ZebraLight H50 - impressions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grubbster

Enlightened
I am looking forward to getting this soon as I am going camping next weekend to Mammoth Cave. Unfortunately they do not like you to use lights on the cave tours they give. I should be able to give it a test while camping though. I hope it arrives by then.

gunga

Flashaholic
The people who have already got them are impressed, too.

As I wrote several times, a flood beam is very good for climbing and walking in the dark. That is (one of the reasons) why carbide lights were so popular for such a long time for cavers. Of course, there are cases were you have to look for a trail in the distance.

Very unlikely that it spins, as there is almost no momentum. It's center of gravity is very, very close to the pivot point.

All I know is that I was scrambling up and down rock faces at 2-5 AM and I found I wished for a bit of a less diffuse beam. I would gladly give up a bit of the flood for a more concentrated beam.

The flood is pretty wild, it practically fills your field of view so everything is lit, even in your peripheral vision.

I took a bit of a tumble off a rock ridge and found I was falling into darkness. That was one of the moments where I wanted less flood.

Yes, I know the light will never spin due to momentum. I just prefer the tube to be a little snugger in the bracket.

I'm actually stating my preferences and impressions, not all unbendable facts, just my preferences and obrservations based on use and consulting with George.

BTW, one thing that impresses me about Zebralight in general: It fulfills it's promises.

No pre-buys, no "specs will change drastically when we deliver", no waiting forever.

All that I have stated is exactly as advertised by Zebra. What they state is what they delivered. I will certainly check out more of their stuff in the future...

:grin2:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am really looking forward to recieving mine.

Gunga :thumbsup: for very useful and balanced view of the lights capabilities.

Pointing out just when the light may not work for you in certain circumstances allows others to identify where it may work for them and vice versa.

Thanks many

Hodsta

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe they should've put some kind of projection lens on normally and then put a diffusor lens on the light hood so the user can choose the suitable beam pattern.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe they should've put some kind of projection lens on normally and then put a diffusor lens on the light hood
There are already so many headlights with a 'focused' beam on the market.

BTW, I had a phone call today with a person who already got his and he told me that he is impressed by the anti-glare device as he is wearing glasses.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I was hoping mine would be in the mail today, but not yet. I too have been looking for a headlamp without a focused beam/diffuser. The Zebralight looks perfect for that need.

Last edited:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was hoping mine would be in the mail today, but not yet. I too have been looking for a headlamp without a focused beam that requires a diffuser. The Zebralight looks perfect for that need.

I was also standing guard at my letterbox this morning, hoping that the postie would have something nice for me...no such luck...it will probably Monday now, really looking forward to this neat little light though, it will be my first headlamp. :twothumbs

CFU

Brum

Newly Enlightened
The P4 Zebra is in stock according to their website. I got receipt #6... :twothumbs

In about a week the Apex will be on Ebay. :thumbsup:

BlackDecker

Enlightened
The P4 Zebra is in stock according to their website. I got receipt #6... :twothumbs

lol... my Rayovac Sportsman Extreme will most likely end up in my Toyota's glove compartment very soon after I receive the Zebralight. :)

Good to hear their website is up and taking orders. I bet the orders will begin rolling in once us early-adopters write in about our experiences with this headlamp.

mx125

Newly Enlightened

I just placed my order and got order num 6 as well. Hmm.

Do we know how soon the "in stock" items ship?

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
This thread is about impressions of the Zebralight, i.e., posts from people who have received their lights and have a basis for offering information on how they work.

So far only one person has handled and posted about the light.

Could we please keep the posts ON TOPIC? Thanks

mx125

Newly Enlightened
This thread is about impressions of the Zebralight, i.e., posts from people who have received their lights and have a basis for offering information on how they work.

So far only one person has handled and posted about the light.

Could we please keep the posts ON TOPIC? Thanks

For a brand new untested company and product such as ZL, I think all impressions and experiences of Zebralight are relevent . .at least until there is a base level of tangibility. As you said, only one person reports having handled the light. If that's true, other potential buyers are hanging on the words of others who took the plunge and will report that they actually exist and ship.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know which way the lights were sent..?
Hopefully not Ground shipping :candle:

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Mine arrived today! Can't wait for tonight.
Playing with it I notice that the tailcap twists easily and light progresses from dim to medium then high. Switching to high, mine exhibits the flash that we've seen on some fenix lights. No biggie, but at first startling.

Construction seems very good, but I had some initial concern about the design of the clip and shield. the shield protects both left and right sides but not top, so the light hanging from a shirt pocket for instance may catch you in the eyes. The clip will hold well on something thick like a baseball cap brim, but is not tight enough for a meaningful hold on thin material - shirt pocket again. Pants pocket provides a bit more thickness and decent hold. The shield fits snugly under the clip wires but the two in combination limit the angle at which the light can be turned within the clip sleeve. This concerned me as I was thinking of using the zebra with clip - sans headband - as a headlamp on a cap brim. What I've found is by clipping the light UNDER the brim, I can twist the zebra forward just enough that the shield keeps the light out of my eyes. So again, no biggie.

On the whole and until tonight, me like it.

Fire Good

Status
Not open for further replies.