XeVision ULTRA 80-85W Super head mod - SIGN UP NOW

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: XeVision Superpower "Ultra" 80 or 85 Watt (TBD)

Here you can find an old comparison which includes both the Osram D1 and the DL50 Fatboy bulb at 50W (and also the Fatboy at 75W & 80W).

Also, the performance of the Lemax/XeVision lX70 is actually better compared to the older lights including the barn burner. It does around 1.3Mcd when optimally focussed (they had this measured) which is around 30-50% more compared to the XeVision 75W and BarnBurner. One reason for this is the precision reflector which allows them to put the tiny tip of one of the electrodes into the focus. The arc has a much higher surface brightness on the tip. The reflectors of the older lights weren't precise enough for this.

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice research for the link Driver! Not owning the photographic equipment I'd need to record such a comparison, you'll just have to take my word for what I see (hopefully tonight) in how these two perform.

Karl

toolboy

Newly Enlightened

Nice research for the link Driver! Not owning the photographic equipment I'd need to record such a comparison, you'll just have to take my word for what I see (hopefully tonight) in how these two perform.

Karl

Thanks I look forward to your comparison.
I wonder if the dl50 fatboy's arc is the exact same position in the reflector of the lx70 as the current dl50-740 bulb. If it is a couple mm farther away from the body it might produce a tighter center focus than the current pattern.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Barnburner with the DL50 Fatboy bulb should produce a bigger hotspot compared to the LX70. It should also, obviously, produce a bit more lumens. This difference should become much more noticebale when both lights have been used a lot (the Fatboy has better lumen maintaince).

I was able to try out the LX70 Superpower (with Osram D1 bulb) last weekend. We compared it to many powerful lights with all kinds of light sources. This sample was definitely not optimally focussed, it was probably producing less than 4.5Mcd. As expected there is nothing compareable except for 70W+ HID mods. It kills the LED lights and the Maxabeam just doesn't have the lumens. It puts much more light downrange compared to most other lights.

sven_m also posted some beamshots, see here (in German).

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder if the dl50 fatboy's arc is the exact same position in the reflector of the lx70 as the current dl50-740 bulb. If it is a couple mm farther away from the body it might produce a tighter center focus than the current pattern.

I/we may need Dan (XeVision) to step in here...

The only Philips DL50 Fatboy lamp I have sits in a BarnBurner. I believe the LEMAX 70s (built in Europe) may not uniformly have the DL50-740 lamps, rather 35 watt lamps driven harder to get the same performance. I believe the LE70s built by XeRay all have the DL50-740 lamps as well as do the "upgrades" which were converted by XeVision. As an aside, while I run it infrequently, the BarnBurner had/has a focusing ring on the reflector housing while ,as you know already, the LX70 does not. The BarnBurner reflector therefore, can be moved, "adjusted" (?) in and out of the relationship to the base of the lamp.

Now, did I "gum" that one up but good?

Karl

PS There are some severe rain and wind warnings in my area of Pennsylvania so tonight may not be the night for the comparison. I'll try however.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Barnburner with the DL50 Fatboy bulb should produce a bigger hotspot compared to the LX70. It should also, obviously, produce a bit more lumens. This difference should become much more noticebale when both lights have been used a lot (the Fatboy has better lumen maintaince).

I was able to try out the LX70 Superpower (with Osram D1 bulb) last weekend. We compared it to many powerful lights with all kinds of light sources. This sample was definitely not optimally focussed, it was probably producing less than 4.5Mcd. As expected there is nothing compareable except for 70W+ HID mods. It kills the LED lights and the Maxabeam just doesn't have the lumens. It puts much more light downrange compared to most other lights.

sven_m also posted some beamshots, see here (in German).

Yet another series of great shots Driver, thanks!

I don't think toolboy has the SP version so I was going to compare the LX70 (European version) with my BarnBurner. I would agree the BB produces a much broader spot than the LX70 though. As well, as you have noted before, the MaxaBeam is an entirely different light with the main attribute being the long cast spot.

Karl

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unless its one of ours with XeVision written on the Bezel in a few places, it has a 35 watt Osram D1S (modified) bulb, not our DL50/740 or our igniter/bulb socket. Only we use this Philips bulb, not Lemax.
Or if its one of only a couple 70's we have upgraded. It would also have our (USA English) XeVision manual. we have upgraded only 1 Superpower so far.

toolboy

Newly Enlightened

Mine is a Xevision LX70 with Xevision on the bezel with the U.S. Manual #XVXL7009150017, Bezel SN:V12-0101

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

You have the DL50/740 and XeVision igniter/bulb, the USA built model.

Karl

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mine is a Xevision LX70 with Xevision on the bezel with the U.S. Manual #XVXL7009150017, Bezel SN:V12-0101

Yes Karl is right, I looked it up, you are right.
It is one of ours, with our exclusive ballast, Igniter and DL50/740 bulb.

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry Dan, jumped on the post. My
Mistake..:(:(

Karl

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm still dreaming of the LX50 with the 80W ultra upgrade and the fatboy bulb :rock: I wouldn't buy it, but maybe down the road...

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm still dreaming of the LX50 with the 80W ultra upgrade and the fatboy bulb :rock: I wouldn't buy it, but maybe down the road...

I'm not so sure that was one of the possibilities "offered" by Dan,Driver. I'll have to check once I get to my computer later but I believe the "Ultra" was targeting the SP and possibly (?), the 70 series. Check some of the previous posts, I could be mistaken...

Karl

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not so sure that was one of the possibilities "offered" by Dan,Driver. I'll have to check once I get to my computer later but I believe the "Ultra" was targeting the SP and possibly (?), the 70 series. Check some of the previous posts, I could be mistaken...

Karl

Yes, it's not an option. I still want it though! ;)

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

I haven't posted anything about the BarnBurner-LX70 comparison due to bad, Bad, BAD weather conditions in my neck of the woods. So far (and hopefully the last of it!) the weather patterns have included a tornado and high damaging winds including heavy rains and thunderstorms. I'm not a "Chicken Little" however I don't want to be measuring latent body voltage following a lightening strike!! Talk about an illuminating experience!! :devil: I will get to this when the rain turns to clouds and then, may even screw the SP head back on for yet another subjective test! :faint:

In the meantime, I understand another CPF member (who shall remaIn nameless for the moment) is in the process of eventually amassing two of these amazing lights----in addition to his (or is it her...?) SP70, an LX70!!!! Just who might this individual be you might ask? Will this person be able to provide us yet ANOTHER side-by-side comparison??!! "Only the Shadow knows"...:tinfoil:

Stay tuned for the next chapter......

Karl

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not so sure that was one of the possibilities "offered" by Dan,Driver. I'll have to check once I get to my computer later but I believe the "Ultra" was targeting the SP and possibly (?), the 70 series. Check some of the previous posts, I could be mistaken...Karl

Yes the 70 series would be upgradeable both the SP and Std. models. As for the 50, we would have to do some testing to see if the head can dissipate that much additional heat with an extended run. The fins have quite a bit less surface area than the Std. 70. Obviously the SP has an "overkill" of heatsink fin surface area.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast

will this still be two modes? and if so am i the only one wondering if the lower mode could be more in the 35-40w range?