ZebraLight H502 XM-L

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ZebraLight H502 X-ML

Hope the 502 reverts back to 501's small form factor and light weight. 501 is an ideal light for running, not so much for the H51. Really the 501 is as big as I would want to go for use running. Improvement could be made to the head band as well to minimise bounce. The straps should connect to a stiffer material that is then backed by a soft foam to conform to the head. This would distribute the force from the head band over a larger contact area.

Photonrunner, try using your H51 in a "Nite Ize" headband. Stiff & comfortable. Does not bounce around because the headband isn't elastic (nylon material.) Much more comfortable than anything else I've ever gone running with, and with the H51 rigged on it, it offers plenty of light. I've tried running with my H501w and it is just not bright enough for trail running.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wait a second.

I got so caught up in the excitement of the new H502 I forgot to ask about TINT. Tint's important.

Do we have any idea if it's blue, pink, yellow, green, purple, or what?

JA(me)S

Enlightened

ZebraLight is currently waiting for the correct neutral tint XM-L for the SC600. By the time the H502 is released, ZebraLight should have access to this preferred neutral tint. Most likely the H502 will be released in both white and neutral simultaneously.

- Jas.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

My only full flood is the Ultrafire UF-H3 (and H2, but the parasitic drain is terrible in the H2), but having just bought the H51 and SC51 I can see how good the zebralight torches are.

I will have to buy the H502 when this comes out as I want a good quality full flood headlamp (so therefore a zebralight) and the added output from one AA and efficiency the XM-L should give will make this a winner with me. Can't wait, and I suspect there will be a wait for these with them being snapped up as soon as they are available.

ryguy24000

Enlightened

Gonna have to get on of these lights when it is released. Really digging the flood style lamps for work. I am becoming a flood hound i think. Currently using a Spark st5 with Scotch tape over the lens, but I want more flood!!!

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

Wait a second.

I got so caught up in the excitement of the new H502 I forgot to ask about TINT. Tint's important.

Do we have any idea if it's blue, pink, yellow, green, purple, or what?

After the early H30-H50 production ZL seems to pay attention to this issue unlike some others. So guessing they will avoid sickly squid **** green etc even on the cool white lights. I like my H501w but honestly the tint on the cool white H501 is vanilla white so also looks great. If they can do the same with the H502 it would be a toss up for me with a bias for the neutral.

tedh

Newly Enlightened

I'm pretty happy with my 501, and it is plenty bright for what I do. In an attempt to dig for an excuse to upgrade, can someone tell me how much more efficient the new X-ML emitter is than the one used in the 501?

Ted

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd be down for a regular H502 cool white. Wondering what the runtime on that .1 lumen low will be though. XM-Ls are supposedly not that efficient at low drive levels.

tygger

Enlightened

I was wondering the same thing. But on lower drive levels the XM-L should at least equal the efficiency of an XP-G, no?

JA(me)S

Enlightened

ZebraLight is a genius at designing a light engine for a specific emitter and specific battery. I wouldn't put it past him for coming up with something special. Look what he did with the SC600 (XM-L, 18650): 750 Lm turbo w/5 minute step-down to 500 Lm for 2 hours all the way down to .1 Lm for 80 days - amazing. The Q50 (XM-L) will have even better performance on 4xAA (eneloop XX). I bet we'll be pleasantly surprised with the H502; it is after all, building on the legacy (3rd on the must have list) of the H501... something ZebraLight is not likely to take lightly...

- Jas.

Photonrunner

Newly Enlightened

ZebraLight is a genius at designing a light engine for a specific emitter and specific battery. I wouldn't put it past him for coming up with something special. Look what he did with the SC600 (XM-L, 18650): 750 Lm turbo w/5 minute step-down to 500 Lm for 2 hours all the way down to .1 Lm for 80 days - amazing. The Q50 (XM-L) will have even better performance on 4xAA (eneloop XX). I bet we'll be pleasantly surprised with the H502; it is after all, building on the legacy (3rd on the must have list) of the H501... something ZebraLight is not likely to take lightly...

- Jas.

I just hope Zebralight doesn't compromise on one of the BIG elements that make the 501 such a great headlamp (Small size and weight). The 501 is right at the limit of an acceptable size for use as a light for night jogging. Any bigger and it becomes too annoying to run with.

JA(me)S

Enlightened

The XM-L will require a slightly bigger body:

• H501: 2.75" x .75"
  • H502: 2.9" x .9"
- Jas.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

Luckily the increase in size does not affect me, and I won't be running with it. I'm as excited about this one as I was about the SC600, this has real potential. I think it is part of current ZebraLight design to keep all lights as small as possible, but I do still like the extremely small size of my early Zebralights and I'm happy to EDC the SC60w for the output and runtime.