ZebraLight H502 XM-L

tychoseven

Newly Enlightened
Do want! But I'm going to wait for the w version. I love that the moonlight low is now programmable.

Let's see, we have the H600, SC600, and upcoming Q50, H502, T3/T5, and S6330.

Zebralight is killing it. I'm saving my pennies because I want everything in the pipeline.

Last edited:

Smells_Familiar

Newly Enlightened
The H502 plus my Fenix HP-10 sound like a fantastic combo for caving!

It's amazing how fast lights are becoming more efficient these days.

Photonrunner

Newly Enlightened
I agree with you skyfire. Love my H501w, but I think I would rather have a wider beam than occasionally having to rotate the light up or down because of the 80 degree beam. Not a big deal, but think the 120 degree beam would be more useful to me.

You may be right, but even though it's not made for throw I think that due to the increase in output of this light that it will throw slightly better than the H501 (through brute force....96 lumens vs 260 lumens.) Just seems logical that it would reach out a little further even with the wider beam angle. I've seen this with some other lights that were brighter & floodier than their predecessors (Quark AA2 with the R5 LED vs. the Quark X AA2 with the XML LED.)

These are just educated guesses for now, and we will all know for sure once they start shipping.

I just did the math and realised I am wrong. Did the calculations for an 80 degree even beam and a 120 beam.
The 502 will be brighter despite the wider angle. It would be roughly the equivalent of an 180 lumen 80 degree with extra spill. To get the same 80 lumen brightness of the 501 you would set the 502 to 111 lumens (100 is close enough) and you get 3.3 hour's so it would be a longer runtime with the same brightness as the 501.

I retract my previous concern, as it should be both brighter and have a longer run time at the 501 max brightness. This should be an improvement in most areas, but may see less run time at comparable beam intensities for the lower lumen settings. I may end out trying one of these out for running, should be interesting.

srfreddy

Enlightened
It's been a long time since I've posted, but I've always kept an eye on the Zebralight Product Sheet, and the very close release date of the H502 prompted me to come back to CPF for a quick read of this thread. lovecpf About the light density of the H502 vs H501, the 120 degree beam will have 4.26 times less light density at all distances >at the emitter. The H502 is only 2.7 times brighter than the H501, so the light density of the H502's beam will only be 64% of the H501's. However, the H502's light circle will be 4.26 times larger than the H501's. :thumbsup: I'm pretty sure I did my math here right, but could be wrong. There is also the difference in the optics type to consider as well, though.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Bolster

I never had a bare incan bulb on my head so can't say if it makes the world look flat. Flat is the only term I can come up with but doesn't express it 100%. I have other lights with less than ideal tints but don't get the same feel as I do with the H50's 120 flood. Granted my H501w with XR-E 5A is well known in the tint world as something that just rocks, hence the reason for more signature about the TK20. Even the cooler white H501 is a nice vanilla white rather than the greenish (on lower modes) H50. After some time my brain would forget about the less than desirable tint but the little bit-o-funky world feel with the 120 flood was always in the background.

Maybe the 80 degree optic of the H501 would project light farther or maybe it allows me to focus on an object better or maybe it is the tint after all but the feeling is still real just the same. Now this isn't to say the H50 is a bad light or the H502 having the same 120 is. Preference isn't the same thing as a show stopper. I actually liked the twisty and UI of the H50 over the H501 but not by much.

Could also be that I wanted a light just like the H501/H501w but updated, kind of like I wanted an EX11 or D10 but just with an updated LED etc. By the time that company worked out many people wanted the same it was too late but this is a story for another time. I guess the bigger head was needed and must speculate the 80 flood optic of the H501 was just beyond the XM-L or ZL's ability to do so. There must have been some reason why ZL made the H501 with a 80 not 120 but maybe not? What do I know. LOL! Well if the reviews are good guessing none of the above will matter because I want one in a "w" tint.

ryguy24000

Enlightened
the release of this light must be the most anticipated, maybe, ever? I am going to hold out for the neutral tint version. This light may replace my SD52 as my primary work light? The run times are in direct competition with the SD, but with only one battery. How can they do that? Amazing.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been a long time since I've posted, but I've always kept an eye on the Zebralight Product Sheet, and the very close release date of the H502 prompted me to come back to CPF for a quick read of this thread
I'm the same, well in that every time I hear a Zebralight is about to ship I head back to CPF.
So that's a HL51c, SC80 and possible H502w on my shopping list.

