Zebralight SC600Fd III Plus - XHP50

outdoorguy82

Newly Enlightened
:clap:Zebralight is like a fine woman, the kind you want to spend your life with. She will always have that sense of mystery that keeps you interested and wanting more. Keep up the good work ZL.

This comment made me lol...I love Zebralights and will order another one soon but I have to recover from my recent Olight M3XS-UT Javelot purchase first lol. Looking forward to this light arriving in the mail in the next 2 days!!! :broke: :crackup:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't the 50 at least as efficient if not more efficient than the 35?
I wonder whether the 50 is the 6v version.
Wouldn't a boost driver be able to drive a 6v 50 more efficiently than a 12v 35?

I don't know the answers to the first two questions.

As to the third, my general understanding is, yes, that boost drivers are more efficient when the boost is smaller. In theory, therefore, boosting a 4.2 volt Li-ion battery up to 12 volts should be less efficient that boosting it to 6 volts.

roger-roger

Enlightened
I think it's difficult to compare the PID controlled levels, as it's unknown how the output changes throughout the runtimes.

Take a look at the sub 100 lumen modes.

Good point about the frosted lens reducing output though.

I see what you mean. Although as mentioned, different emitter and a system still awaiting final optimization

- SC600w MK3: M2b - 10lm - 8 days
- SC600Fd MK3 Plus: M2c - 10.4lm - 4.6 days

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait, is anyone surprised that a larger HiCRI emitter behind a frosted lens is less efficient ?

;)

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't the 50 at least as efficient if not more efficient than the 35?
I wonder whether the 50 is the 6v version.
Wouldn't a boost driver be able to drive a 6v 50 more efficiently than a 12v 35?

Actually the XHP 35 is more efficient. According to Cree's data sheet the XHP 35 has a max efficiency of 172 lm/W while the XHP 50 is 149 lm/W. Add the frosted lens and high cri then the results aren't surprising. Also the new driver may need further tweaking to reach optimal performance too. My guess is the less efficient emitter, higher cri and frosted lens are creating most of the drop in runtime.

markr6

Flashaholic
Wait, is anyone surprised that a larger HiCRI emitter behind a frosted lens is less efficient ?

;)

Actually the XHP 35 is more efficient. According to Cree's data sheet the XHP 35 has a max efficiency of 172 lm/W while the XHP 50 is 149 lm/W. Add the frosted lens and high cri then the results aren't surprising. Also the new driver may need further tweaking to reach optimal performance too. My guess is the less efficient emitter, higher cri and frosted lens are creating most of the drop in runtime.

Exactly. I think we all knew this wasn't going to be a super-efficient do-it-all light. It's a unique torch with a cherry-picked emitter to produce a tint so pleasing not even I can complain. At least that's what it sounds like :)

I'm 99% sure my first impression will be "eeeeh, nice tint" and it will end there. With not even a hint of throw or a hotspot, I'm sure the high CRI won't even make up for it. But I still bought one and it's worth a try. High CRI, high output, great UI in a small package will make for a nice light for certain uses.

JStraus

Newly Enlightened
So I have preordered, but keep waffling on whether or not to keep the order or cancel.

I see a bunch of people saying that the "f" beam profile makes it less useful.

Someone help convince me to keep the preorder!

I have H600w MKII. I think this light is great I don't find it too spotty as its spill is good. To me it puts good light right where I'm looking and has some reach. (Like when camping and gathering wood, setting up, etc.)

I have an SC63w. Basically the same but handheld. Great for quick light up tasks or hiking or night dog walking. Perfect for night stand and late night house maneuvering.

I have an SC52w. Same as above but more pocketable for 'less intensive use' situations.

Soooo. Does anyone think that this will fit into my lineup as well or better than say the SC600 MKIII Hi?

I have spottier lights, and don't think that the MKIII Hi will greatly supercede what the 63w does for me. I don't need the reach or longer H1 runtimes.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

fnsooner

Enlightened
^^^I am in the same boat as you. When this light (the Plus) was first announced, I had decided that it wasn't for me. My experience with the frosted lenses is that they are only useful to me in the headlamp form factor. But when the preorders of the Plus became official, I decided to preorder. I own the SC62w, SC63w and the SC600w HI and am not really sure where the Plus will fit in.

