Zebralight SC600w IV Plus

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
After further reading, I think either the SC600W MK IV Plus or the SC600Fd.

Looking for something to replace my current D4. I love the D4 but it just heats up too fast and not a big fan of the 4000k tint that I got.

If you want something comparable to the D4, the SC600w MkIV Plus is probably the closest. It does get hot on max, but you'll get 1-2 minutes before the thermal controls start to ramp it down. If you grip it tightly, you might get more time, since the heat-sinking is excellent.

I use it as a bike light, and I can run it on max indefinitely if it's a cool night. The breeze I generate keeps it from ramping down.

Last edited:

MKayze

Newly Enlightened
If you want something comparable to the D4, the SC600w MkIV Plus is probably the closest. It does get hot on max, but you'll get 1-2 minutes before the thermal controls start to ramp it down. If you grip it tightly, you might get more time, since the heat-sinking is excellent.

I use it as a bike light, and I can run it on max indefinitely if it's a cool night. The breeze I generate keeps it from ramping down.

How's the flood compare to a D4 with the frosted optic? Thats awesome that It'll last that long on max. What about around 500 lumens?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
How's the flood compare to a D4 with the frosted optic? Thats awesome that It'll last that long on max. What about around 500 lumens?

The 600w Plus is quite floody (it has a 16 degree hot spot, and lots of spill), with the frosted lens it would be very floody. It's not really useful for throw, but it's great for a wall of light out to modest distances.

I find that at 700 lumens (and below), thermal regulation does not kick in. So it's constant output at that level. BTW, it uses a boost driver, so it maintains constant output over the entire battery run, at all output levels. I suppose if you're tail-standing it in a warm room, the thermal regulation may eventually kick in at 700 lumens, but in normal use it doesn't.

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
Re: Zebralight SC600w IV Plus - Unwanted brightness stepdown

I've had this light for a couple of years now and recently it has consistently (by that I mean every time) automatically stepped down in brightness after a second or two at the top setting. This is regardless of the battery or its charge (behaves the same with two different, fully-charged batteries), Never did this before, but it's every time now. It has gotten daily but usually quite short use, but I'm wondering if it has reached the end of its service life, although I was expecting to get a few more years out of it.

Any ideas? Up until now, it's been my all-time favorite light.

Connor

Enlightened

First thing I would try would be cleaning ALL the electrical connection points.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had this light for a couple of years now and recently it has consistently (by that I mean every time) automatically stepped down in brightness after a second or two at the top setting. This is regardless of the battery or its charge (behaves the same with two different, fully-charged batteries), Never did this before, but it's every time now. It has gotten daily but usually quite short use, but I'm wondering if it has reached the end of its service life, although I was expecting to get a few more years out of it.

Any ideas? Up until now, it's been my all-time favorite light.

Yes, what Connor suggested. Clean ALL the electrical contact points. Electrical Contact Cleaner is best, but rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip will work in a pinch.

Never spray the cleaner directly into the flashlight, always apply a small amount to the Q-tip, then use that to clean the contact. When cleaning the contact up inside the batter tube at the head of the light, be sure and hold the light UP with the opening of the tube facing down, so you don't have any cleaner running down into the driver area of the light.

Next clean the contact bumps in the battery tube cap, and while there, see that metal ring around the outside of the contact bumps? That's where the end of the battery tube makes contact with the cap (when it's all screwed together), so clean that too. And finally, clean the end of the battery tube. That is what fits down inside the cap and makes contact with that silver ring, and since it is close to the battery tube threads, sometimes a bit of lube gets on there. Oh, and don't forget to clean both ends of each battery.

After you've thoroughly cleaned all those points, if you're still having an issue, I'd probably check your batteries. What brand are they, are they protected, and how old are they? Do you let them run all the way down before charging? These lights demand a LOT from a battery when used at the highest level, so the battery needs to be in primo condition.

The thing is, this light should have a service life of many, many years. I got one of the first ones they sent out, and I've been using it nightly at work ever since, so some pretty hard use, and not only does it still look new, but it operates perfectly, so I'd consider all other options before thinking it's an issue with the light.