js82

Newly Enlightened
i have always felt that way too, the neutral tints of past XR-E and XP-E, to my eyes was more pleasant with more magenta. while the XP-G and XM-L neutrals i would see hints of green. lucky for me i love the hCRI XP-G though.
i cant remember for certain, but i think the reason why i sold my H51w, was because i felt the tint was too cool. :shrug:

I've been looking for XM-Ls with 3D or 4A tints. Those tints should have more magenta like you described. I haven't found any yet though. All of them seem to be 3C, which is more green as you'll see on the tint curve.

Esko

Enlightened
About the light density of the H502 vs H501, the 120 degree beam will have 4.26 times less light density at all distances >at the emitter. The H502 is only 2.7 times brighter than the H501, so the light density of the H502's beam will only be 64% of the H501's. However, the H502's light circle will be 4.26 times larger than the H501's. :thumbsup: I'm pretty sure I did my math here right, but could be wrong. There is also the difference in the optics type to consider as well, though.

H502 doesn't have any collimator. I believe you didn't remember that the light intensity (spatial distribution) is not constant to every direction. It is highest straigth forward, and drops to ~50% at 60 degrees (120 degree beam). There might also be some extra losses in the periphery due to reflections from the glass.

There is no collimator. If they chose to use 80 degree beam, it would have just meant a tighter collar and the light from the extra spill would be lost. It could be collected with a collimator, but then the light wouldn't quite be a pure flood light any more, and the body would be longer, too (maybe as long as H51). With current design, I believe there is no space for a quality reflector or lens.

For the ones with glasses... I sometimes carry my H51Fc on my neck even though it does need some adjustment every now and then. The wider angle Spark SD6 doesn't need. Being a floodlight with even wider beam, I believe this would be even better for the purpose.

Do want! But I'm going to wait for the w version. I love that the moonlight low is now programmable.

I would love to have an ability to choose 2 moonlight modes. The difference between 0,01 lumen and 0,34 lumen is huge, it is bigger that the difference between M2 and H1 (12 lumen and 260 lumen). I would probably choose 0,06 lumen because with 0,01 there is just a too big gap to the next level (L1 = 2,7 lumen). On the other hand, there is nothing better in the market now (and the runtimes are incredible), so... Let's see when they bring the w (and hopefully c) model to the market. :)

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
XR-E 5A is well known in the tint world as something that just rocks, hence the reason for more signature about the TK20.

I never noticed that in your signature. Did you do it after seeing mine or come to the same conclusion separately? It is very true though, (especially for walks in the woods!) I can't believe they discontinued it. We could get some sort of movement going and if we get enough CPF signatures saying the same thing they might consider bringing it back again ;)

Actually though, on a side note, I just got some Nichia 219 92 CRI 4500k LEDs from Craig at illumination-supply this morning and they are honestly the best tint I have ever seen, probably the first to knock the XR-E 5A tint off it's perch. Now if Fenix would remake the TK20 with a Nichia 219 4500k 92 CRI and a specially designed light OP reflector + square threads on the head to body connection I would happily buy 3 of them, and I never buy more than one of the same light..

Last edited:

curry__muncha

Newly Enlightened
For those who want a more narrow 80 degree spread could simply get the frosted lens version of the H51.

Im really hoping they make a RED led version of this light. It would be the ULTIMATE tail light for a bicycle :D

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im really hoping they make a RED led version of this light. It would be the ULTIMATE tail light for a bicycle :D

is there a red XML available? one in the pipeline?

I got the red H51r for exactly this purpose, and it *is* an awesome tail-light. Plus, the L-shape makes it very easy to attach to the vertical stays that connect my rack to the rear drop-outs.

tychoseven

Newly Enlightened
I would love to have an ability to choose 2 moonlight modes. The difference between 0,01 lumen and 0,34 lumen is huge, it is bigger that the difference between M2 and H1 (12 lumen and 260 lumen). I would probably choose 0,06 lumen because with 0,01 there is just a too big gap to the next level (L1 = 2,7 lumen)...

It would be great to choose both moonlight modes, but I'm happy we'll be able to choose at least one! I'll probably go with the 0.06lm mode as well...0.34lm is still bright if there's no other light.

