X4.5 solar flare

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunspot AR 3663 just let out an X 4.5 solar flare. We'll see if it caused a CME soon, but at that level, if it aims at earth, it should cause a strong geomagnetic storm (great time to see auroras). Hopefully doesn't cause any problems.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might be too early tonight to see anything even if this solar flare produced a CME, but the three X1+ flares the same sunspot produced in the last few days should have at least one hit us within the next 48 hours. Sounds like the sunspot might not be done either, and soon it's heading into the danger zone where CMEs curve back toward earth even as the sunspot moves to the backside of the sun. It's now the most active sunspot of the solar cycle so far (AR3663).

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget about AR3663, AR3664 is now worse. It's larger than the Carrington Event sunspot and has been shooting out X1 flares nonstop. These flares have been longer duration so have yielded decent cmes. Three are heading toward earth this weekend. They are expecting a class 3 geomagnetic storm. Plus the sunspot just shot out another X2 solar flare.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
They upgraded it to a class 4 geomagnetic storm. Looks big enough to possibly cause some power outages. Will definitely be a good light show with auroras. It's the first time since 2005 they've predicted a class 4 storm.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had an X 3.9 flare overnight to make six cmes heading our way. The class 4 geomagnetic storm has already begun.

1715392430095.jpeg

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had an X 5.4 solar flare from this sunspot now. We've reached the level of a G5 solar storm (KP level 9), the highest level. Expect potential for power outages in some locations to occur. We were hit by maybe 8 cmes from X class flares in rapid succession and the sunspot seems to be putting out stronger ones now.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Yes about an hour ago CNN announced that it was now a G5 solar storm. So I went out and topped off the gas tank in my car. I unplugged the largest TV in our house, and tell my daughter to shut down her computer and unplug it. The one with two monitors.

Beyond that I don't know what to do. I have enough batteries for lights, and a gas powered generator. A radio wrapped in a mylar bag. Will cell phones be safe? Should they also be in a mylar bag? Would that help/prevent damage?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes about an hour ago CNN announced that it was now a G5 solar storm. So I went out and topped off the gas tank in my car. I unplugged the largest TV in our house, and tell my daughter to shut down her computer and unplug it. The one with two monitors.

Beyond that I don't know what to do. I have enough batteries for lights, and a gas powered generator. A radio wrapped in a mylar bag. Will cell phones be safe? Should they also be in a mylar bag? Would that help/prevent damage?
Microwave makes a decent faraday cage. Put one in and call it with another to test it. If you hear it ringing inside the microwave, try something else. If it doesn't ring, it works. While you're at it, make some popcorn for the big show. Might want to do that first before putting the cell phone in the microwave. Unplug the microwave when using it as a faraday cage. Never know when someone will warm up your phone.

Edit: Then again, you might not want to run your microwave at all during a large geomagnetic storm. Your call.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I haven't seen any stories of outages caused by the storm yet. In ways we are both better off and worse off if there should be another Carrington event. On the positive side, we have much better surge protection, automatic monitoring and circuit breakers for the power grid now. On the other hand, the world now runs on static-sensitive CMOS chips that are more likely to get fried than an electromechanical relay would be, so it's good to take precautions.

Fortunately my telegraph system is still working fine. Now all you whippersnappers get off my lawn. ;).

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solar storm has caused degraded service in Starlink satellite services. So far, I haven't heard of other problems yet.

The X 5.8 solar flare did have an earth directed component. It should arrive by Monday. Solar storm isn't over yet.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could be wrong, but looking at the video of just after the X 5.8 flare, it seems there might be another dangerous sunspot coming around the corner at the 8 or 9 O' Clock position of the sun when sunspot AR3664 heads to the backside.

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
We had enough torches to kit out my family and friends - we went up a local "mountain" (a high hill, really) where there are nearly 360º views, and watched from there.
What an incredibly breathtaking display!!! The photos have nothing on the experience.

The kids loved it, and I for one was awestruck. God makes beautiful things.

2024-05-11 Aurora Resized 01 1.jpg
2024-05-11 Aurora Resized 02 1.jpg
2024-05-11 Aurora Resized 03 1.jpg
2024-05-11 Aurora Resized 04 1.jpg

Latest posts