Zebralight SC600w Mk III HI am I the only one having a bad experience?

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much lux was that light putting out though? The MK3 HI is a 1200 lumen light tuned for throw. The only reasonable situation I would see it being ok is if the beam was pointed directly down in front of you and they just caught a glimpse of the spill. In which case you'll proabably be the one blinding yourself.
+1

I do not look into headlights for obvious reasons. How many dead deer on the road wish they had not .:caution:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
And headlights are only roughly 700 lumens each, are behind a diffuser, and are pointed towards the ground.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
And headlights are only roughly 700 lumens each, are behind a diffuser, and are pointed towards the ground.
That is what makes it easy to NOT look at them.

The bicycles I have seen using a non-disorientating strobe are quite easy to deal with; once I make a visual contact I use peripheral vision.

PeterRamish

Newly Enlightened
I hope none of the automotive guys see this thread...

Well, you found one ! I have been off roading with my Rubicon for years, and have installed and tested more HIDs and light bars than i care to remember. Automotive lights meet strict standards and the technology is very sophisticated with real time adaptive optics that account for level and attitude of the vehicle, as well as certification for 'off road use' vrs 'street legal'. it is clear that just bolting a MKIII on your vehicle (bicycle in this case) is not exactly, what we might call, cutting edge product application engineering !

Note that, of course, the OP did not say which MKIII strobe mode he was using, as there is fast, slow, beacons and so forth. Nor did he say what the attachment system is: Is this on the handle bars pointing forward at an angle parallel to the street? What kind of streets are we talking about here. Federal DOT regulations actually specify minimum street width dimensions. 30' from centerline is typical. Therefore on a rural country road, the OP could be riding (if he is using the road right of way) 1/2 that distance to the eyes of an on coming vehicle. Just for fun I set up my MKII in strobe mode last night and placed it 15' off center x 6' height on a tripod, and drove toward it in my Prius. All I can say is WHEW!!!

So, anyway, we are missing a lot of information before we land on him too hard. But I think it is fair to say that the whole proposition is a little rough around the edges, and under certain circumstances there is a definite possibility that things could go very wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a California Brake and Lamp License when I worked as a Journeyman Mechanic and I know about what is acceptable and not. Most bicycles do not have lighting placed 6 feet off the ground; it is usually at handlebar height.

I think the real problem is not which flashlight strobe to use, but how smart and knowledgeable is any user of today's LED flashlights when being used.

jwill911

Newly Enlightened
Well, you found one ! I have been off roading with my Rubicon for years, and have installed and tested more HIDs and light bars than i care to remember. Automotive lights meet strict standards and the technology is very sophisticated with real time adaptive optics that account for level and attitude of the vehicle, as well as certification for 'off road use' vrs 'street legal'. it is clear that just bolting a MKIII on your vehicle (bicycle in this case) is not exactly, what we might call, cutting edge product application engineering !

Note that, of course, the OP did not say which MKIII strobe mode he was using, as there is fast, slow, beacons and so forth. Nor did he say what the attachment system is: Is this on the handle bars pointing forward at an angle parallel to the street? What kind of streets are we talking about here. Federal DOT regulations actually specify minimum street width dimensions. 30' from centerline is typical. Therefore on a rural country road, the OP could be riding (if he is using the road right of way) 1/2 that distance to the eyes of an on coming vehicle. Just for fun I set up my MKII in strobe mode last night and placed it 15' off center x 6' height on a tripod, and drove toward it in my Prius. All I can say is WHEW!!!

{some omitted]
So, anyway, we are missing a lot of information before we land on him too hard. But I think it is fair to say that the whole proposition is a little rough around the edges, and under certain circumstances there is a definite possibility that things could go very wrong.

Well to add a little context to this story; received my new charger yesterday and charged my batteries fully to 4.19v. The ZebraLight seems to work really well now and I'm looking forward to familiarizing myself a bit more with interface. I rode to work this morning leaving at 6:00AM it wasn't that dark so I mounted my trusty Shiningbeam light on the bike, I'll save the Zebralight for later in the year when it's really dark and know how to safely use it so I don't disorient or blind "others".
I do appreciate all the schooling I've gotten, maybe should have done more homework on my own. But I'll be a more informed and safer user. I think the Zebralight SC600w Mk III HI is a more capable beast than I needed but I'll make use of it.
Thanks,
John

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Zebralight SC600w Mk III HI is a more capable beast than I needed but I'll make use of it.
Thanks,
John

I think you bought one of the best flashlights for bicycle use. :thumbsup:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope none of the automotive guys see this thread...

Too late! :)

I've been in traffic with people who have helmet-mounted strobing lights, and I can tell you they are from obnoxious to downright dangerous. While we're talking about bicycles mostly here, remember that you're on a road with other non-bicyle traffic. Remember, that light points where you look, so when you swivel your head around to see where you're going, or see who's approaching, you'll easily be pointing that light right in the eyes of another driver.

With handlebar-mounted lights, it's not quite as bad, but it doesn't take very much output for the light to be seen, and from there, to be, again, obnoxious or dangerous. If you want conspicuity, forget the extra lights and wear the kind of clothing that makes being seen, and identified as a cyclist, much easier and safer than blasting light everywhere. A lower power, STEADY, front light is fine, but strobing is just disorienting.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too late! :)

I've been in traffic with people who have helmet-mounted strobing lights, and I can tell you they are from obnoxious to downright dangerous. While we're talking about bicycles mostly here, remember that you're on a road with other non-bicyle traffic. Remember, that light points where you look, so when you swivel your head around to see where you're going, or see who's approaching, you'll easily be pointing that light right in the eyes of another driver.

With handlebar-mounted lights, it's not quite as bad, but it doesn't take very much output for the light to be seen, and from there, to be, again, obnoxious or dangerous. If you want conspicuity, forget the extra lights and wear the kind of clothing that makes being seen, and identified as a cyclist, much easier and safer than blasting light everywhere. A lower power, STEADY, front light is fine, but strobing is just disorienting.
If ignorant people were prohibited from driving or riding bicycles there would not be a problem; auxiliary lighting is not the problem. People are the problem.

A helmet mounted ZebraLight SC600 Mklll-HI is an example of ignorance. Here in California a bicycle on a public street or road is subject to the same laws as a motorist; I would welcome law enforcement giving out citations to bicyclists who use light in a dangerous way. California does have regulations about output and aiming restrictions.

A ZebraLight SC600 Mklll-HI would be a good handlebar light if used with same restrictions of other automobile and truck lighting on public roads.

Do not blame a tool for someone who misuses it.

Moderator Edit
Kindly stop using the :caution: emote, it is not warranted here

--Alaric

Latest posts