Worse flashlight feature by far

flashflood

Enlightened
Proprietary batteries. There is no excuse for an 18650 light not accepting any 18650 cell, protected or unprotected, flat or button. It's not freaking hard. I simply won't buy these lights anymore, even if they are otherwise excellent.

ledbetter

Enlightened
Worst flashlight feature is when it does this. toy for tots runs on 3 aa's.
3F02CA3C-0A33-4906-9ADB-C16900007476.jpeg

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Electronic switches that have a high parasitic drain. I have a maglite which will deplete its cells in around 6 months even when not used unless I unscrew the tailcap. It's not a big deal but it is something I don't like. I do like the switch though

For many it is a deal breaker if you don't use a light regularly it makes it useless when it dies on you after a short time in emergency use and if it has multiple cells in series in it you can damage batteries this way as I've had many of the more fragile Chinese LSD (Rayovac Hybrids) that were damaged badly many losing 1/4 to 1/2 of their capacity due to parasitic drain in devices that I didn't know about till 6 months later. Luckily I have a analyzer/charger that did help some of the cells recover from overdischarge but even after running a complete refresh cycle series some of the 2100mah AAs measured about 1200mah capacity which pretty much takes them out of general usage in devices in series in devices. I made the mistake of buying several LED lanterns that were very nice but the fatal flaw was they all ended up completely discharged about 6 months later and for a lantern that pretty much makes it a piece of junk IMO. If a device drains batteries to half in less than about 3-5 years. I do like the switches over reverse clickies if the drain is not an issue though.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Electronic switches that have a high parasitic drain. I have a maglite which will deplete its cells in around 6 months even when not used unless I unscrew the tailcap. It's not a big deal but it is something I don't like. I do like the switch though
What model (rechargeable?) ML switches are draining batts?

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ml50lx. I had 3 good eneloops in adapters. In about 6 months I went to use it and wouldn't go brighter than eco. Fresh cells brought it back to life. Unscrewed the tailcap and the cells last now

bykfixer

Flashaholic
ML50,100,125,150……300, XL50,100,200.
And if you don't cut the circuit on the 125 and 150's it murders the battery since neither model battery has a low voltage protection.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I've had lights like this. Not good.... sits around for months, go to use it, dead.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least in my case, I just turned back the tailcap half of a turn and it locks it out. Then when I need to use it all I have to do is turn of the tail Kapa little bit. So it's not too big of a deal

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Worst feature on a flashlight is a NON-replaceable rechargeable battery. I suppose there is a way to force the flashlight open and replace the battery, but it shouldn't be so hard. What a waste.

My other big gripe involves flashlights that can easily turn on accidentally. I'm referring mostly to keychain lights, and I detest having to "lockout" a light.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I'm gonna go with proprietary cells. I won't buy a flashlight that uses them anymore. I have "accepted" the use of non-replaceable cells in certain other lights because I can. I am confidant that I could disassemble the light and replace it if needed but I probably will never need to.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
ML50,100,125,150……300, XL50,100,200.
And if you don't cut the circuit on the 125 and 150's it murders the battery since neither model battery has a low voltage protection.
So the whole ML line of LED flashlights have parasitic drain, with exception of the twisty on/offs.
Flashlights not in rotation or not used often I unscrew a quarter turn as well, it's a habit 👍

bykfixer

Flashaholic
They have an electronic switch, so yes parasitic drain.
Some of my mechnical switch lights deplete the battery too. Elzetta Bones I keep in my truck, an old incan Streamlight TL-2 shockproof, Fenix E05, Elzetta Alpha 315, and nearly all of my antique lights do. All using primary cells so it does not seem to be due to self-discharging rechargeables.

Worst feature? When engaging the on switch and no light comes out, regardless why.