Zebralight SC600w IV Plus

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received mine here in Manila Ph [emoji759] (pre-order at ZL website

Thanks for those beam-shots, paojerokid! Those are really interesting. The PLUS actually looks like it has a *brighter* hotspot. But that may be the result of different exposure conditions between shots. Could you show us a single shot with both beams side-by-side?

holygeez03

Enlightened
I'm very surprised to see the size of the hotspots so similar in those beamshots... is the Plus being held closer to the wall? That would also explain the similar apparent brightness.

paojerokid

Newly Enlightened
Here's a side by side beamshot. Both should be around same distance from wall.
034ff8ad096ada72899072ad223aabfa.jpg

holygeez03

Enlightened
Thanks.... that makes more sense... Patiently waiting for my Plus to arrive.

Any chance you can provide an outdoor beamshot comparison?

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! In the side-by-side shot, that PLUS still looks very, very bright. Every part of the beam looks at least as bright as the corresponding part of the HI beam, and it is also bigger.

The size of the hotspot is about what I imagined given the difference between 8 degrees and 14 degrees. But I see *very* little drop-off in intensity when I go from the HI's hotspot to the PLUS's hotspot. By the numbers, it should be putting out something like 2/3rds of the luminous flux per square whats-it in area. But it *looks* about equal. (This may just show, once again, that eyeballs are not light-meters.)

Very cool--I am tipping towards getting the PLUS, and seeing if it will displace my Mk III HI from its place in my pocket.

terjee

Enlightened
Wow! In the side-by-side shot, that PLUS still looks very, very bright. Every part of the beam looks at least as bright as the corresponding part of the HI beam, and it is also bigger.

Just keep in mind that when the image is all white, you don't really know bright it is, you just know it's bright enough to saturate the sensor or image. In two saturated images, one can easily be 3 times brighter than the other for example.

Not saying that's the case here, just mentioning. :)

Oh, and same applies to how even the hotspot is. If the whole thing is saturated, you don't really know if it's even or not.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just keep in mind that when the image is all white, you don't really know bright it is, you just know it's bright enough to saturate the sensor or image. In two saturated images, one can easily be 3 times brighter than the other for example.

Not saying that's the case here, just mentioning. :)

Oh, and same applies to how even the hotspot is. If the whole thing is saturated, you don't really know if it's even or not.

Agreed, good points.

I think I assume that with a lot of new cameras. it will self-adjust so that the highest-intensity part of the field is assigned the maximum value, and then other parts are assigned lower values.

But if this camera is working the way that you describe, then the relative intensities in the image do not indicate relative intensities in real life. Very true, and a good caution to keep in mind.

terjee

Enlightened
Agreed, good points.

I think I assume that with a lot of new cameras. it will self-adjust so that the highest-intensity part of the field is assigned the maximum value, and then other parts are assigned lower values.

This is a good point, but it all depends really. Not just on camera, but on settings and so on.

tonystuart

Newly Enlightened
I'm waiting eagerly for my two SC600w IV Plus lights. Hoping their small enough to pocket carry. Thanks to everyone who posted. I think ZL makes exceptional products, but I am feeling a little mislead. Placed my order (#10376173) on 11-4-17 and have not received them yet. Not my first order, but haven't the experience to know to request expedited shipping on preorders... I'm waiting patiently, but after being told it would be another 2-4 weeks from now.... Hmm...

ntalbot

Enlightened
How's the action on the switch? Is it nice and positive? Unlike all my other Zebralights, my SC600 mkII had a very soft switch, so soft it was easy to turn it on accidentally. I just want to make sure these new Zebralights don't have that problem.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
How's the action on the switch? Is it nice and positive? Unlike all my other Zebralights, my SC600 mkII had a very soft switch, so soft it was easy to turn it on accidentally. I just want to make sure these new Zebralights don't have that problem.

I carry my SC600IV HI in a holster for the last 2 weeks 8 hours a day for work.

It goes in and out probably 50 times a day and haven't had a single accidental activation. The switch is perfect IMO.

SuperCals

Newly Enlightened
I'm waiting eagerly for my two SC600w IV Plus lights. Hoping their small enough to pocket carry. Thanks to everyone who posted. I think ZL makes exceptional products, but I am feeling a little mislead. Placed my order (#10376173) on 11-4-17 and have not received them yet. Not my first order, but haven't the experience to know to request expedited shipping on preorders... I'm waiting patiently, but after being told it would be another 2-4 weeks from now.... Hmm...

I agree with you Zebralight totally dropped the ball.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering if you have both the Mk III HI and Mk IV HI. I'm interested in the differences, other than the bump in brightness.

Sorry I don't have them both. It seems very few have received the IV's. Hopefully more people will get there hands on them soon and report back. :thumbsup:

Edit: I will say I'm loving the new programmable UI. It's so nice being able to assign any of the 12 levels to whatever mode I want. That's is probably the biggest plus of the MKIV.

Last edited:

TCY

Enlightened
All Zebralight's are waterproof(at least IPX7). The newest models like the Plus are IPX8 rated(2 meter submersion for 30min).

From ZL over a year ago: "We actually believe that the waterproofness of all of our lights are better than any other popular brands. The three possible ingress points (glass, switch cover, and tail cap) are all designed and verified thoroughly and manufactured to high standards."

Apparently they just stopped being overly conservative.. hence the IPX8 rating on newer models.:thumbsup:

TCY

Enlightened
Hello. Has anyone checked the sc600 mk IV to be protected from water?

You can toss it into a pool and play with it for a while, no problem. Remember to thoroughly lubricate the threads with decent product (Nyogel 760G is a good option and is what ZL uses) for some extra waterproofness.

evil_twin

Newly Enlightened
From ZL over a year ago: "We actually believe that the waterproofness of all of our lights are better than any other popular brands. The three possible ingress points (glass, switch cover, and tail cap) are all designed and verified thoroughly and manufactured to high standards."

Apparently they just stopped being overly conservative.. hence the IPX8 rating on newer models.:thumbsup:
Thank you, although it's scary to check. I installed the modes L1 and L2 instead of H1 and Н2 and now there is no flash when the middle mode is turned on. The G7 interface is just wonderful!

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mk IV PLUS is the same size as the Mk III HI, and I have pocket-carried that every day for the last year.

I work in an office, wear pleated front khakis (e.g. Dockers, or the like), and it never feels like it is bulky or in the way.

Tastes in EDC vary a lot. Some people are comfortable wearing several pounds of hardware; some feel weighed down by a wallet and phone.

I'm probably towards the heavy end of things; I used to EDC a BM 710, but have downsized to a Spyderco UK Penknife.

Anyhow--I find the SC600 format very easy to EDC in a pocket, no holster needed. Your mileage, as they say, may vary.