USL ARRIVES! BEAMSHOTS!

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwaites said:
Ray, you should be able to adjust the can and socket down enough to get a good fit.

Of course, you will them have to readjust for the stock head.

BTW, I love the FM 6AA with a black stock Mag head and MOP/HOP reflector with the 1111. That lets you run the FM head on the USL!

Bill

Remember when I moved the can on the prototype? Never got it back in place correctly and my frustration let to some residue on the bulb which fogged the reflector. I think I'd rather just put ducttape on the FM-3 to hold 'er steady!

Strange you should mention the FM-6AA/stock head/MOP/WA1111 - that's exactly how it's setup at the moment! Though, the head looks tiny compared to that fatbody!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gee, Cap'n Lockup, you can move the can around, it's just a trial and error thing. I just eyeball them when I build them!

The threads allow quite a bit of movement to find the best point.

But, maybe I'll find the compromise spot for you while it is here being looked at and save you the hassle!

Bill

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember, I just finished the first 3 years in engineering science & mechanics - hotwire can adjustments hadn't been covered yet!

You better, or you might just find yourself cutoff from the yeller grits! :whistle:

Actually, this is a good example of my complex-solution-for-a-simple-problem mindset. Once I moved the proto can, I erased that option from my memory, which forced me to seek a more difficult solution. Thankfully, I still remember that a light bulb can be replaced by simply turning the bulb. Otherwise, I'd probably be hiring a contractor to replace lamp fixtures each time a bulb blows in my house.

Hmmm...maybe I can just send my USL to you each time I want to switch heads? :D

Last edited:

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, OK, I'll give you the simple solution.

Take a scratch awl, (or the point of a disposable knife or exacto blade) and lightly scratch all the way around the top of the can, against the inner wall of the body. That's the reference point.

Now you can go up, down, all around and always get back home!!!

You can do the same with a Marks A Lot marker, but when it gets really hot it smokes a lot and tends to slowly disappear.

Bill

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yikes!! Scratch my USL?!!!!!!!!! :rant:

How about I just remember to go to the tool box, get out my depth gauge, and measure where the can is BEFORE I move it?

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lessons learned:

1) Don't light up the USL hot off the charger - insta flash. I don't know what the safe time to wait is, but definitely longer than a few seconds.

2) If you're going to show off, have a spare bulb handy. Burnt out or broken bulb makes for a bummer demonstration :awman:.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some pictures of your Jim!!

I had to throw in that way impressive brass light :naughty:

BTW JimH also modifyed the switch protector pin. I'll let him explain but here are the pictures...

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang, that's is BLUE!!!!

Super-sized the safety pin, too!

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pictures Tony. Here's the explanation.

The hole for the pin is closer to the top of the guard than it is to the back. Using this information, you can take a hitch pin clip of the appropriate size and spread it open a bit. When the pin is in the vertical position, there is just enough tension in the clip to prevent it from falling out, and yet allow it to be pulled out with very minimal force.

When the clip is in the horizontal position (normal laying down resting position), it may only be removed with a significant dedicated amount of effort.

In the vast majority of positions for the light to be in, the clip will be in the horizontal position (i.e. laying down on the body of the light) and will be difficult to remove. Moving the clip to the vertical position, allows the clip to be very easily removed.

Anyone familiar with the securing clip on load leveling trailer hitches will recognize the principle.

One final mod I made to the clip was to cut off the unused part of the clip as shown below.

uslguardpin9jj.jpg

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
KevinL said:
Thanks guys.. I am diversifying into photography. It's something that allows me to find a peace I can't anywhere else.

Yes Kevin, those pics of the USL beamshots etc are very dramatic. I would nominate the USL vs Stock Mag for the 2005 CPF Calander :rock:

Paul_DW

Enlightened
CromagNet said:
Paul_DW -- I'm guessing you saw the pictures I posted in this side thread about a week ago :)

a USL, Mag85/3" head, X990 and a fire!!

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/97362&highlight=cromagnet

No I didn't but have just looked at it. I even tried to post on it, but CPF for me is painful to use ... :( I have a decent Broadband connection, but EVERYTHING takes forever to load ...... painful!

Cheers

mst3k

Enlightened
Its not just you man, the board is slower than a 2000 year old tortoise today.

Well, dang musta been some maintenance goin on or sumpin. She's back up to speed right now!

:wow:

Last edited:

Latest posts