Zebralight S6330 and S6330b 2400 Lumen flashlights in the making. .

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
So they added a lanyard feature to the light - was this because of all of our complaining back on page 8 and 9 of this thread? Or did they plan on having a lanyard all along?

Zenbaas

Newly Enlightened
So they added a lanyard feature to the light - was this because of all of our complaining back on page 8 and 9 of this thread? Or did they plan on having a lanyard all along?

Where did you see this?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Bwolcott

Enlightened
TK75 looks mighty interesting. Would love to see the two compared side by side. If the TK75 had significantly more throw then I know which way I'm heading.

It will just look at the two lights its pretty obvious the fenix tk75 will throw way better, likewise its obvious zebralight wasnt going for throw

Zenbaas

Newly Enlightened
It will just look at the two lights its pretty obvious the fenix tk75 will throw way better, likewise its obvious zebralight wasnt going for throw

Hence the word significantly. How much I would classify as significant is of course a whole other story.

Bwolcott

Enlightened
Hence the word significantly. How much I would classify as significant is of course a whole other story.

well if the 6330 is floody like the tm11 then the tk75 should have about 4 times the lux, so pretty significant

biglights

Enlightened
well if the 6330 is floody like the tm11 then the tk75 should have about 4 times the lux, so pretty significant

Well said, I would think the 6330 would be lucky to get 25 to 30 lux. Cant wait for some actually specs.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the Zebralight web page: "Pre-order. Estimated Shipping date: December 20, 2012. The S6330 will come with Type III Class I (natural) anodizing."

So they changed the body color from black HAIII to natural HAIII - was this because of all of our complaining back on page 8 and 9 of this thread too? Or did they plan on having natural HAIII all along? LOL!

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the Zebralight web page: "Pre-order. Estimated Shipping date: December 20, 2012. The S6330 will come with Type III Class I (natural) anodizing."

So they changed the body color from black HAIII to natural HAIII - was this because of all of our complaining back on page 8 and 9 of this thread too? Or did they plan on having natural HAIII all along? LOL!

That's good news. You know, I admire zebralight. I've seen them make changes (pretty quick) after seeing our conversations on CPF threads which lead to some quick improvements to the SC51/H51/SC31/H31/SC600/H600 & others. I can't verify that these changes to the new S6330 (adding lanyard & changing the color) have come because of our chatter on this thread, but I bet that is what has happened. I think it's cool that they value our input, and believe that they are on to something. They are the experts at making lights, and we are the experts at using them. So, who better to turn to for input on what works & what doesn't.

g.p.

Enlightened

I emailed them and asked what color it was going to be, also mentioned that I didn't care for the black. They never replied, but maybe they got a bunch of those questions.

So is natural what the "normal" ZL color is? I assume it is, but you know how that goes!

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's good news. You know, I admire zebralight. I've seen them make changes (pretty quick) after seeing our conversations on CPF threads which lead to some quick improvements to the SC51/H51/SC31/H31/SC600/H600 & others. I can't verify that these changes to the new S6330 (adding lanyard & changing the color) have come because of our chatter on this thread, but I bet that is what has happened. I think it's cool that they value our input, and believe that they are on to something. They are the experts at making lights, and we are the experts at using them. So, who better to turn to for input on what works & what doesn't.
incredibly well stated :D

Primax

Newly Enlightened
Is there any news when the S6330b is available? Currently i have the Jetbeam 3M XML 450lumen mounted on my bicycle. Works great with a wide beam to illuminate the complete road.
Should the current S6330 be usable on a bicycle? Or should better wait for the flood version.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any news when the S6330b is available? Currently i have the Jetbeam 3M XML 450lumen mounted on my bicycle. Works great with a wide beam to illuminate the complete road.
Should the current S6330 be usable on a bicycle? Or should better wait for the flood version.

I bet either would work well, but I bet you'd want more throw than the floody version for bike use. You may want to wait for reviews on each of these after they're released to be certain, but waiting can be a pain.

By the way, :welcome:

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I expect the regular S6330 to be all flood - can't imagine needing even more flood on top of that.

Philonous

Newly Enlightened
If it's not black, then I am really glad. Seriously considering this light pending reviews.

ZebraLight

Enlightened
I think the issue of safety with multi-cell 18650 lights is being blown out of proportion, especially with the TK75 and it's extension tubes (up to 12 18650s!). I'm into large scale electric RC airplanes and we've been using large multi-cell lipo packs for years now. In the past couple of years parallel charging has become common. You literally hook multiple packs together and charge them as one pack (for faster charging). Hooking together depleted packs at different states of discharge and having them instantly equalize at unlimited rates of discharge was a huge saftey debate in the beginning, but really has been a non-issue. As long as the packs are anywhere close to the same general state-of-charge they equalize almost instantly without getting hot or anything. The ZL 6330 will prevent issues with people using cells that aren't even close to the same state of charge, but that is just being careless...you need to keep track of cells that have been discharged already.

The other issue that I keep reading about on here is "matched cells". In RC we take multi cell packs and hook several of them together in both series and parallel, depending on the power system. Even when a cell goes bad, I have not heard of it causing a fire. The majority of in-flight fires are caused when an electronic component goes bad.

The big safety issue with lipos on the RC side of things is when charging. There are chargers that monitor and balance the individual cells. Since we always charge 18650s as individual cells on the flashlight side of things, the risk of something going wrong is low IMO. FYI, nicads and other battery chemeistries have fires too...

Batteries in the TK75 or TMxx are connected in parallel, but they are not packs, because the connections between the batteries are not spot welded. A drop of the flashlight could potentially disconnect some of the connections and leaving only one battery there trying to power all three LEDs. What if the protection circuit of that last battery is not working properly at that critical moment (shock, current over 2C, and potentially sparks from sudden disconnection of other batteries)?

g.p.

Enlightened
Batteries in the TK75 or TMxx are connected in parallel, but they are not packs, because the connections between the batteries are not spot welded. A drop of the flashlight could potentially disconnect some of the connections and leaving only one battery there trying to power all three LEDs. What if the protection circuit of that last battery is not working properly at that critical moment (shock, current over 2C, and potentially sparks from sudden disconnection of other batteries)?
That sounds like a poorly designed battery holder and a lot of "what ifs". On top of that, it takes a lot longer than a spilt second of high current discharge to cause a dangerous situation with a lipo. And lastly, what is a spark going to do with batteries that are sealed and aren't vented to the atmosphere? You would have to have a cell that is punctured for a spark to be a safety issue. If you dropped your flashlight hard enough to do that kind of damage you should be inspecting the cells for damage...if the flashlight even worked anymore. Sounds like a Mythbusters episode.

Even if all of the "what ifs" lined up I doubt anything would even happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi5lGtm_ItQ

I understand that you are marketing a product and safer is always better, but fear mongering is not helping the industry in any way. Like all batteries, 18650s need to be respected...not feared.