On the other hand, there is nothing better in the market now (and the runtimes are incredible), so... Let's see when they bring the w (and hopefully c) model to the market. :)

I'd love an H502 with a Nichia 219 (4500K, 92CRI). After seeing beamshots of this emitter I want it in all my lights.

curry__muncha

Newly Enlightened
is there a red XML available? one in the pipeline?

I got the red H51r for exactly this purpose, and it *is* an awesome tail-light. Plus, the L-shape makes it very easy to attach to the vertical stays that connect my rack to the rear drop-outs.

There is no red XML LED by Cree to my knowledge. If they were to make a red LED one, i assume they would use the same LED as the one in their other current red lights - the XPE (which is plenty sufficient for most people's red illumination purposes).

Was the H51Fr out when you bought your H51r? Wouldnt the frosted version make for a better tail light due to brighter side-beam spread without a significant centre hotspot?
This is one of the main reasons im waiting it out to get the H502r (which they hopefully do release) - largest angle of visibility without any hot-spot to shoot into other road users' eyes

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I never noticed that in your signature. Did you do it after seeing mine or come to the same conclusion separately? It is very true though, (especially for walks in the woods!) I can't believe they discontinued it. We could get some sort of movement going and if we get enough CPF signatures saying the same thing they might consider bringing it back again ;)

Actually though, on a side note, I just got some Nichia 219 92 CRI 4500k LEDs from Craig at illumination-supply this morning and they are honestly the best tint I have ever seen, probably the first to knock the XR-E 5A tint off it's perch. Now if Fenix would remake the TK20 with a Nichia 219 4500k 92 CRI and a specially designed light OP reflector + square threads on the head to body connection I would happily buy 3 of them, and I never buy more than one of the same light..

I seen your sig and just knew more were needed. LOL! I think the XP-E 5A in my Quark AA is also very nice but gotta say hiking with those XR-E 5As in the TK20 and H501w works well for me. I am going to hold off for the w H502 as this will give time for people to sniff out any bugs and won't get on the wrong side of any early V2 models as we seen in he past. Or maybe I will break down and get a standard one if there isn't any of that squid **** green going on. Then again for some reason I am not jumping for joy as was expected. Not sure why however? Still I want it but now thinking about an XM-L reflector version with he same stats. Could be like the TK20 the H501w still rocks.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
...If they were to make a red LED one, i assume they would use the same LED as the one in their other current red lights - the XPE...
This is one of the main reasons im waiting it out to get the H502r (which they hopefully do release) - largest angle of visibility without any hot-spot to shoot into other road users' eyes

Ahh...I see. I sort of think of the "502" designation as meaning an XML emitter, but I suppose one could think of it as the body configuration and the circuitry, regardless of the emitter. Yeah, that would be a pretty incredible package--very efficient, wide-angle red light. I'd buy it!

I bought the non-frosted H51r because I wanted the option of throw for other purposes, and I figured I can always put diffusers on. Sure enough, the glass diffuser disk from the 4Sevens prism kit makes a good diffuser when I want one.

But I also don't mind having throw on the rear of the bike. I ride on a lot of country roads, and I want cars to see me a long distance back. And it is mounted low, near the chain-stay, so when they get up closer it should not be right in their eyes.

In addition, I have a Quark RGB mounted at rack-level, for a much wider-angle hot-spot-free red light. Visibility is a life-saver!

Sometimes I joke that I have all those red photons pouring out the back in order to give myself a forward propulsion boost. They're not just safety lights, they're photon rockets! The trouble is that I have a TK 35 on the front handle-bars, pushing me backwards....

Esko

Enlightened
It would be great to choose both moonlight modes, but I'm happy we'll be able to choose at least one! I'll probably go with the 0.06lm mode as well...0.34lm is still bright if there's no other light.

Oh, I don't care about the programmability. I just wish the modes were a bit more equally spaced. The low and firefly modes could be spaced with tenfold increases (or perhaps a little more). With high modes the battery life becomes more important, so, the increases could be smaller. If I could choose those 6 modes freely, I would forget one of the medium modes and go with 0,01 - 0,34 - 2,7 - 25 - 100 and 260 lumen.

I wish someone offered a light with two firefly modes (and the threaded bezel that Bolster has been suggesting would be a good idea, too). But it is a very nice headlamp anyway. I will still be waiting to see if they announce a Nichia version.