However, if it does turn out to be an issue with the light, Zebralight will fix any of their out of warranty lights for $15. You simply contact them to let them know of the problem, then send your light in (with tracking), and it usually takes about a month before you get it back, although it might be a bit longer with the current world virus situation.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, that sounds like a battery issue. Though, cleaning all contacts is certainly worth a try. The 600w IV Plus requires up to 8 amps (depending on battery voltage sag) on the H1 max setting. Older batteries, even when fully charged, may not be able to deliver the required current without sagging to a voltage level that causes the light to step down. Even new batteries, if they are not high drain, may not be able to supply enough current. Use brand-new Samsung 30Q's, or Sony VTC6, for the best combination of current and capacity. They'll work well.

You can try playing with your programming mode of the M1 or M2 medium modes, to narrow down the problem. The way Zebralight does step-downs, is they go from whatever your High mode is (H1 or H2, whatever you're using), to your medium mode (M1 or M2, whatever it is set at), then down to low (L1 or L2).

So, try setting your M1 mode to the 1400 lumen setting, using the G6 or G7 group. Then, see if the light will step-down from 2300 to 1400 lumens, or if it will then quickly go to the low mode setting. Repeat the experiment with a half-drain battery. It might give you some idea of how good your battery is. Anyway, you probably get the idea.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's not the battery and not a cleaning issue.

I've had this problem occur on several Zebralights. I cleaned all contacts with Deoxit Gold and applied new batteries that worked fine in other lights (including other Zebralights).

The unwanted stepdown appears to be inside the light in a non-user-serviceable area. Perhaps the contact from the driver to the body tube. The fix is to send the light in to Zebralight for repair.

ZebraCraig

Newly Enlightened
I recently received a new SC600w IV Plus and have been comparing it to my SC600w II L2.

I live close to a park with hiking trails through the woods which go around a lake so it's a pretty good place to compare flashlights.

This is how I programmed G6: H1=1,311/H2=705, M1=171/M2=77, L1=5.0/L2=1.8

I compared G6 against the SC600w II L2 and visually this gives about the same comparable results. The SC600w II L2 has more throw but he SC600w IV Plus lights up a larger area in front of you with its brighter spill. On M and L modes the SC600w IV Plus uses about twice the lumens to create similar perceived brightness to that of the SC600w II L2 so it has reduced runtimes. On L mode the IV gives more of a wall of light whereas II gives a bit more throw. Both are very nice and frankly I'm impressed with how well the II did in this comparison! For walking on trails I like the IV. For looking at things that are farther away the II is better.

The IV is smaller and lighter with an easier to press button which clicks louder. It's almost too small for my hands but I'm getting used to it :grin2:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey ZebraCraig, welcome to the forum!!! I've got both of those lights and use both for different purposes as well. If the SC600w IV Plus feels a bit small, you'll have to try the SC700d, which is the light I keep on my bed stand. It feels really nice in the hand. Enjoy your Zebras : )

Kuroyuki

Newly Enlightened
Upgraded my floody light carry to SC600w IV Plus. Really liking it so far with the nice floody beam. My initial edc carry for flood was the SC64 (really liked the size) but since I wanted to have longer run times for the higher output opt to get the sc600w IV Plus as well.

Oboe

Newly Enlightened
I just finished playing outside with my new SC600w Mk IV and Mk IV Plus with charged LG HE2 cells. First, I tested the Mk IV against my old and beloved SC600w Mk II L2. Gotta say, I'm a bit disappointed. Even though the Mk IV outputs 40% more lumens (1400 vs 1028), it doesn't look that much brighter. The Mk IV Plus has a beautiful, wide beam and a bit more throw than the Fd Mk III Plus (frosted lens). I definitely like it better than the III Plus. I'll probably send the IV back for a refund and keep the IV Plus. At any rate, at $89-$99 US a pop, I'm done with the lumens race. Unless Zebralight rolls out a Mk V at 3,000 lumens, I'm out for a bit. Peace!
In audio, the lowest readily detectable increase in loudness is stated to be 3db. I've read that the same applies to light. 3db represents a two fold increase, 1/2, 50/100, 350/700, and so forth. Forty percent falls short. Of course, some eyes (along with their associated brains) work better than others.