Zebralight SC5 and SC5w First Impressions

holygeez03

Enlightened
Nice photos... I doubt I will be tempted enough to replace my SC52w... but I might try the SC5w if I need another AA Zebralight in the future...

I wonder if there will be a SC6 in the future with the new aesthetics?

markr6

Flashaholic
Actually, if it measured 3.71v it needs to be charged - That voltage level is an almost depleted battery, especially in a high drain situation.

Thanks,
-Chuck

OK. I have the chart showing estimated OCV but can't seem to remember these values. I usually charge around 3.8v, but this cell really seems to kill itself sitting. I think I'm just used to 18650s, though.

markr6

Flashaholic
Doesn't the SC52 have low-voltage protection built into the light? If so, why does Zebralight sell a protected cell with it?

It does. I only use unprotected cells anymore. I picked this one up while ordering the SC52w before I really knew enough about Li-Ions. I guess they sell protected just for an extra safety measure.

holygeez03

Enlightened
I assume it's for liability in case someone decides to us the ZL branded cell in a different, unprotected light... it's also not a bad secondary safety measure. I only have protected cells, just in case... I'm never really in a situation where I need runtime beyond a fully charged 14500... and if I might, I bring an extra AA or two.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very tempted to file off the clip mount on the SC5.

I never use the clips anyways. And the clip on the SC5 looks particularly useless because the ribs on the bottom of the head don't have a flat area for the clip. Also the clip gets in the way of the beautiful knurling. Without the clip and clip mount it would feel much better in the hand.

This light feels quite chunky. The battery tube is thicker than it needs to be. This adds extra unneeded weight. Combine that with a NiMH cell and the entire light feels MUCH heavier than an SC52 or SC32. It's nearly the same size and weight as a DQG18650.

holygeez03

Enlightened
I too hate the lug that ZL uses for their screw-on clips... I love the removable deep carry clips that come on the headlights... which is a big reason why I EDC my H52Fw... If someone could modify a SC52 to accept the headlight clip, I would send it off.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got out the scale and did a little measuring:

SC5w with Eneloop Pro installed (500 lumens) ..................................................... 89g
SC5w w/Eneloop Pro, but clip removed............................................................... 87g
Modded Convoy S2+ mini triple with sideswitch, and 18500 installed (2500+ lumens)... 83g
DQG18650 w/Samsung 20r 18650 installed (850 lumens) ....................................... 79g

I like the knurling on the SC5w, tint, UI and beam pattern, but given its extra bulk I'm not sure it's going to spend much time as my pocket EDC.

seasam

Newly Enlightened
This light feels quite chunky. The battery tube is thicker than it needs to be. This adds extra unneeded weight. Combine that with a NiMH cell and the entire light feels MUCH heavier than an SC52 or SC32. It's nearly the same size and weight as a DQG18650.

it's thicker/heavier than it needs to be to simply house a AA, but maybe the extra mass was added to assist from a heat management perspective.

sc52 or sc32 definitely seem like a better pocket carry option. might as well pocket a 18650 light if you are carrying a SC5 :duh2:

Last edited:

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must say that after comparing the SC5 with the SC62 for a few days now I have some added thoughts that may help. While the SC5 certainly is a little heavier than the SC62 I find that the SC5 disappears in the pocket a little better due to its shorter length. The added thickness is negligible for me at least and one thing I will say is the SC5 is built like a tank. From an EDC perspective it has a thicker bezel protecting the front lens area while also offering a thicker battery tube which will prove to hold up better over time. The tint is pretty much perfect on my SC5w, it is almost a completely pure white and when comparing it to my other neutral lights and even a Nichia 219 I find that the tint of my SC5w is the most pleasing and pure white/neutral of any of them. Both the SC62 and SC5 are great lights and it really depends on what you use them for and how much brightness you'll need. For most of my EDC tasks I only use the medium modes so there isn't much difference between the two in that regard. To summarize I think the SC62 would have the greater advantage if you need the higher brightness for longer runtimes specifically for outdoor activities like hiking, camping, etc. However I find that the SC5 is a great nightstand/EDC light as it is thicker/heavier which will hold up to drops and other things better while providing enough light for most tasks.

SC5w Advantages
  • Smaller length
  • Common battery
  • Greater durability for drops
  • Knurling provides better grip
  • Great EDC light for most tasks
  • Better throw

SC62w Advantages
  • Almost double the brightness
  • Longer runtimes at higher levels
  • Not as thick as the SC5w (negligible for EDC though)
  • Lightweight
  • Great camping/hiking light

Hope this helps those who are trying to figure out the role of the SC5 compared with the SC62 and SC52. If you already have an SC52 I wouldn't say it's necessary to upgrade but if you have the SC62 it might be a nice companion for EDC use and the advantage of using common AA batteries as well as the thicker bezel for better drop protection.

