Zebralight SC600w IV Plus

insanefred

Enlightened
Even in pitch black I never saw a use for .01 lumen, it wasn't enough light to light up much of anything at all. However, .1 lumen I have found to be rather useful.

Take off your sunglasses. :cool:

Seriously,though,thatiswhyzebralightsareprogrammable.

terjee

Enlightened
Maybe you'all already knew this, but apparently the SC600Fd III, and all 18650 lights released after that one, have a driver that has 2048 sublevels, many which are much lower than the ones published on the ZL website. Their choice of .2 for the SC600w IV Plus lowest level has nothing to do with limitations imposed by the LED or driver, but is a conscious choice on the their part to set the 12 allotted user levels so that they are spaced "perfectly to the human eyes".

Just to clarify:

When you're in one of the new mode groups where everything is fully configurable, would you be able to select a lower mode group from those 2048, or would you be limited to choosing among the original 12?

If the internal sublevels are only relevant for factory programming or PID, it doesn't change much.

If they're available for programming for the user, so you could set 0.01 even if the lowest listed L2 is 0.12, then it solves everything.

holygeez03

Enlightened
That's weird that it was an actual decision that ZL made to not have a single mode below 0.1 lumen... I understand the desire to have "perfect spacing" but there is is a point where it is acceptable IMO to have a "jump"... and that's when going from moonlight/firefly modes into the general use levels.

With all of the programmable options on ZL's, you would think they could keep some way for a user to set-up one group of super low modes.

terjee

Enlightened
I think the spacing is solid enough reasoning for the pre-set H1 through L2, but I'm not sure it holds up as well for the alternative second levels. There's still a bit of a point though.

typevii

Newly Enlightened
Yeah... is there any reason L2 can't be 1.8/0.6/0.2/0.1/0.05?

Or even better, for all the new Zebralights, headlights as well (the new 604c looks great but for the lack of a true low low), just have the lowest low as 0.01. Keep the others as a nice even spread; whatever. But at least give those who want a really low low the option to select it. Isn't that the point of the programmable UI, to give us the option to use these modes in the way that really suites us. If you don't think 0.01 is useful, then just set your L2 to 0.5, but don't remove it for those who do want it.

I personally prefer my h1 to be a super bright outlier, and my L2 as a super low outlier. With all the rest set for a nice even spread.

holygeez03

Enlightened
That doesn't work, because I find 0.01 to be useless... I would want ~0.05... which is why we need all the options.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to clarify:

When you're in one of the new mode groups where everything is fully configurable, would you be able to select a lower mode group from those 2048, or would you be limited to choosing among the original 12?

If the internal sublevels are only relevant for factory programming or PID, it doesn't change much.

If they're available for programming for the user, so you could set 0.01 even if the lowest listed L2 is 0.12, then it solves everything.
My understanding is that those 2048 sublevels are not available for end user programming, only for factory programming, so we are only able to program the originally included 12 levels, but now, or course, we can put them in any order we want in the UI.

I tend to feel that the very stable and extremely efficient low light levels, available for years on previous models, are kind of a ZL hallmark, and I'd like to see them continue that tradition. In fact, that, to me, would be what could make this into a nearly perfect light, being able to rock & sock it with 2300 lumens, but also have the ability to use super low moonlight levels as well, with a good selection of useful in between levels to boot.

The guys in the SC64c thread were able to persuade ZL to change their planned low for that light from .12 back down to .05, so I see no reason we can't do the same thing with the SC600w IV Plus. Contact ZL and let them know your thoughts.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the spacing is solid enough reasoning for the pre-set H1 through L2, but I'm not sure it holds up as well for the alternative second levels. There's still a bit of a point though.
Yes, I can see their point, but for my uses, I'd rather see the extreme lows and have less than perfect spacing.

Of course, this brings up the point that maybe it's time for a new driver that has more than 12 levels. Keep the same 3 main levels, but add the required number of sublevels in order to keep that perfect spacing. Maybe easier said than done, but ZL has continually raised the bar, and I see no reason why they would stop now.

typevii

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I can see their point, but for my uses, I'd rather see the extreme lows and have less than perfect spacing.

Yes. My point exactly. For the extremes I can forego perfect spacing if we get an extreme low.

Nichia!

Banned
orbtronic is the best place ever for li-ion
And Sal is my best friend and orbtronic Customer support is the best on the planet!

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
orbtronic is the best place ever for li-ion
And Sal is my best friend and orbtronic Customer support is the best on the planet!
Ah... I think you may have posted in the wrong thread? Or was that a reply to someone way earlier?

Orbtronic is just a re-wrapper not a manufacturer so, I don't see any benefit using their cells since these lights only take unprotected flat tops. Unless of course you like the look of their wrapper lol.

I do agree though, Orbtronic is supposed to be a good company to deal with.

Last edited:

Nichia!

Banned
They have unprotected flat top and they are the best source for li-ion batteries

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
They have unprotected flat top and they are the best source for li-ion batteries
Yes I know they do but, they are just re-wrapped OEM cells with Orbtronic labels on them. And, you pay extra for that label. Orbtronic doesn't make them and they are the same cells that any other retailer sells. There are a number of other great sources for li-ion including Illumn, IMR Batteries, Li-ion Wholesale, etc. But yes, Orbtronic are supposed to be good too, as is KeepPower, if fancy wrappers are your thing.

Now let's get back on track here. This thread is about the Zebralight SC600w IV Plus not batteries.

Last edited:

Nichia!

Banned
No that's not true. They have Naked ones and for the same price as any cheap source. But the reason I mentioned them because they are a reliable source for most li-ion batteries

Last edited by a moderator:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
No that's not true. They have Naked ones and for the same price as any cheap source. But the reason I mentioned the because they are a reliable source for most li-ion batteries
Yes, I see they also have some naked cells. And, I agreed with you, they are a reliable source but so are many others like the ones I listed. Now, can we please get back to Zebralight's.

Last edited by a moderator: