Zebralight SC5 and SC5w First Impressions

markr6

Flashaholic
I ALMOST tried a 14500 since I was so pissed about the purple issue. But I resisted!

I did however just try 2xCR123 in my SC62w. No problems...yet!

HikingMano

Newly Enlightened
Same here, I had to return it. I wonder if this happened to more than we think and some people just don't notice it or their eyes can't see it? I noticed it right away without wall hunting.

I hit it on a white wall first because I was going straight to programming. So disappointing.

Don't want the hassle of returning it?

No problem! ... you should take one for the team and be the first in the world to try a 14500 in it!!!![...]

Ha, no thanks :)

I used a DSLR camera and stopped the brightness down to different levels and used different white balance settings and wasn't able to detect it on my copy and I didn't see it with my eyes either. From what I can tell it sounds like there may be a first batch that had either LED issues or the LED was mounted/glued too high causing the purple tint. My guess would be a bad batch of LED's since some had this issue and others did not but I'm not really sure. I'm waiting for someone to try a 14500 battery ;)

Yeah, I'm sure some of us were just unlucky... again..... argh.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ALMOST tried a 14500 since I was so pissed about the purple issue. But I resisted!

I did however just try 2xCR123 in my SC62w. No problems...yet!

Nooo! Drop the resistance... YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO BE THE FIRST TO TRY A 14500 in it!!!!!!:twothumbs

Rastus9

Newly Enlightened
Just got my SC5 and it has a slight purple tint to the beam. Most people who have had this issue have reported it to be in the centre spot. However, my centre spot is white ,but, the rest of the beam has this slight purple tint. Is this normal, has anybody else seen this?
thanks for your help.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing to keep in mind is that unlike prior Zebras, this one has a smooth reflector. This gives more throw than an orange peel reflector, but artifacts or rings in the beam pattern won't get smoothed out.

Personally, I'm quite impressed with my SC5w's beam pattern. Even though it has a smooth reflector there are no visible rings and the beam pattern is quite smooth and clean. It has the best pattern of any smooth reflector light I own. I think they did a great job with it.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my SC5 and it has a slight purple tint to the beam. Most people who have had this issue have reported it to be in the centre spot. However, my centre spot is white ,but, the rest of the beam has this slight purple tint. Is this normal, has anybody else seen this?
thanks for your help.

Cree LEDs are normally white in the hot spot, green in the corona, and purple in the spill. Some better than others, it's a bit of a gamble, but they all have it.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for your help.

From what you're describing, it sound perfectly normal.

hatman

Enlightened
The tint, beam and hot spot are so beautiful I can't wait to get out at night and walk the dog!

My two wonderful SC52ws are relegated to backup duty.

espresso

Newly Enlightened
How does SC5 turbo hold on half empty / near empty Eneloop? Does it still work? And how is turbo performance on non Eneloop NiMH batteries and perhaps high drain alkalines?
I already have a small 510lm PD22UE which runs on 16340 but one AA light would be really nice.

Al Thumbs

Newly Enlightened
thanks for your help.

If your hot spot is white, do you notice the purple tint in the spill in real-world use? Is it only apparent on a test surface (i.e., a white wall)? I hope I am not stereotyping, but I have always assumed that when someone chooses a cool-white light over a warm or neutral light, that the user is more interested in maximum lumens and tint variations are less important.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does SC5 turbo hold on half empty / near empty Eneloop? Does it still work? And how is turbo performance on non Eneloop NiMH batteries and perhaps high drain alkalines?
I already have a small 510lm PD22UE which runs on 16340 but one AA light would be really nice.

I didn't do much of a test on that for mine but I did take an Eneloop Pro that was about half empty (or half full depending on perspective haha) and the brightness seemed the same. Keep in mind this is from a visual standpoint so I'm sure if you tested it with equipment like selfbuilt does you may or may not see a decrease from a depleted cell. However I will say the 3 mins at turbo seems very well regulated and I can't notice a change in brightness and a depleted cell still gave similar results.

Rastus9

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like the purple tint in the spill is fairly normal. The center spot is very white, it is only in the spill. It is more noticeable when I compare it to my SC52. Would the smooth reflector also show more purple in the tint when compared to the orange peel reflector in the SC52? I can only see the purple against a white wall and probably not even tell when I am using the torch. I only thought it might be an issue when other people commented on the purple tint in the hot spot.
Thanks

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the way all Zebralights are set up - one fast click (from off...) goes to the highest mode.

Not exactly. It goes to either the highest mode (H1), or a secondary mode you program in (H2a, H2b, etc). You choose which is the default.

Amelia

Enlightened
Not exactly. It goes to either the highest mode (H1), or a secondary mode you program in (H2a, H2b, etc). You choose which is the default.

Correct. You need a fast double-click to switch back to turbo if you left the light in the lower of the 2 high modes. I often forget this - as I just leave my high mode in H1 all the time and never use H2, I just use M1/M2 for my next step down from "Turbo".