Zebralight SC51 (XP-G R4) & SC50w (XP-E Neutral) 1xAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS +

Rej

Newly Enlightened
Re: Zebralight SC51 (XP-G R4) & SC50w (XP-E Neutral) 1xAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOT

My SC51 received about 1 week ago, direct from China....shows no visible PWM in any of the levels, that I can tell.

srfreddy

Enlightened
Re: Zebralight SC51 (XP-G R4) & SC50w (XP-E Neutral) 1xAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOT

I think they're still busy figuring the SC600 and updated SC30 out... and the higher power SC60.

mellowman

Newly Enlightened

SC51 & H51 are cool white XP-G R4 not R5. The SC51w and H51w are R2 neutral whites which I think are from the Cree neutral white bins not the outdoor white bins so they have a bit more CRI 75 vs 70 for the outdoor.

dongkoo

Newly Enlightened

I see your reveiw, I want it.
Thanks for great reveiw.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got my first Zebralight today. It´s a SC51w. I´m amazed with it´s quality! Machining is perfect and I love natural colored HA. Threads and tailcap are smooth and fits perfectly too. I love the electronic button too, with it´s soft touch.

I´m shocked with it´s size. This thing is more smaller than I thought! By seeing it on pictures I thought it would be like a Surefire E1B, but it´s smaller... real tiny. Perfect for EDC!

Beam pattern is perfect. No rings, only a huge hotspot with soft transition to spill. It´s powerful too, with 172 lumens on high mode (warm tint).

I gotta say... I´m a huge Surefire fan, but Zebralight, in my opinion, is the "non american" flashlight that almost reach Surefire machining quality. It´s the number one in chinese lights for sure!

I am really, really impressed with it´s overall quality and tiny size...

:faint:

Last edited:

jbdan

Newly Enlightened

I just got a sc51w and sc51 as well this light is spectacular especially the "w" version. Thanks for the time put into the reviews that make it easier to purchase lights ;)

curry__muncha

Newly Enlightened

Recently recieved my SC51. the 200 Lumen output is simply awesome. Build quality is to spec, LED is centred and not cloudy, fit and finish is superb, waterproof, beam pattern is perfect.

Unfortunately the PWM is noticable when waving the light around. Very barely noticable when actually being used properly. Not really an issue as there are plenty of non PWM modes. Either way, Zebralight have stated that all their newer lights will be purely current regulated, so thats gonna be sweeeeeet.

5780526524_e688838e2d_b.jpg

Last edited:

agoston.berko

Newly Enlightened

i also want to buy that extraordinary EDC.
i struggling between SC51 and H51.
Which is better ?
And which exact typ-nr has the strongest LUMENS with eneloop on HIGH-MODE ?

do i have to order it from china ? or is there any shop in the EU-region ?

thank you.

or is there any stronger AA light out there (eneloop) ?

Enzo

Newly Enlightened

Your question is the best edc and for that my choice is the SC51, which is my edc light. However if your question was the best headlamp, then the H51 would be my choice.
I think for an edc light you want a little more throw and a more concentrated beam.

igoman

Newly Enlightened

Do any of you guys still prefer the Fenix LD10 over the Zeabralight SC51 and why?

Russ Prechtl

Newly Enlightened

Do any of you guys still prefer the Fenix LD10 over the Zeabralight SC51 and why?

I don't. I don't think the LD10 can touch the 51's versatility.

Last edited:

Chongker

Newly Enlightened

My LD10 has been gifted away :p

igoman

Newly Enlightened

What about using the sc51 like a camp lantern? I need a light that I can use in a tent or on a table to stand like a candle to light up the room. I know that there are diffusers for the LD10 that you can attach to use the flashlight as a lantern, but what about the SC51?

chrisbright

Newly Enlightened

"Voltages: 0.7V - 2.5V. 14500 Li-ion batteries are not supported."

I'm still not clear, is using 14500s OK or not, in the SC51?

Some people seem to be fine with it, some wouldn't do it. Has anyone using 14500s had trouble with SC51 LED or circuit damage?

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Voltages: 0.7V - 2.5V. 14500 Li-ion batteries are not supported."

I'm still not clear, is using 14500s OK or not, in the SC51?

Some people seem to be fine with it, some wouldn't do it. Has anyone using 14500s had trouble with SC51 LED or circuit damage?

A few users here have reported success with 14500's in the 51's, but I am not willing to try it with my H51w. I think you'd be sacrificing a lot of efficiency and risk frying the light, let alone voiding the warranty.

If you really want a ZL that is 14500 capable, get one of the SC50's... they have them on clearance right now. My main EDC is a 50w+ and I don't see any reason why I should 'upgrade' to a 51w. I am considering getting a 51c though; but I'm a neutral snob and don't do ANY cool tints, so I'm biased. :D

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened

the SC51 is very-slightly brighter, but you won't notice the diff. in real use (unless comparing them side-by-side), and the tint of the SC51W is definitely nicer IMO.
After quite a lot of reading up on this forum, I think that the SC51 sounds like my ideal light! I really can't think of anything I would change, apart from maybe (in an ideal world) making parts user replaceable. But, the question remains - should I go for the cool or warm version? Does the warm version offer any practical advantages, apart from the 'nicer' colour? Is a case of although the light is slightly dimmer, it's easier to pick things out with a colour temperature closer to daylight?

The main use it will see is an EDC, where usability is more important than absolute brightness (as typically I'm never far from a source of 1-2000 lumens), but there is part of me that likes the 'wow factor' of a bright light in a small package! If anybody could come up with some side by side beamshots of the two different SC51 versions (I'm slightly leaning towards the SC51w at the moment) that would be most helpful.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does the warm version offer any practical advantages, apart from the 'nicer' colour?
Well, the Med modes have longer runtimes on the w version vs the cool. And you'll not likely notice the difference in output between the two. Cool vs the warm. And the Med modes have some very useful output for intermediate needs. It's surprising how much light the 26 Lms actually is on M1. I use that setting a lot on my SC51w. Runtime for that mode with the new XX Eneloop is 15 hrs. That's an amazing amount of light and runtime for a single AA light.

lightsandknives

Enlightened

After quite a lot of reading up on this forum, I think that the SC51 sounds like my ideal light! I really can't think of anything I would change, apart from maybe (in an ideal world) making parts user replaceable. But, the question remains - should I go for the cool or warm version? Does the warm version offer any practical advantages, apart from the 'nicer' colour? Is a case of although the light is slightly dimmer, it's easier to pick things out with a colour temperature closer to daylight?

The main use it will see is an EDC, where usability is more important than absolute brightness (as typically I'm never far from a source of 1-2000 lumens), but there is part of me that likes the 'wow factor' of a bright light in a small package! If anybody could come up with some side by side beamshots of the two different SC51 versions (I'm slightly leaning towards the SC51w at the moment) that would be most helpful.

I just received the cools SC51, and it's a beautiful tint. It's actually a creamy white light. I compared it to my Quark Mini CR2 and the ZL is much warmer. I think mine is the perfect tint. But, I'm not a fan of real warm tints.

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened

Well, the Med modes have longer runtimes on the w version vs the cool.
Thanks for that, I'd missed the subtle difference in the specs. As I don't generally like normal LED lights, and flourescent lighting I think I will go for the w version.

Marc999

Newly Enlightened

I'm interested in the SC51W. I would like confirmation though as whether or not the pwm is noticeable [as in: annoying] on low-low or medium modes?

Some are saying yes, others are saying not noticeable.

cheers,
Marc