SHOT SHOW 2023

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry, I didn't realize they've changed the strobe electronics' location in the gen3... It seems like the strobe is now integrated and can't be removed by changing the tailcap...

View attachment 37970

previously they sold the gen2 alpha as well, but seems like it's gone now, so your best bet is to get one used.
To be fair about the rechargeable batteries, the Elzetta is a hardcore heavy use flashlight, so you wouldn't want to use anything other than good old CR123s in it, as that can handle the cold way better, and also can't go into deep discharge.

Thanks, fulee! That's OK. Due to the exact design, this is only a marginal issue for me, not a serious one (as it is in some other lights). I still carry it regularly and will continue to do so, and can live with it as is. The 'prioritized tradeoffs' still add up to a near perfect light for a lot of my needs. Also, the Gen3 meets my overall needs much better than the prior version. The Gen3 Alpha made me a new Elzetta customer.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Trouble with making a great product that lasts is getting repeat customers...Elzetta branched out some and gained some new customers and some repeat customers with their much anticipated new offerings. Updated Alpha, AVS head, a high candella head, and brighter Bones

They sold me a bunch of G-series lights instead. 👍

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trouble with making a great product that lasts is getting repeat customers...Elzetta branched out some and gained some new customers and some repeat customers with their much anticipated new offerings. Updated Alpha, AVS head, a high candella head, and brighter Bones

They sold me a bunch of G-series lights instead. 👍
Trouble with making a great product that lasts is getting repeat customers

Yeah. Until a couple of years ago, the total age of my two Hondas at that time was 66 years. There was probably somebody at Honda saying: What's up with this guy? Either he's gotta die or we've gotta sell him something else. Not to give away the ending, but I'm not dead yet:)

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which I dunno why they would tease a product they are never releasing, thats bad business.

Surefire's been doing that for, what, 20 years? I remembering joining CPF in 2004 and every time Surefire announced a new light you had to hold your breath for a while to see if they'd actually sell it. I think some stuff made it into the official catalogs that never actually hit the market.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, thinking SureFire gets little interest in an announced product, they shelve it.
You may be making an interesting point here Kit. ( Heck, once in a while even I manage that:)

It could be that they lack sufficient competent Marketing weasels personnel to do marketing research using more proper methods, and they can keep the payroll lower by simply employing that technique for most of their market 'research': announce upcoming release of a new product with some detail, then gauge the response on the street to determine if the product development / project actually gets the 'green light' to proceed. I've spent (too) many hours sitting across the conference room table (never next to them) from Mktg project team members, and most of them would not agree with that marketing research methodology. That's because to many (including me, and I'm definitely not a Mktg person), that creates the appearance of an organization that's incompetent / doesn't know what it's doing. When I was a 'project team member' at more than one company, we never showed anything at a conference or trade show that was not going to production, and typically it was already in Alpha trial (internally) or often field Beta trial (using NDAs of course) by the time it was shown anywhere. Any info about anything not already well into the development cycle was considered highly proprietary info, and was kept under guard.

It's interesting that a related (but fundamentally different) technique commonly employed by (and possibly originated by) the auto makers over many years, is to do your prototype mock-ups etc. and show them at the big auto shows, and use the feedback from that to gauge interest and decide whether or not to proceed with the project, or perhaps how the direction needs to be changed or fine tuned before proceeding.

The key difference is that the auto makers prominently bill those as "concept cars" (not 'announced upcoming product releases), never suggesting that they are necessarily going to go into production (at least as displayed / shown), and no one assumes they necessarily will (at least in the form shown).

If you go to press with a designated 'concept', and everyone knows it's a 'concept', and no one necessarily expects to see it in the showroom as is, that's one thing. If you show / announce a concept, but instead of calling it that, announce it as an upcoming product release suggesting that it will soon be available, then cancel the project, the market will assume you're incompetent..

Perhaps SF just needs some competent Marketing Dept. people.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did SureFire announce products and then nothing offered to public when PK was working for them?

fixer, what do you think? Can you track PK down these days? His opinion? What he is up to?

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did SureFire announce products and then nothing offered to public when PK was working for them?

fixer, what do you think? Can you track PK down these days? His opinion? What he is up to?
Shot Show Update: PK was interviewed by Soldier of Fortune magazine, then seen walking away with two hookers, one under each arm

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
PK has become a little like Sasquatch. Occasional sightings and rumors of sightings.

He slid off the radar a couple of years back to focus on some inventions but needed to invent stuff to create the ability to invent the stuff he wants to invent. It's kinda like he has to invent gun powder to invent a gun type thing.