Zebralight SC600w II L2 Announced for September

easilyled

Flashaholic
Well that about spells out why I still haven't bought one of the new lights that I'd originally assumed I would.

Great designs with too many corners cut in manufacturing and assembly.

I'm beginning to feel a little bit put off by this too. My original SC600 still works great but has a reflector that looks permanently misted-up. I found that its not water-vapour or steam on it though - it just looks like it!!!

I was hoping that the new version as well as being even more compact and powerful wouldn't have this reflector issue but on the other hand it looks like there might be a lot of other issues to contend with.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
More marks on the HA surface from the factory? Maybe a Zebralight worker is handling the lights in bunches during cleaning or packaging and knocking them around together (gasp!).

Shouldn't the lights be handled more like fine jewelry or nice Swiss watches or something? lol !

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I would love to see some photos of Zebralights facility. With all the variance in function and QC, I still feel like it's just two guys with a few machines in a strip mall somewhere!

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
would be good if ZL could let us in on their work like Fenix did some time back.
there is a link of that somewhere here. very interesting.
thanks.

markr6

Flashaholic
Maybe a couple of kids in China working in a basement for sub-standard wages? :D

Anyway, those kids need to be whipped some more, to get their back-orders finished!

LOL!!! So bad, but gave me a much needed laugh today.

On another note, I like the tint on this new SC600w so much I ordered another SC52w HOPING it will be the same.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not overly thrilled with Zebralight either. If there were another manufacturer that filled this niche I would definately move on and not look back.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to see some photos of Zebralights facility. With all the variance in function and QC, I still feel like it's just two guys with a few machines in a strip mall somewhere!

Most company websites will have an "About Us" section to tell a little bit; Sometimes it is more sales pitch but nothing like that on ZebraLight.com. If you go to "Contact Us" and click directions to their address, then click satellite image, you will see a group of square structures about 5 car lengths each side. If one assumes they are in one of those buildings then it is not a huge space. Is this where the US manufacturing plant is? A while back I did a search about the company and I am no cyber Sherlock but really didn't find out very much. The owner has a Chinese sounding name but the website says US owned and operated (or something).

RIX TUX

Enlightened
Most company websites will have an "About Us" section to tell a little bit; Sometimes it is more sales pitch but nothing like that on ZebraLight.com. If you go to "Contact Us" and click directions to their address, then click satellite image, you will see a group of square structures about 5 car lengths each side. If one assumes they are in one of those buildings then it is not a huge space. Is this where the US manufacturing plant is? A while back I did a search about the company and I am no cyber Sherlock but really didn't find out very much. The owner has a Chinese sounding name but the website says US owned and operated (or something).
They are made in China.
Designed, Engineered and Distributed in Texas.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
would be nice if they were made too in Texas. american made, american parts.

The current batch of ZL SC600 MKII L2 are made in the USA. (according to self-built) Aluminum's from the US, anodizing was done in the US, potted circuit made in USA. I believe this can be considered to be Made in USA now.

Old models of ZL's were made in China, hence it ships from China if you live in the East Asia region.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK thanks, that's good reassuring news I guess.
would be nice to visit that place and see what's what.

The current batch of ZL SC600 MKII L2 are made in the USA. (according to self-built) Aluminum's from the US, anodizing was done in the US, potted circuit made in USA. I believe this can be considered to be Made in USA now.

Old models of ZL's were made in China, hence it ships from China if you live in the East Asia region.

CrazyM

Newly Enlightened
According to Selfbuilt these newer models have their aluminium body and anodizing done in america....

Edit: Too slow!

RIX TUX

Enlightened
OK thanks, that's good reassuring news I guess.
would be nice to visit that place and see what's what.
This is on the owners manual for the SC600 Mk II L2.

"ZebraLight flashlight and headlamp products are designed and engineered inthe U.S. and manufactured in China. The distinctive shapes and styles of allZebraLight products are trademarks of ZebraLight, Inc. U.S. and international​
patents are pending."

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

How does this seem to be affecting quality control - was it better before or after the change?

markr6

Flashaholic
How does this seem to be affecting quality control - was it better before or after the change?

I'm curious too. I'm assuming the H52w and SC600wII I just got were from the new US batch. I liked everything about them including the tint so I just ordered another SC52w to compare to my original. I'll either keep both or let one go. ZL site says In Stock so hopefully I'll have it soon.

BTW, one thing I don't like about the SC600wII is the lanyard stub. That's right where I want the clip to sit! So I just put it off to one of the sides, not a huge deal. I could grind it down but I don't feel like doing that.

jimboutilier

Enlightened
I'm curious too. I'm assuming the H52w and SC600wII I just got were from the new US batch. I liked everything about them including the tint so I just ordered another SC52w to compare to my original. I'll either keep both or let one go. ZL site says In Stock so hopefully I'll have it soon.

BTW, one thing I don't like about the SC600wII is the lanyard stub. That's right where I want the clip to sit! So I just put it off to one of the sides, not a huge deal. I could grind it down but I don't feel like doing that.

I felt the same way about the lanyard bump. Then I realized they offset it so it's not quite opposite the switch and if you rotate the clip up against it from the right direction the clip is close enough to opposite that it works for me. Would have preferred the lanyard ring to be rotatable though.

markr6

Flashaholic
I felt the same way about the lanyard bump. Then I realized they offset it so it's not quite opposite the switch and if you rotate the clip up against it from the right direction the clip is close enough to opposite that it works for me. Would have preferred the lanyard ring to be rotatable though.

I just assumed it was 180° from the switch...I wasn't looking closely. I'll have to check this out when I get home! Thanks

jimboutilier

Enlightened
I just assumed it was 180° from the switch...I wasn't looking closely. I'll have to check this out when I get home! Thanks

I assume they offset it a bit on purpose to allow you to position the clip opposite the switch so your thumb falls on the switch when you reach into your pocket much like the thumb hole/stud on a tip up carry knife. They could have offset it a bit more but it's pretty close.

If they didn't do it on purpose they really have QC issues cause it's a fair bit off from 90 degrees - lol.

PS - if you have to rotate your clip around to the other side you might want to use some soap or wax as the anodization isn't too durable and can scratch easily.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I assume they offset it a bit on purpose to allow you to position the clip opposite the switch so your thumb falls on the switch when you reach into your pocket much like the thumb hole/stud on a tip up carry knife. They could have offset it a bit more but it's pretty close.

If they didn't do it on purpose they really have QC issues cause it's a fair bit off from 90 degrees - lol.

PS - if you have to rotate your clip around to the other side you might want to use some soap or wax as the anodization isn't too durable and can scratch easily.

Mine was offset but just 1-2mm at most. Good enough. Regarding the anodizing, I was worried about this while attaching the clip. Turns out, any scratching appears to be from material from the clip on mine, not the anodized finish - I could see gold-ish colored reisdue rubbed off from the clip.