Zebralight SC600Fd III Plus - XHP50

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
My co-worker broke his. Took over 2 months to get it back repaired. Just a heads up.

Yeah shipping to china and back takes awhile plus the turn around time to fix it. Wish they had a US facility, would make for much faster turn around time.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Does this light make sense?

There's a heavy OP reflector under the frosted lens, these two work together to smooth out beam artifacts coming from the XHP50 inside. There would be a dark hole in the middle of the beam if the frosted lens is replaced with a clear version.

I don't think any of the manufacturers are designing flashlights with removable lens as this will basically render a flashlight's water proof feature non-existent, and dust would cover the surface of the reflector and LED inside whenever the lens is removed.

There are lights that settle that issue perfectly because of their modularity: Elzetta, Malkoff, etc :) And their water resistance is not compromised at all.

TCY

Enlightened

There are lights that settle that issue perfectly because of their modularity: Elzetta, Malkoff, etc :)

Good point, but I think Beckler is talking about swapping out the lens only, not the entire head.

TCY

Enlightened

This idea is not up with Zebralight marketing policy. They want you to possess separate lights :)

It's good that I'm only into HI CRI flooder at the moment and I have a M43 for fun :thumbsup:

Auringonvalo

Newly Enlightened

Anyone tested Sanyo NCR18650GA and Sony Konion US18650VTC6 battery with this light? I keep using H1 mode mostly and heard that VTC6 voltage drops slower with high discharge, so any benefits in this case? VTC6 costs ~ 25% more than Sanyo.

VTC6 can tolerate higher usage temperatures than Sanyo (80C vs 60C)? Now if I only could tweak SC600Fd max temp so that it goes up to 75C instead factory 55C max limit. Light itself is rated to 85C, if I remember correctly. Zebralight email support said that they can't control which batteries people use when I told about VTC6's higher temp tolerance and therefore asked higher max temp setting.

TCY

Enlightened

Anyone tested Sanyo NCR18650GA and Sony Konion US18650VTC6 battery with this light? I keep using H1 mode mostly and heard that VTC6 voltage drops slower with high discharge, so any benefits in this case? VTC6 costs ~ 25% more than Sanyo.

VTC6 can tolerate higher usage temperatures than Sanyo (80C vs 60C)? Now if I only could tweak SC600Fd max temp so that it goes up to 75C instead factory 55C max limit. Light itself is rated to 85C, if I remember correctly. Zebralight email support said that they can't control which batteries people use when I told about VTC6's higher temp tolerance and therefore asked higher max temp setting.

The SC600Fd Plus requires a maximum continuous current of 8A on H1 which both batteries can easily deliver. Temperature doesn't matter as SC600Fd's PID will kick in long before the battery reaches 60C, and I doubt that the VTC6's discharge curve would yield any significant benefit over the 18650GA given the difference in price.

geokite

Newly Enlightened
Any recommendations for a silicone diffuser for this light? Preferably GITD

Steve

Merkurio

Newly Enlightened
Hello there!

I'm interested in acquiring my first "serious" flashlight, and Zebralight caught my attention from the very beginning (after researching other first-name brands).

Do you think the SC600Fd III Plus (Neutral White) is a valid first choice for a neophyte? I really like the opinions about size, UI, and build quality of the SC600 series, seems like is one or the best (or the better) EDC flashlight out there.

I plan to use it when I walked with my family and dog in some dark areas around parks, home tasks and sure, for testing and enjoyment.

Other people told me that the XHP50 model was very floody (but indeed I want this), and the XHP35 model could be a better suit for me. What do you think about that? I'm not interested in a very thrower light, at least for now.

Furthermore, I like to know if the frosted lenses have a negative impact comparing to the normal ones in the XHP35 model.

Really appreciate your help!

Greetings. :thumbsup:

Connor

Enlightened
:welcome:

Merkurio, the SC600Fd III Plus is an excellent choice for short range (up to ~25 meters) illumination because it is indeed very floody. The high CRI LED makes it a much better choice than the XHP35 models in my opinion.
A frosted lens reduces light output by ~10% and they are by design a little more susceptible to impacts but in return you get a wonderfully even "wall of light".

Last edited:

TCY

Enlightened
:welcome:

Merkurio, the SC600Fd III Plus is an excellent choice for short range (up to ~25 meters) illumination because it is indeed very floody. The high CRI LED makes it a much better choice than the XHP35 models in my opinion.
A frosted lens reduces light output by ~10% and they are by design a little more susceptible to impacts but in return you get a wonderfully even "wall of light".

Well said. How are you liking yours? Still use it on a regular basis?