Zebralight H50 Q5 Headlamp Review!!!

afahmic

Newly Enlightened
Constant current regualted.

Thanks George. That's cool..! Then this is the most ideal task light i ever know up until now.

And what makes me really like it is, it's unique side windowing, all flood beam and exponentially lumens intensity level adjustment (2 for low, 10 for med and 50 for high, 2 x 5 = 10, 10 x 5 = 50) that is rarely found on many lights out there.

As i prefer to make this light as the EDC on my keychain instead as the headlamp, the only concern for me is there's absolutely no hole to attach the keyring or lanyard to the light body (other than through the silicon bracket that is too big to carry as EDC and also not so secure).

Is that possible to add a kind of hole on bottom but without sacrificing it's stand capability, for the next batch manufacturing? I think, technically it's not so difficult and obviously it's a big plus-plus for this baby. Besides the headlamp market, you'll get the EDC market as well for sure.

Last edited:

mchlwise

Enlightened
Is that possible to add a kind of hole on bottom but without sacrificing it's stand capability, for the next batch manufacturing? I think, technically it's not so difficult and obviously it's a big plus-plus for this baby. Besides the headlamp market, you'll get the EDC market as well for sure.

The lack of such a hole is probably the biggest reason why I haven't bought one yet.

Steve-11

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I ordered one today. I soooooooo could have used one at work the other day. Close up work in dim/dark environments, trying to use one hand with a flashlight the other with a tool, or flashlight in mouth 'trick'. It occured to me how valuable a decent headlamp would be.

It's kinda amazing to me at how many campers/spelunkers seem to go for this light, yet it seems to me that it would be perfect for me at work. Electricians, plumbers, maintenance workers, technicians, etc. all would seem to benefit. Here's hoping that it suits my needs well! :)

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. I ordered one today. I soooooooo could have used one at work the other day. Close up work in dim/dark environments, trying to use one hand with a flashlight the other with a tool, or flashlight in mouth 'trick'. It occured to me how valuable a decent headlamp would be.

It's kinda amazing to me at how many campers/spelunkers seem to go for this light, yet it seems to me that it would be perfect for me at work. Electricians, plumbers, maintenance workers, technicians, etc. all would seem to benefit. Here's hoping that it suits my needs well! :)

As great as Flashlights are Headlamps are much more useful if you need to work with your hands. If you want a light for close up work this is most likely the best ever! The beam is a perfect flood with no hotspot to speak of. The light is pretty bright on Medium and very bright on High. I'm going night hiking next weekend and I'll post back in this thread with my recap afterwards.
So far the Zebralight H50 is the best headlamp I've ever owned, and I can't wait for their H30 model!!! :naughty:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I finally got mine last week. I couldn't be more happy with this light. It exceeded my expectations in every area. The machining, threads, and finish are all of outstanding quality. It works really well on energizer lithiums.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine just arrived today. My initial impression is very good. It comes with a lot of accessories, which makes me happy. :) I'm going to try various batteries in it to see what works best. Thanks to everyone who has brought this product to our attention.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
To keep it from spinning free in the bracket try a layer or two of heat shrink tubing. they make it in clear if you don't want to change the color of the light.

-LT

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know I didn't even see this light until today and I just had to order it, thanks for the good pic's to persuade me to buy.

No problem, I'm glad they were helpful. I forgot all about this review. I can update the first post with overall output readings from my lux meter, which can give a rough idea as to how many lumens the light is putting out on all settings.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
adirondackdestroyer Nice Review, it's a good light. After 4 months of usage, do you find any other issues apart from the headlamp attachment shifting

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
adirondackdestroyer Nice Review, it's a good light. After 4 months of usage, do you find any other issues apart from the headlamp attachment shifting

Honestly I haven't used it all that much yet. I plan on using it during my night hikes in a few months, so I could report back then with much more information.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently had a chance to use it at a 2 day(night) trek at a remote location. No power outlets nearby so carrying spare rechargeable battery was out of question. I carried 4 spare Alkaline Duracell's. With it's smallllllll size and using standard Alkaline AA battery... the light was almost invisible in pocket. We used this as a supportive area light (apart from other lights). It was always on through the night on Low acting as a night light about 14-15 hours total. There was occasional High and Medium power usage about 20 minutes and 1-2 hours respectively. Didn't need to change battery even once.

Now I think, even two enloops would have been sufficient. Just posted review after about a month and half of using Zebralight H50. My Light readings actually match with your readings (total light output). The best part of this light is its small, provides a great flood light and has 3 well chosen light levels.

Mev @ light-reviews.com also has posted review recently here.

Last edited:

meckie

Newly Enlightened
:rolleyes: now you guys made me buy another flashlight ... :cool:

just one question remains to me: on the zebralight.com website there are two versions available: p4 for 39 bucks and q5 for 49. ist the q5 version worth the extra 10? the specifications dont differ that much, only the high setting will probably be a bit brighter. how much is the difference? has anyone had a possibility to compare? especially the difference regarding impression on brightness in highmode and runtime ...

here are the specs from their website:

p4:
Low 2.6 lm for 3.5 days
Medium 13 lm for 19 hr
High 66 lm for 2 hr 20 min

q5:
Low 2.0 lm for 3.5 days
Medium 10 lm for 19 hr
High 50 lm for 2 hr 20 min

---
edit:
i found a comparison over there:
http://ledmania.ceskyblog.cz/recenze/celovky-zebralight-h50-p4-q5/
...but im sorry to say that i dont understand a single word. Could somebody translate the essence of the comparison? Maybe someone from Czechoslovakia reads this? or can someone else provide this information regarding the comparison and runtimes? ***thx alot!

Last edited:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think, you have reversed the correct specifications

Zebralight H50 Q5:
Low 2.6 lm for 3.5 days
Medium 13 lm for 19 hr
High 66 lm for 2 hr 20 min

Zebralight H50 P4:
Low 2.0 lm for 3.5 days
Medium 10 lm for 19 hr
High 50 lm for 2 hr 20 min

To eyes difference between 50 Lm and 66 Lumens wont be much, but then you have to consider that Q5 LED inherently has a higher efficiency. Using higher efficiency LED itself is satisfying in mind. The Q5 version will appear slightly brighter side by side. it's additional 16 lumens! ;) I would go with Q5 version... it wont get outdated in a while.

meckie

Newly Enlightened
:drool: - that must´ve happened copy&pasting...:thinking:
of course the Q5 is 16 lm brighter in high.

so you guys vote for the Q5-Version? no one thinks i should be getting the 10$ cheaper P4?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Meckie,

Welcome to CPF.

I would suggest, :devil: in true CPF fashion :devil: , that you get one of each. The one that satisfies you the most you should keep and use. The other one can be stashed in your car, or given to your wife, or a close friend, or you can sell it on the CPF Market Place.

Tom