Zebralight SC700d 21700 XHP70.2 90+CRI

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm just wondering if I should cancel the 21700 cell I ordered along with my 700d. Will they not get those in time? If they don't I assume they'll hold up my order.

There's plenty of time, so I'm going with it for now, trusting they'll have those in stock by December.

Samsung INR21700-40T photo is up and in stock.

candelabrah

Newly Enlightened
Is it just me, or does it look like the 700d will have a non-reversible pocket clip? The groove looks uniquely tiered and deeper towards the tail. This looks like a one-way snap-on.

I'm only a ZL headlamp owner at the moment, so I'm not sure how ZL typically does clips on larger lights (between screw-in and snap-on). But I do appreciate the reversible clip on my H52w. Sometimes I like to keep a light heads-up in a bag, but clipped in.

t76turbo

Newly Enlightened
Is it just me, or does it look like the 700d will have a non-reversible pocket clip? The groove looks uniquely tiered and deeper towards the tail. This looks like a one-way snap-on.

I'm only a ZL headlamp owner at the moment, so I'm not sure how ZL typically does clips on larger lights (between screw-in and snap-on). But I do appreciate the reversible clip on my H52w. Sometimes I like to keep a light heads-up in a bag, but clipped in.

The clip only goes in the groove near the tail cap per the pictures on ZL's site. Unless they change it in production models.

t76turbo

Newly Enlightened
My biggest concern is the fact ZL mentions only flat top UNPROTECTED cells will fit. Not sure if that will always be true. But being much more comfortable with protected cells, that may be a deal breaker for me personally.

I do do want this light though.

holygeez03

Enlightened
You must be new here... ZL has been doing this for a long time... buy quality unprotected cells and you will have the same chance of problem as using protected cells (slim).

t76turbo

Newly Enlightened
You must be new here... ZL has been doing this for a long time... buy quality unprotected cells and you will have the same chance of problem as using protected cells (slim).

Not new. Check out the date under my user name. Less than a year newer than you

But it I know what you mean. You can be safe with the correct procedures and buying good cells. But I like to have a little back up to my procedues just in case. Probably overkill to be so cautious.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
But it I know what you mean. You can be safe with the correct procedures and buying good cells. But I like to have a little back up to my procedues just in case. Probably overkill to be so cautious.

Zebralight has things like low-voltage-protection and thermal protection built right into the light. There's really no need for protected cells, unless your charger is doing bad things.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was concerned about unprotected cells in my ZL, I learned about ZL's circuitry with safeguards built in, it's no longer a concern as I used top quality cells

Glock27

Enlightened
Don't assume a protection circuit actually buys you more protection. The + ribbon cable is very susceptible to damage/shorting. There have been lots of documented instances of this...

G27

markr6

Flashaholic
I agree. Doubling up protection isn't always a good thing. In fact it could make things worse. I have a good example, but it's a bit crude so I'll refrain from going any further.

justanotherguy

Enlightened
Correct me if I'm wrong. But don't protection circuits limit the amps...so if your are pulling 5 plus.. It'd trip...? What would the amp limit be typically on a protected cell?

Keitho

Enlightened
Pretty much all consumer electronics use "unprotected" cells, and rely on the device's circuitry. Think of a typical device with a single 18650 cell, like my toothbrush. It doesn't have a cell with a wrapper covering a protection circuit--it uses an "unprotected" cell, and has charge/discharge circuits to protect it built into the toothbrush.

Multi-cell devices, especially with cells in series: yes, please, protect every cell. Single-cell [something]-fire lights--if you must use the light once prior to throwing it in the trash, use a quality protected cell. Single-cell lights, or multi-cell lights with all-parallel cells--I don't see a need for individual cell protection if the device is high quality and has protection circuitry.

Another example of protection being a bad thing--some are prone to cutting out from a shock--like a weapon-mounted light. Not that a Zebralight is a good choice for weapon mounting...

holygeez03

Enlightened
Do you really have a toothbrush with an 18650 in it? That seems like a LOT of capacity... probably don't need to charge it very often.

Keitho

Enlightened
Do you really have a toothbrush with an 18650 in it? T
Actually, that's a great question. I assumed based on the size/weight of the toothbrush it was an 18650...but found out with a quick internet search that its actually a 14500. Makes a lot more sense, now that I think about it. The same search revealed that, of course, it is an "unprotected" cell.

Cpl S

Newly Enlightened
I was going to pass on this one, but I just pulled 10 fresh Samsung 30T's from a couple new Dewalt 3AH batteries. I was hoping for 30Q 18650's but I immediately thought about the SC700 when I saw these. I can't let these go to waste:)

I do love to talk myself into new lights.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
XHP70.2 can't be good in any torch.
Hmmmm......one of the reasons I'm looking forward to the SC700d is that I'm quite interested to see how the ZL engineers have incorporated the XPH70.2 into this new light.

They've got a pretty good track record so far, so I'm willing to bet that this light will be a winner as well.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, that's a great question. I assumed based on the size/weight of the toothbrush it was an 18650...but found out with a quick internet search that its actually a 14500. Makes a lot more sense, now that I think about it. The same search revealed that, of course, it is an "unprotected" cell.

Okay, that's it: I am going to send my electric toothbrush to Vinh and ask him to upgrade it to an 18650.

A V54 toothbrush! Wait till I show it off to my friends! Maybe even a Fiat Brush!

Scenic

Newly Enlightened
Hmmmm......one of the reasons I'm looking forward to the SC700d is that I'm quite interested to see how the ZL engineers have incorporated the XPH70.2 into this new light.

They've got a pretty good track record so far, so I'm willing to bet that this light will be a winner as well.

Yea, I have high hopes as well. If it's anything like the Thrunite TC20 with the XPH70.2 it will be great.