jpg

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ML100 has some of that old LED tint thing going on in the corona mostly, the hot spot is not too bad, better than my ML125, though I am sure there's a lottery when it comes to tint on these.

I wonder if Mag is ever going to come out with funky colors for the ML25's – a blaze orange or neon lime green would be great!

325addict

Enlightened
But that's exactly what I mean: for THIS money you won't find a better one. Sure, Surefire is always better but... 3 times as expensive if you get the SF CHEAP, otherwise even more expensive. That's comparing apples to peaches...

Yes, literally any single or dual-output surefire. Cr123 instead of C-cell but still. Better too because its no Alkaline cell and has a longer shelf life. Of cause its a more expensive option than a maglite, but there are SureFires to be had arround 70 bucks.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
But that's exactly what I mean: for THIS money you won't find a better one. Sure, Surefire is always better but... 3 times as expensive if you get the SF CHEAP, otherwise even more expensive. That's comparing apples to peaches...

Surefire is not always better. When I got my Mag Tac, I had a Surefire 6PX and when I compared the two side by side, feature for feature and the Mag Tac was clearly the better light. The Mag Tac was better built (sure the clip was plastic, but at least it had a clip). The 6PX had a slightly warmer tint which was good though it was also a bit green. The Mag Tac has that nice electronic tail switch, grenade grip, and the smaller 1 inch head makes it easier to carry. The 6PX was nice but the Mag Tac beat it, not just on price but on features and even build quality, in my opinion.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I suppose a minimag style clip would just be too soft on a 1" light.
I tried the elzetta speed clip on an XL50 but it would not stay in place. Too slippery. It does stay in place on a Malkoff though, so perhaps the grenade grip shaping on the MagTac would keep it place.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose a minimag style clip would just be too soft on a 1" light.
I tried the elzetta speed clip on an XL50 but it would not stay in place. Too slippery. It does stay in place on a Malkoff though, so perhaps the grenade grip shaping on the MagTac would keep it place.

I am kinda hard on clips, I often bend or break metal clips on knives and I am sure I would end up breaking the Mag Tac's plastic clip if I carried it everyday clipped to a pocket. Normally, I carry it in a belt pouch and only occasionally carry it clipped to a pocket – haven't broken the clip yet. I do like the Mag Tac clip for another reason – it improves the feel and security of the grip and keeps the light form twisting in the hand. Might have to try one of the Elzetta clips, I like that they used a wire clip like Spyderco uses on some of their knives – very nice!

A wire clip from the factory would be great if Mag ever gets around to up dating the Mag Tac, along with a newer LED and 18650 dual fuel capability. A throwier long range version as I mentioned would be great too, though I think it would be hard to beat the ML25 for throw and impossible to to beat the ML25 for price. Hey maybe Mag could be persuaded to come out with an LX version of the ML25 with a hard ano'd grenade grip and a electronic tail switch?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I use the XL50 clip on my 200 for the same reason you do xxo.

Perhaps a cross between a MagTac and ML25 would be in order. ie a Maglite version of the AVS/Backup series of lights. Slight trademark Maglite bell shaping up front, dual fuel capable, an optic instead of reflector to maximize spot and spill, XL electronic switch, potentially have an array of settings choices like the ML series, a more neutral output, all at a Maglite price.

And some ML25LX would definitely be ok with me.

Oh, and their web site now has the updated 2D classic LED shown. $30 too, where they were $35 in the wild whenever you could find one. A few choices of colors now too. They say 2 and 3 cell available but only show 2 cell on the site at this time.
F72-B393-E-4-AAF-4-C4-A-8821-B115211-C33-FD.jpg

Last edited: