Zebralight SC600-III (XHP35, 1x18650) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

K9Patrol

Newly Enlightened
I just received this light today and discovered an undocumented mode that's probably worth adding to the review text. There's a 5th beacon mode (Location beacon). If you turn off the light in L2 and then triple-click to activate the beacon modes, the .2hz low mode will then become a location beacon. Turning the light off when in L1 and then doing the same will revert it back to its default mid-output .2hz mode.

I expect this to be useful to anyone (like me) who has inadvertently gotten it into this mode and doesn't know how to get it back to normal, or to someone wanting to use the location beacon function. By the looks of the specs, it could probably be left on indefinitely without any significant impact to the battery.

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
It's been a while since my last post [I've been off in the wilds more than home, it seems]. I really appreciate your SC600 Mk III review, as I now need a new higher-intensity light to replace some >>>10-yrs old ones I have carried in vehicles over the years. Seems like this ZL is a good balance, and so one is on order. I still use my original Q5 and SC51s all the time.
Thanks again for your valuable work.

greatbluewhite

Newly Enlightened
Pardon my ignorance but what is a difference between:
Zebralight SC600w MK3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BU7674O/?tag=cpf0b6-20
Zebralight SC600 MK3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BU70MTA/?tag=cpf0b6-20
TIA, Mike
The tints are different. The 'w' has a warmer tint, and is called Neutral White by Zebra. Its tint is rated at 4500 Kelvin. The other one is Cool White and rated at 5700 Kelvin. Lower Kelvin number means warmer tint.

Tint is a matter of preference and context (e.g. Outdoor has more green, brown and red, and warmer tints give better contrast. Urban usage has more white and grey, and cooler tint personally allows for better identification of non-white on objects that are supposed to be clean and white.).

I have the Cool White, and it's just right for me as I live in an urban area.

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received a SC600w HI today. It does not crush a NCR18650GA. The only drawback -- barely noticeable LED displacement. I guess other people wouldn't even notice it, but I am too picky as always.

One more "feature" worth attention: heats up rather quickly at H1. Cannot imagine practical use of H1 in Zebras with thinner bodies. They should burn fingers in half a minute.

markr6

Flashaholic
Received a SC600w HI today. It does not crush a NCR18650GA.

It took me months of (almost no) use to see it. Not sure if it happens over time or just at once. I don't think there's much if any variance on the cell length, so expect it to happen. I don't think it's the light either, unless they changed the pogo length (unlikely since mine are so short as is)

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
It took me months of (almost no) use to see it. Not sure if it happens over time or just at once. I don't think there's much if any variance on the cell length, so expect it to happen. I don't think it's the light either, unless they changed the pogo length (unlikely since mine are so short as is)

Hmm... Strange enough. May that be a thermal issue? H1 -> battery hot -> its body extends more than aluminum body of the light, eh?

KhazukX

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks to the OP. :) This review was a major factor in my decision to get the SC600 Mk3 HI. I'm a newbie to the flashlight world so I can't distinguish yet a good tint from bad but this light rocks! Working flawlessly on LG 18650HG2 and Sanyo NCR18650GA 18650s.