Zebralight still the way to go for a AA headlamp?

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my H53fc for a little while now, and I'm struggling to describe it well.
Never having a zebralight before, I am genuinely surprised at how light and compact it is.
Switch placement is good, and makes it easy to operate, although the UI can take a little getting used to.
I don't like the clip. It is too pointed on the end and can snag threads on the hem of a loose shirt. Why don't more manufacturers make them more like the Prometheus clips, wider and rounded?

As for the tint and beam pattern, when actually in use, and not "white wall hunting", the tint is great, my problem is that now everything is compared to a Nichia 219 which is best described as just light without much if any discernible tint. The led that I have leans a bit toward yellow, but not by much.
The beam pattern is about perfect for my headlamp uses, which is illuminating things not farther away than about 30 feet.
floody, but not to the extent of a mule.

All in all I like the light a lot and now wish I had sprung for one years ago! Live and learn...maybe next I'll try out one of their straight lights.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leaning towards yellow is not a bad thing when you've got limited lumens.

drexter

Newly Enlightened
ThruNite TH20nw is a nice option also. It is compatible with AA and 14500 battery.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
How well do the SC aa models do in the Headstraps for the H aa models? Im sure it's not ideal running a straight style zebra on the side of your head, but if it's "good enough" I may just buy a strap for now to see how much use I'd get out of a headlamp. Thanks

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A headlamp is a great invention.

Now when it's time for a screwdriver a ratchet rarely fills the bill but..

The headlamp is a very useful tool. Provided it's comfortable to wear.

TCY

Enlightened
H53Fc still going strong after some 16 months, dropped from waist height to all sorts of materials with minimal ano chip. Not much difference on paper but "hand feel" is a lot smaller when compared to the already compact H600Fc MKIV, this thing is tiny. Tint lottery is the only complaint I have for ZL so it's exciting to see them trying out Samsung emitters and maybe one day some Nichias.