XM-L2 VS MCE VS P7 VS XPG for 26650 host

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
Hi all,

Time to purchase another p60 drop in for a Cooly 26650 host.

This will be for a vehicle work light, camping, changing tires, etc. I want something in neutral that is going to be floody and last a few hours for an emergency.

I have an older P7 and love it....makes me wonder if I should try a neutral MCE over a new fangled XML2 neutral. I am open to suggestions.

What say you fellow CPFers?

Other 26650 hosts
Last P60 was a Nailbender 2.8-6V XML2 S6 3k tint 90CRI 3 level in Fivemega's Cooly

Cooly 26650 host utilizing Mac's XPG TRI LED (nice and floody)

archimedes

Flashaholic
My favorite of those is the MC-E ... especially paired with a Ledil reflector :thumbsup:

However, if you were planning to drive it at high current (doubtful for this purpose, since you want long runtime), I might have suggested the XM-L2 instead.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I would have thought the MC-E would produce fewer lumens for the same power than the XM-L2?

I also would have thought the XM-L2 would be floodier?

DMitchell

Banned
I would have thought the MC-E would produce fewer lumens for the same power than the XM-L2?

I also would have thought the XM-L2 would be floodier?

First question, yes. Second question, no.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I didn't think that the OP was specifically asking "which emitter" for maximum output, or maximum flood for that matter :thinking:

I interpreted the request as an overall "best for this purpose" type of question :shrug:

Data sheets will provide lumens/watt specs, and a "mule" will be floodier than any reflectored LED ;)

texas cop

Enlightened
I love the MC-E very nice flood, XP-G for throw and the XM-L for a bit of both. So for efficiency, output and run time its got to be the XM-L2 with a nice 4000k tint for myself. I've gotten hooked on two mode 100%/15% 3-amp dropins. Should give you 80 minutes on high and 9 hours on low off of a good 26650. Intl-outdoor just started carrying them in 2-5 mode set ups. Of course Nailbender and Vinhnguyen54 do a nice job. If still a bit nostalgic Solarforce still carries the MC-E, P7, and the SST-50.

DMitchell

Banned
I didn't think that the OP was specifically asking "which emitter" for maximum output, or maximum flood for that matter :thinking:

I interpreted the request as an overall "best for this purpose" type of question :shrug:

Data sheets will provide lumens/watt specs, and a "mule" will be floodier than any reflectored LED ;)

The answer to question #1 is still yes. The answer to question #2 is no all conditions being equal.

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened

You hit the nail on the head.

Just looking for a good all around performer runtime with good flood, and some throw. Figure the XM-L2 neutral is the way to go.

I don't need to impress anybody with this light other than me. :)

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
I love the MC-E very nice flood, XP-G for throw and the XM-L for a bit of both. So for efficiency, output and run time its got to be the XM-L2 with a nice 4000k tint for myself. I've gotten hooked on two mode 100%/15% 3-amp dropins. Should give you 80 minutes on high and 9 hours on low off of a good 26650. Intl-outdoor just started carrying them in 2-5 mode set ups. Of course Nailbender and Vinhnguyen54 do a nice job. If still a bit nostalgic Solarforce still carries the MC-E, P7, and the SST-50.

How does Intl-outdoor compare to Nailbender in terms of quality? The price is excellent. :thumbsup:

As far as P60 vendors go who else should I look at besides Nailbender, Malkoff, Mac(want to get it before 2014), Vinhnguyen54?

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a few with full copper slugs but the names slipped my mind. Not cheap, as they are mostly used for quad mules from what I have seen. In the custom for sale section. Overready and EDC+ make some as well.

texas cop

Enlightened
I've made quite a few lights for fellow deputies, cops and firefighters with intl-outdoor being used in about half of them. Never had to fix one yet. I use their discontinued XM-L U2 with brass disc over the LED then it was the ALXM with the XM-L U3 also just discontinued. Now they carry the ALXM2. They've only carried 1 type of dropin at a time but they keep getting better. Just ordered 4 of this new 3rd generation. Single mode SolarForces have a good track record but multi-mode models aren't as long lasting. I can't really speak for the rest never bought enough to give a valid opinion.