Amelia

Enlightened
I must say that after comparing the SC5 with the SC62 for a few days now I have some added thoughts that may help. While the SC5 certainly is a little heavier than the SC62 I find that the SC5 disappears in the pocket a little better due to its shorter length. The added thickness is negligible for me at least and one thing I will say is the SC5 is built like a tank. From an EDC perspective it has a thicker bezel protecting the front lens area while also offering a thicker battery tube which will prove to hold up better over time. The tint is pretty much perfect on my SC5w, it is almost a completely pure white and when comparing it to my other neutral lights and even a Nichia 219 I find that the tint of my SC5w is the most pleasing and pure white/neutral of any of them. Both the SC62 and SC5 are great lights and it really depends on what you use them for and how much brightness you'll need. For most of my EDC tasks I only use the medium modes so there isn't much difference between the two in that regard. To summarize I think the SC62 would have the greater advantage if you need the higher brightness for longer runtimes specifically for outdoor activities like hiking, camping, etc. However I find that the SC5 is a great nightstand/EDC light as it is thicker/heavier which will hold up to drops and other things better while providing enough light for most tasks.

SC5w Advantages
  • Smaller length
  • Common battery
  • Greater durability for drops
  • Knurling provides better grip
  • Great EDC light for most tasks
  • Better throw

SC62w Advantages
  • Almost double the brightness
  • Longer runtimes at higher levels
  • Not as thick as the SC5w (negligible for EDC though)
  • Lightweight
  • Great camping/hiking light

Hope this helps those who are trying to figure out the role of the SC5 compared with the SC62 and SC52. If you already have an SC52 I wouldn't say it's necessary to upgrade but if you have the SC62 it might be a nice companion for EDC use and the advantage of using common AA batteries as well as the thicker bezel for better drop protection.

What an excellent writeup! Thank you! :)

I don't have an SC5, and probably won't be buying one, but I do have a SC52w and SC62w. You pretty decently summarized the difference between those 2 as well in your above post.

For me, it almost entirely boils down to weight/size vs. runtime. If I'm going camping, the SC52w/H52w combination is my first choice, unless I plan on an extended trip or one in which I plan to do several night hikes. In that case, I'll put up with the extra size/weight and take the SC62w/H600Fw combination. I like interchangeability of batteries, so I never (for example) take something like the SC52w/H600Fw combination.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of what I think has been said. With this light, just seems they should have made it CR123 compatible at this size. I think I just need something more to justify keeping it. :(

I guess it just fills the gap where someone is not willing to go into the Li-Ion rechargeable world.

ahtoxa11

Newly Enlightened
I guess it just fills the gap where someone is not willing to go into the Li-Ion rechargeable world.

Running on AAs is nice. I have an h52 that's basically treated as a backup when I go somewhere, because I can always score a pack of AAs at the minimum, just about anywhere.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of what I think has been said. With this light, just seems they should have made it CR123 compatible at this size. I think I just need something more to justify keeping it. :(

Given the fact that the light is already a AA light and that 14500s are better from both the standpoint of capacity and available quality cells (compared to CR123), it would have been better to just make it 14500 compatible (like the SC52) rather than CR123 compatible.

Amelia

Enlightened
Given the fact that the light is already a AA light and that 14500s are better from both the standpoint of capacity and available quality cells (compared to CR123), it would have been better to just make it 14500 compatible (like the SC52) rather than CR123 compatible.

I only own one CR123/16340 light (a leftover SRT3 from my multi-fueller project) for those very reasons. For me, CR123 just doesn't make sense. I've been tempted by the Zebralight H32w because of the PID, but I'm going to give it a pass because it just doesn't "fit in" with the rest of my lights and their AA/18650 scheme. Now... if a quality Japanese made 16340 cell ever arrives on the scene, I might reconsider... :)

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast

I figured to differentiate it from the SC52, give is something unique rather than competing with the SC52. It would give potential sales a boost rather than choosing one or the other with the same platform.

Thinking SC80. smaller and weighs less.

Last edited:

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only own one CR123/16340 light (a leftover SRT3 from my multi-fueller project) for those very reasons. For me, CR123 just doesn't make sense. I've been tempted by the Zebralight H32w because of the PID, but I'm going to give it a pass because it just doesn't "fit in" with the rest of my lights and their AA/18650 scheme. Now... if a quality Japanese made 16340 cell ever arrives on the scene, I might reconsider... :)

Yeah, of course. If you only use AA/18650, then a light that takes CR123 size batteries would be the odd one out. :)

gkbain

Newly Enlightened
I have carried the sc5w for a few days now and agree with several of the posts. The lights specs doesn't seem to be very much at all bigger than the 52, but after caring the 5 for a few days the small size difference does make a difference. IMHO it is a better night stand light than an EDC. I have ordered the SC32w to try that. In the meantime I am back to caring the 52 for now just wish it was a w instead of a cw.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have carried the sc5w for a few days now and agree with several of the posts. The lights specs doesn't seem to be very much at all bigger than the 52, but after caring the 5 for a few days the small size difference does make a difference. IMHO it is a better night stand light than an EDC. I have ordered the SC32w to try that. In the meantime I am back to caring the 52 for now just wish it was a w instead of a cw.

You'll really enjoy the SC32 I think, great little light and extremely compact. I have to say that the SC5 is a great EDC for me though and the extra thickness gives better durability. I really wish they would make another SC80 type of light which would be interchangeable between rcr and AA batteries. I still find that my favorite EDC light is still the EX11.2/D10 series from Nitecore.

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

What Zebralight needs is an extension tube for the SC32. That way, you can use it with a 14500 and get the benefits of PID (rather than having that stupid one minute timer like in the SC52).