WTB: 5mm Headlamp, Rear Battery Pack, AA, Under $50...?

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I thought I was the only one who felt that way. I think the beam profile of your typical 5mm LED offers one of the best for all-around use but especially for hiking at night. It's why the Tikka2 is one of my favorite headlamps despite the healthy competition it has with other arguably "better" headlamps.

I have a few Petzl Tikka Plus 4x5mm LED headlamps and they still get used.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would buy the PT Corona and be done with it. PT has great CS.

I will probably try it at some point, but right now, I am still considering. This being an unbelievably cerebral hobby, I like to dwell and consider and evaluate for some time first. I find it helps prevent (but not eliminate) impulse buys, and improves the chances I will get something I really like and will truly use. But I believe you about their customer service, and definitely appreciate your enthusiasm for the light. :)

@Bicycleflyer:

1) For the Black Diamond Zenix IQ, you said that once you select the mode you want, i.e., two floody 5mm diodes, it will turn on in that mode. Does that mean you can then turn it off in that mode as well, or, do you need to cycle through something else first?

2) How many hours runtime on the brightest setting on the 5mm diodes do you get?

skidad

Newly Enlightened

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, wow; I didn't know about that!

I really think charging for a top strap as an "extra" is crazy. A top strap should be included. Removable, perhaps, but not omitted.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
@Bicycleflyer:

1) For the Black Diamond Zenix IQ, you said that once you select the mode you want, i.e., two floody 5mm diodes, it will turn on in that mode. Does that mean you can then turn it off in that mode as well, or, do you need to cycle through something else first?

2) How many hours runtime on the brightest setting on the 5mm diodes do you get?

Question 1.... Yes, after about 3 to 5 seconds on in any mode, the next click will turn it off. Then the next time you switch it on, it will come back on in that mode. Now if you "soft" press the button the LEDs will get dim. If you switch it off while dim, then switch it back on, it comes back on in bright. I pulled out my Zenix IQ and double checked all this before posting.

Question 2.... Not really sure, never timed it, but I have never had to worry about my batteries. Maybe you can find the answer on BD's website. Maybe they maintain some kind of archive. But the IQ has a little light on the side that blinks green or red. Green tells you the batteries are good and red of course tells you it's time to replace. The constant blinking makes it nice to find in a dark bag, but it also uses power even when not switched on. But that is true of any voltage regulation. I use NiMh and get very good performance.

Last edited:

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
@LedAdd1ct

I was browsing around BD's website and came across the "Icon" It has a rear mounted battery pack, uses 3 AA batteries, has 4 5mm LEDs, uses a top strap,.... Still has that ultrabight LED, but the UI seems to be identical to the Zenix IQ that I explained above. It also has the power meter for the batteries. Best of all...it is available. It retails for 65 USD, but I think some shopping around will find you one close to your price point.

I think that would be an awesome light.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, robo, I believe it is, if it has just one mode. If it has multiple modes, then it is not.

@Bicycleflyer, thank you very much for checking for me. I definitely appreciate having concrete facts to work with, derived from the experience of a CPF member rather than promotional literature found through a deep google.

borrower

Enlightened
Have you considered having an unholy union of an old petzl zoom (rear battery, takes 3-aa with extra adapter) and an old petzl tikka (slide on/slide off switch)? Although the zooms go for way more than I'd pay on ebay (and I suspect the tikkas are a little bit rare), it's an easy solder job to mash them together. Between the two of them, no extra parts required.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hadn't thought of that, and it is an interesting suggestion, but I am confident I can get the models I am examining (mentally) if I am patient.

I just scored a great deal on a Zenix IQ, which I'll test once it arrives. It was so cheap, in fact, that even if I don't care for it, I will probably gift it rather than resell it.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my Zenix IQ, and here is what I do and don't like about it:

Do Like

-mode memory works perfectly, like my Favourlight mini lantern
-takes 2xAA cells
-"Find Me" indicator is useful

Don't Like

-twin LEDs aren't as bright as four 5mm LEDs
-LEDs are blue (don't see why they can't be upgraded)
-front housing doesn't manipulate as easily as Moonlight Pro

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two most substantive reviews on the Corona I found in my search are here and here.

Out of respect for the website that helped pull me into this hobby, here is another review here.

I really, really wish it had mode memory, so I could turn it on in the five LED mode always.

The output vs. runtime graph with alkalines doesn't impress, but it could be that with Eneloops things are much flatter, as vtunderground's table suggests.

I will continue to hunt for a Moonlight Pro (if you live in Spain, please contact me), and may try the Foxfury Performance Work and Safety when there is a killer deal or sale.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PT Corona is a great light. I definitely agree with that recommendation. If you want something a little dimmer with a 5 lumen low, you might consider the Icon Irix II headlight. It doesn't have a rear battery pack and it does have a dimmer, but the settings are close to what you want (50 lumens on high, 5 lumens on low). It takes AA batteries, only one actually. It's waterproof, and should be well built as the Icon lights are designed by someone who worked designing Surefire lights. Personally though, the Corona is probably the closest match you'll get. Push the on button, then the other button and you should have 50% brightness (about 45 lumens). One l.e.d. run at 50% brightness should give you about 5 lumens (the lowest setting). On low the light will last a long time. Using the light at a 50% brightness setting will use 33% the power of having any number of l.e.d.s at full brightness.

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not all is lost. I intend to find someone to help me replace the 5mm blue Nichias(?) with something brighter and purer white. I used the lamp last night for bathroom trip in the middle of the night, and it worked well. The modes aren't there when you don't want them, and are when you do. It's not a bad headlamp at all, just not "it." Even with its old power emitter, looking into the main diode on flashing mode is quite painful. I will trial it as a walking light, not to see my feet, but to look into incoming traffic on walks so cars see me. When I walk at night without a flashlight I usually hop onto a yard or curb. I have a feeling with this on my head, blinking the main LED, it won't be an issue of being seen.

I am still trying to find someone in Spain to help me order the Moonlight Pro (please contact me if you live there), but the Zenix IQ is a cool lamp in its own right. Part of the reason I got it was because of the suggestions here, and I don't regret getting it. As flashoholics (is that capitalized?), we can be very picky, and the difference between a good light and getting "it" can be subtle, and without a doubt highly subjective.