My justification for the preorder is more about curiosity and getting a High CRI neutral flashlight with tons of lumens in such a small size. It really is unprecedented. I also haven't bought a flashlight in eight months and Zebralight has been good to me over the years. I don't mind throwing them a bone on this one.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking of getting this one. Sounds like great output for a high CRI light.

Biggest downside for me is the throw. With a frosted lens and larger domed die, I expect this to have maybe 2000-3000 lux, making it suitable only for up close use.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^I am in the same boat as you. When this light (the Plus) was first announced, I had decided that it wasn't for me. My experience with the frosted lenses is that they are only useful to me in the headlamp form factor. ...

Maybe Zebralight should come out with an H600Fd III Plus.

fnsooner

Enlightened
Maybe Zebralight should come out with an H600Fd III Plus.

Or c with a 4000k color temp.:naughty:

The Plus is the first flashlight that I have bought where tint is everything. If it knocks my socks off, I can find a use for it. If the tint is meh, it will probably find its way to the back of the flashlight drawer.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, the frosted lens is a plus!

In a general-purpose flashlight, such as the ZebraLight SC600 Mk. III Plus, I have a strong preference for broad hot spots and bright spills. A frosted lens helps enhance both of those.

I think the ZebraLight SC600 Mk. III HI is a good companion for the Plus.

Something like the Astrolux S2 or Astrolux S3 might be an even better fit with the Plus. Those two Astrolux models are the re-branded versions, respectively, of the earlier BLF Kronos X6 and BLF Kronos X5. If size is a concern, the X5 is not much bigger than the SC600 HI. It out-throws it, however, by a considerable amount. If you are carrying your flashlight in a coat pocket or pack, the X6 may be the better choice. It exceeds 50,000 candela, and gives you the long runtimes of 18650. The X5 uses the smaller 14500 battery.

For those who purchased one of the regular SC600 Mk. III flashlights earlier this year, and those who bought the SC63, the decision whether to buy the Plus is a close one. The step up to high CRI is a very real improvement. The beam pattern, however, of the Plus, is probably very similar to ZebraLight's earlier releases. Depending how much you value high CRI, the hundred-dollar price tag may be more than you care to spend.

If I already owned an SC600 or SC63, I would probably wait to see just how good the Plus turns out to be. If the reviewers confirmed what the specs are promising, I would then sell my existing SC600 or SC63, and take the plunge on the Plus.

Last edited:

Flashlight Junkie

Newly Enlightened
My wife just called. She won $600 at bingo and said she would buy me this light.

I have the SC600w Mk II L2. Great tint, size, and very bright, so looking forward to getting this one.

I do wonder about something. If the XHP35 is more efficient than the XHP50, why not throw a frosted lens on the XHP50 HI? Wouldn't that result in a smooth beam with a bit more throw? Just thinking that, if it works, it would be a nice compromise.

TCY

Enlightened
XHP50 doesn't have a factory flat dome HI version. Dedoming the XHP50 affects both tint and CRI. The XHP35 (172lm/W) is more efficient than XHP50 (149lm/W) but the XHP35 HI (139lm/W) is actually a bit less efficient than XHP50.

Flashlight Junkie

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info, TCY. That makes me want this new light even more. I wish there was something between 1500 lumens and 666. Maybe when the programming instructions are released I can get the 1011 lumens mode.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will a frosted lens hold back some light - in that some light will get reflected backward toward the reflector and LED?

Connor

Enlightened
Will a frosted lens hold back some light - in that some light will get reflected backward toward the reflector and LED?

Yes, about 10%. The ZL lumen numbers are OTFL (out the frosted lens), though. :cool:

Rawk

Newly Enlightened
It all sounds good with the exception, that I can't use my protected 18650 with it. :(
Which cells do you trust and will work with it ?