Day 1 2006 SHOT Show Report

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Inova 24/7

PocketLights.com said:
The Inova 24/7 will not be discontinued. It will only be sold with an accessory kit.

David,

Thanks for the clarification.

John

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Inova 24/7

The LEDWave lights look really cool, allthough expensive. A 3 watt red production flashlight, wow! Another cool looking 2AA Lux1 as well.
Are they HA (level III) ?

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Data said:
The big 4 D-cell eGear lantern was super cool. Due out in March.

Sorry, no pics.

Dave
I went by the eGear booth. eGear isn't a manufacturer. They just sell rebranded stuff, from a lot of different companies, with there lable on it. I already have a lot of the stuff they had on display, and none of it has the egear lable on it.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Archangel said:
The head is longer. Anyone know if the reflectors are still smooth?

Yup, the reflectors are still smooth. The guy at the booth who was a big marketing mucky-muck (I got his card, but I don't have it with me, or I'd list his name and title... sorry) found out I was a CPFer and took me into the little room they had for signing paperwork, and we spent about half an hour chatting. Tony (Mag's top guy) insists that the reflectors will always be smooth. He feels that the reflector is perfect, and that, rather than compensate for an imperfect light source (originally the incandescent filament, but now including the LEDs) by "screwing up" the perfect reflector, he'll keep looking for the perfect light source to pair with the perfect reflector, so that no compensation (or compromise) will be necessary.

There will be NO retrofit kits sold for the AA models; the longer head needed is to house the longer/deeper smooth reflector. The only way to get a AA Mini-Mag will be to purchase a new one because of that, and the extra stuff needed for the LED, like the circuitry and the heat-sinking. All the LEDs (AA, C, D) will be 3W Luxeons.

Another nifty thing about the AA version is that Mag will be releasing a 3xAA version in the LED line. The extra battery will be used to provide extra run-time (IIRC), rather than noticeably increased brightness.

There will be retrofit kits (drop-in replacements for the PR-base bulb-- no reflector changes) made available for the C- and D-cell lights, in the 2, 3, and 4-cell versions. The volume for the 5 and 6-cell versions isn't enough for Mag to enter the market.

I also got to see the 2D version put up against its incandescent cousin. Now, remember that the Las Vegas Convention Center was very well-lit, so it was relatively difficult to make accurate judgments. Having said that, though, I thought that the 2-cell LED version did about as well as the 2-cell incandescent one. There were no 3-cell or 4-cell LED versions at the show (yes, I asked), and I've loaned out my 4D TerraLUX conversion to a co-worker, anyway, so it wasn't with me.

I look forward to buying (at least) one each of the 2xAA and 3xAA versions of these lights, as well as a 4-cell conversion. (For the C- and D-cell versions, there will be no difference between a new LED Mag and a retrofitted LED Mag.) I need to see how they compare with the TerraLUX retrofits I already own.

The new lights and retrofit kits will be made available to ALL retailers at the same time, which should be 90-120 days from now, if my little grey cells don't fail me.

He also said that in September, they would be releasing something very big that would knock our socks off... and then he said no more about it. (I think that's called a "teaser" in the business, don't you?)

More later, and possibly in the other SHOT Show reports thread.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. I'm curious to see the 3AA version. (smirk) Now that Mag's finally getting into the game, looks like i gotta finish the 2AAs i promised my family i'd get around to making. I wonder what the september release could be.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work PL, I can't believe Mag will be making soooo much profit on the new LED Minimag AA for $27.00!!! Wow! They probably pay 0.25 for the 1w LED if it is even a 1w.

Did anyone see if TigerLight was represented at Shot?

Anyone spend any time at the Petzl headlamp booth to check out any new stuff?

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
CroMAGnet said:
Nice work PL, I can't believe Mag will be making soooo much profit on the new LED Minimag AA for $27.00!!! Wow! They probably pay 0.25 for the 1w LED if it is even a 1w.
It isn't a 1 watt led, as discussed on several different threads here on CPF it will be a 3 watt led in the 2AA and 3AA LED miniMags.

-Keith

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
CroMAGnet said:
Did anyone see if TigerLight was represented at Shot?

I talked to a guy at the TigerLight booth for a while. I mentioned that I had a friend that collects TigerLights (guess who). I told him my friend had some of them modded by a guy name Jim Sexton and asked if he had heard of him. Well not only had he heard of him, but it turns out JS is working with TigerLight to help them improve their design.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
NeonLights said:
It isn't a 1 watt led, as discussed on several different threads here on CPF it will be a 3 watt led in the 2AA and 3AA LED miniMags.

-Keith
Hmmm... Haven't read all the threads on this yet but I'm not sure how good that will be either. Since 3w LED's are suppose to run at 750mA and two AA Alkalines only have 2.8-3.0v nominal :shrug:

I have that Jil BUS thing that you can turn a Jil into a FENIX L2P 3W.... Well... It really sux. Pretty poor light. I think they'd be much better off with a 1W. Specially after reading McG's new thread about the 1w IS run at 350mA

Anyway, so instead of paying 0.25 for an LED the pro'ly pay 0.87 cents! Still a lot for a simple mod to an already existing product that currently sells at a retail profit for about $10.

JM2C

JimH: Yup I spoke with, Michael and his wife too IIRC way back and I heard it from him about a year ago. mums was the word though :) Jim Sexton has really optomised the TL battery/bulb marriage but at a slight loss of runtime with the WA1274. 45min or so, it's still great though and now that they have a new battery and improved charger they're pro'ly back to 1-hr. The Tigerlight, as YOU know Jim are by far, my favorite flashlights that I own. They're built like a tank and worth every penny but the js Tiger11 mod (link in my sigline) is everything I envisioned a powerfull flashlight was suppose to be, before I even joined CPF. And I think I may have joined after reading the TL 8-month long thread. My hats off to to them for designing a great usable light. Not to mention I EDC mine in my CTT (my ride) and let's just say it gives one a sense of security knowing it's there within reach and it is NOT the FBOP model.
fighting28.gif

PS Cant wait to hang out Sunday [edit]Saturday!!![/edit]
happy-wavehello6.gif
night and listen to SHotShow war stories and check out any new toys and pic you brought back Jim!!!
hippie.gif

Last edited:

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
CroMAGnet said:
PS Cant wait to hang out Sunday night and listen to SHotShow war stories and check out any new toys and pic you brought back Jim!!!

Saturday Night
bangin.gif

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprized no one has brought up the picture of the Proton yet! I actually like the look of it, but I'm concerned about 2 things:

For no reason at all, it appears they rounded the tail end- there isn't even a switch there to consider, and it looks like the light won't tailstand.

There also doesn't seem to be a lanyard hole anywhere. I thought there might be a hole in the clip, but if you look at the picture closely, I don't think so.

If they weren't going to leave a flat tail for candlemode, they could have at least made it a lug tail, right? :(

Perfectionist

Enlightened
Dang it !!

You are right, gotta have candle mode ..... can't believe they screwed up after all the time they have had !!

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the other shotshow thread, greenled said that there will be other attatchment options- this clip is removable and replacable with a "lobster claw" clip. I'm not exactly sure what that means (carabiner?) but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

carrot

Flashaholic
Solstice said:
In the other shotshow thread, greenled said that there will be other attatchment options- this clip is removable and replacable with a "lobster claw" clip. I'm not exactly sure what that means (carabiner?) but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
This is a lobster claw. http://chows.smugmug.com/photos/52630439-M.jpg
There are a few variants, but this is basically what it's like.