ZebraLight H502 XM-L

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I normally wait for the reviews before buying a new one, but I couldn't resist and ordered the H502. I put a note to include the GITD holder as I prefer it over the plain black silicone holders.

brianb6603

Newly Enlightened
I have been watching ZL for months waiting for the H502. I would like to have a warm version but am not willing to wait. Ordered on friday. I did the same thing with my H51, could not buck up the patience to wait for the warm version. I carry it with me everywhere I go.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was the H51Fr out when you bought your H51r? Wouldnt the frosted version make for a better tail light due to brighter side-beam spread without a significant centre hotspot?
This is one of the main reasons im waiting it out to get the H502r (which they hopefully do release) - largest angle of visibility without any hot-spot to shoot into other road users' eyes
I would also recommend the H51Fr. Before that was out I used a H501r attached to my pack when I went cycling. I was excited to hear about the H51r when it was set to release, but disappointed when I received it. Not that it is a bad light as it isn't, it just wasn't the right light for what I inteded to use as a tail light.

I sold it off and bought up the H51Fr as soon as it came out. It's attached on my pack just below my H501r and puts out a lot more light. I'll see if I can find a picture in a bit. :)

Both on L2
IMG_4005.jpg

Both on max
IMG_4006.jpg

Wall shot, H501R on top, H51Fr on bottom

IMG_4007.jpg

That said, I still would pick up an H502r as well. :D

Last edited:

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I was excited to hear about the H51r when it was set to release, but disappointed when I received it....I sold it off and bought up the H51r as soon as it came out....

moshow--did you mean for both of those to say "H51r"?

Or for the first one (the disappointing one) did you mean to say "H501r", and then the H51r is the one you like?

Or was the first one the H51r clear-lens, and for the second one you meant to say "H51Fr" for the floody lens?

Thanks for pics!

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
moshow--did you mean for both of those to say "H51r"?

Or for the first one (the disappointing one) did you mean to say "H501r", and then the H51r is the one you like?

Or was the first one the H51r clear-lens, and for the second one you meant to say "H51Fr" for the floody lens?

Thanks for pics!
Thanks for that catch ;). I meant that I love the pure flood of the H501r, and diffused beam of the H51Fr. H51r is a great light, but just not for me.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doublecheck? You say the H501r is on top? To my eye the beam on the lower left looks like the H501r.
Yup, placement on the pack has the H501r on the top where the shoulder strap begins, attached to the pals webbing. Initially, I was going to use the H51Fr to completely replace the H501r but did not like the way the H51Fr attached in that same area. I left the H501r on top, completely cut off the bottom clasp (the front pocket is loose and will swing open if flipped upside down) and attached the H51Fr on the receiver (or female) end of the clasp with its holder and zip ties.

For the photo I held the bag with the upper handle (in the same orientation as it would be when I am riding).

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
So...the H51Fr has a wider and smoother flood beam than the H501r? Wow.

I own an H501r and I didn't think you could get a wider or more even beam from a 51F.

Last edited:

curry__muncha

Newly Enlightened
Moshow9, if you were to pick just one out of the H501r or H51Fr, which one would you prefer as a tail light?
PS. Thanks for the pics! :D

Bolster, the H501r has the more wider and smoother beam. It's because the H51Fr's beam from the reflector that on the wall shot it shows up as a larger circle compared to the H501r

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moshow9, if you were to pick just one out of the H501r or H51Fr, which one would you prefer as a tail light?

Me, I only own the H51r, so I can't make the judgment from personal experience.

But to go by the numbers on the website, the H501r has a High of only 33 lumens (for 2.4 hours) versus a high of 95 lumens for the H51Fr. Even if you drop the H51 down to H2 in order to get 2.4 hours out of it, it is still putting out 57 lumens to the H501's 33.

So 2.4 hours of 33 lumens vs. 2.4 hours of 57 lumens? I think I'd probably go with the H51.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
PS. Thanks for the pics! :D

Bolster, the H501r has the more wider and smoother beam. It's because the H51Fr's beam from the reflector that on the wall shot it shows up as a larger circle compared to the H501r
If I had to choose between only one it would be the H51Fr. For me, more output = higher visibility, and I prefer to be as visible as possible when it's dark out. :D

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, if the H51Fr is considerably brighter, then it would appear to have a fuller beam in the same photograph as a H501r, which is essentially "underexposed." Makes sense.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been watching ZL for months waiting for the H502. I would like to have a warm version but am not willing to wait. Ordered on friday. I did the same thing with my H51, could not buck up the patience to wait for the warm version. I carry it with me everywhere I go.

H502w is supposed to be released in June, according to ZL when I asked them yesterday.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neutral in June is great news!

But can I wait that long....

I have been thinking about getting a cool-white for the front of my bike--even if Neutrals are better for seeing, I think the cool-white is better for *being* seen; it's brighter, and also slightly more jarring and unnatural. Attention-getting, which is what you want when you are trying to avoid becoming bug-splat on a truck windshield.

So I could get the cool-white on May 28...get the Neutral in June...and get the Red XRE if they ever make it....

Huh-boy! There goes my budget!

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how far away the H302s are? I'd prefer one of those more than the H502 even. The H502 will tide me over until they do.

srfreddy

Enlightened
H502 doesn't have any collimator. I believe you didn't remember that the light intensity (spatial distribution) is not constant to every direction. It is highest straigth forward, and drops to ~50% at 60 degrees (120 degree beam). There might also be some extra losses in the periphery due to reflections from the glass.

There is no collimator. If they chose to use 80 degree beam, it would have just meant a tighter collar and the light from the extra spill would be lost. It could be collected with a collimator, but then the light wouldn't quite be a pure flood light any more, and the body would be longer, too (maybe as long as H51). With current design, I believe there is no space for a quality reflector or lens.
Yeah, I've been "out" for too long... :shakehead Knew that about the light distribution. However, the H502 has a lens, as do the H501 and H50.
"There will be an H502 (XM-L, <2.9"), slated for release in Q4 this year. The H50 has a negative meniscus lens. The H501 uses a positive meniscus lens. Both are made of polycarbonate. The H502 will use a plano-convex lens (optical grade glass, tempered, AR coated on both sides)."

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
H502w is supposed to be released in June, according to ZL when I asked them yesterday.

This is good news....and it's been confirmed. I checked their website, and the neutral version is now listed on Zebralight's "Compare All Models" page as being released this coming June.....nice.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
16 pages on a light that's not even out yet and a headlamp to boot, wow. Then again I can see why I think ZL makes the best light's in the world and despite the fact the beam angle isn't my favorite the 502 may still end up on my doorstep.

I say it's a headlamp but I feel I should almost add a disclaimer saying ZL headlamps can be used as a handheld if someone doesn't already know that.

Esko

Enlightened
However, the H502 has a lens, as do the H501 and H50.
"There will be an H502 (XM-L, <2.9"), slated for release in Q4 this year. The H50 has a negative meniscus lens. The H501 uses a positive meniscus lens. Both are made of polycarbonate. The H502 will use a plano-convex lens (optical grade glass, tempered, AR coated on both sides)."

You are right. The lens wasn't very obvious in the photo, so, I thought that a pure flood light has only a glass to protect the emitter.

I wrote to ZL customer service and got to know, that there will be a Rebel high cri version available later (no date specified). I also suggested that they could consider and check the Nichia 219 4500K high cri emitter, which is loved by many flashlight enthusiastics that are interested in color rendering. The CS person replied that they have tested it, but at least she didn't know about any plans to use it in the lights yet.

Last edited: