Zebralight SC600Fd III Plus - XHP50

TCY

Enlightened
According to what they had told me the plans for the SC63 are to release a floody version (4K and 5k tint) next using the XHP35 and then a high CRI of 90+ for the SC63, using the xhp35 also. I don't think they will use the xhp50 in the SC63 right now as it seems like they'll stick with the xhp35 for their other models also.

That is what I meant. ZL is only going to attempt for a XHP50 variant SC63 later this year or next year if the SC600 variant sells well.

TCY

Enlightened
Wow, 37 posts into this thread and not a single complaint about pogopins or unprotected cells. Hope I didn't jinx it.

@TCY Kudos to you for contacting them (TWICE in 1 day) and getting answers! I wish ZL had (and utilized) a Twitter feed or something for connecting with customers and fans.

It's either me or one of the ZL fans out there, someone has to quench our thirst :nana:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in the ~4000k camp - hope they do a headlamp with XHP50 in HiCRI 4000K :)
Good stuff!!!

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is what I meant. ZL is only going to attempt for a XHP50 variant SC63 later this year or next year if the SC600 variant sells well.

Ah gotcha, sorry I must have read your original post wrong! I like that they are pushing hard for high CRI, as in 90+ for many of their models now. That seems to be their theme for 2016 with the 93-95cri XHP50 and possibly a 90+ SC63 also. Would love to see them add a high CRI variant of the SC5 that gets 90+ and also one for the SC32. It's nice to see a company though that understands the value of it and is producing more models with higher CRI compared with the rest of the market. After using neutral whites especially 80+ CRI and better the 65-70cri cool white used by other companies just looks... Horrible.

TCY

Enlightened
Ah gotcha, sorry I must have read your original post wrong! I like that they are pushing hard for high CRI, as in 90+ for many of their models now. That seems to be their theme for 2016 with the 93-95cri XHP50 and possibly a 90+ SC63 also. Would love to see them add a high CRI variant of the SC5 that gets 90+ and also one for the SC32. It's nice to see a company though that understands the value of it and is producing more models with higher CRI compared with the rest of the market. After using neutral whites especially 80+ CRI and better the 65-70cri cool white used by other companies just looks... Horrible.

I started from a P12, now I gave my P12 away. No way I could put up with the 6500K 65CRI beam anymore. As flashaholics we adore companies like ZL that steps into the neutral& high CRI zone. My only wish right now is a SC63 housing a high CRI XHP50 with a clear lens. 2000 lumens of high CRI goodness with some throwing capabilities in an EDC sized body would be a dream come true.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it's insane! And for what? An extra ~8-11% lumens? Pass.

I think its because the emitters are cheaper and easier to source. Also because they still sell fine because most average flashlight buyers dont know the difference and only see lumen count. I am glad some companies are recognizing there is a demand though because I love neutral white hi CRI as well. In fact, I wont even buy anything but neutral white or preferably hi CRI NW these days.

shira

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the ~4000k camp - hope they do a headlamp with XHP50 in HiCRI 4000K :)
Good stuff!!!
A color temperature of 4 million wouldn't be visible to the human eye. Assuming you had any eyes left after your head was flash-burned to a crisp.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Zedralight SC600Fd III Plus - XHP50

Digg the high CRI, but would prefer the tint to be around 4000K.

Maybe they will make an SC600Fc III. Not sure, though, since this would have to compete with the SC600w.

markr6

Flashaholic

You guys and your 4000K! I'm surprised. But definitely a million times better than any cool white junk above 6000K.

Now that I've thought about this one more, I'm not feeling good about the frosted lens. Too bad :( but I may still try it out.

I think manufacturers continue to make "almost perfect" lights just to drive me crazy.

TCY

Enlightened

I just checked NC's EC4S runtime, 2 X 18650 gives 45 minutes on turbo (2150lm). Unless ZL decides not to go lumen crazy on this light, its circuitry needs to be ultra efficient to impress on paper. Or could it be Nitecore using miserable circuitry on EC4S?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

You guys and your 4000K! I'm surprised. But definitely a million times better than any cool white junk above 6000K.

Now that I've thought about this one more, I'm not feeling good about the frosted lens. Too bad :( but I may still try it out.

I think manufacturers continue to make "almost perfect" lights just to drive me crazy.

I actually think I am going to try a 4000K med/hi CRI. I got a H600Fd MKIII(5000K) a while back and am actually finding it on the edge of too cool for outdoors(even my D25C Nichia 219b is pretty cool). I am finding that the warmer side of neutral looks/works better for an outdoor light and makes the the foliage look nicer and feels more warm and comforting. The question is if 4000K is too warm? As of now, I am finding 4300-4500K best but, have never tried warmer, yet... I might have to order the H600Fc MKIII too for backup/comparison.

The average household light bulb is soft white(2700K) and thats what makes most comfortable so, I often wonder why people want to go so cool with a flashlight.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic

I am finding that the warmer side of neutral looks/works better for an outdoor light and makes the the foliage look nicer and feels more warm and comforting.

Can't argue there. Even after running for 30 minutes with my H600w (4400K), it starts to look cool in comparison to many other street lights, headlights, etc. For outdoors, it is good to lean towards warm. In general, I think I just try to hit a sweet spot which can work fair-excellent in most situations.

I don't know how I used to backpack with the Petzl purplish-blue junk! And if it's snowy out, uuugh. A cool, unforgiving nightmare!

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can't argue there. Even after running for 30 minutes with my H600w (4400K), it starts to look cool in comparison to many other street lights, headlights, etc. For outdoors, it is good to lean towards warm. In general, I think I just try to hit a sweet spot which can work fair-excellent in most situations.

I don't know how I used to backpack with the Petzl purplish-blue junk! And if it's snowy out, uuugh. A cool, unforgiving nightmare!

Me neither. Petzl makes good headlamps though that never let me down(my last was the Tikka XP2 Core) but, their tints are terrible.

uofaengr

Enlightened
I actually think I am going to try a 4000K med/hi CRI. I got a H600Fd MKIII(5000K) a while back and am actually finding it on the edge of too cool for outdoors(even my D25C Nichia 219b is pretty cool). I am finding that the warmer side of neutral looks/works better for an outdoor light and makes the the foliage look nicer and feels more warm and comforting. The question is if 4000K is too warm? As of now, I am finding 4300-4500K best but, have never tried warmer, yet... I might have to order the H600Fc MKIII too for backup/comparison.

The average household light bulb is soft white(2700K) and thats what makes most comfortable so, I often wonder why people want to go so cool with a flashlight.

One reason I leaned toward the H600Fc was that I have a BLF A6 in 5A tint, which by my measurements, is right at 4000-4100K on most modes, and if you ignore white wall hunting and putting it beside your best neutral white tints, it's quite pleasant in use. In my uses I look at a decent bit of colored wiring and it's very pleasant to use outdoors also, and the reds, oranges, greens, all pop nicely, and it's not high CRI.

The question is how close to 4000K will you actually get with your copy of the light? We know the "d" model is more like 4700K (a relief to me) on at least one model, and I think I've seen someone say their "c" is more like 3700K. Is that too warm? I don't know. I have a ToolVN in XP-L HI 4000K, and it measures 4400K and is very, very pleasant (could be my favorite tint of all my lights) with near zero tint shift, but it's definitely not 4000K. Moral of the story, it was a good bit off from nominal 4000K but on the good side (for me).

So for whatever reason, I went with the "d" model. Maybe the little bit of extra brightness got me, maybe I was afraid I'd get a "c" that's a little too warm. As long as there's not a bunch of green in the "d", I'll probably be cool with it.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast

Your eyes do their own white balance when there are multiple tints present, so the 4400K will look extra warm in the presence of cool white light, and extra cool in the presence of warm white light.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Your eyes do their own white balance when there are multiple tints present, so the 4400K will look extra warm in the presence of cool white light, and extra cool in the presence of warm white light.

True but fog and damp are constant.
Hence, some of my ugly yellow & warm tints having more function outside in muddy foggy wet conditions.
5000K can still back scatter in fog and wash out wet rock and root in my experience - obviously better than 64cri cool white tho :)

recDNA

Flashaholic
5000k is my favorite tint. I avoid being outdoors in fog. Honestly, I do. 5000k if perfect for me indoors and outdoors. 4000K looks yellow. Yuck.BTW, I hate indoor incandescent bulbs. I can't read under warm light. I use fluorescent or led for reading whenever possible.

Latest posts