Some questions on KL1

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, I'm interested in getting a KL1 w/the VG FB3, can someone tell me if the KL1 is really compatible with 9V, and if so, how's the improvement in runtime?

Also, how can I tell if the KL1 is gen 4? I know the KL1 has undergone just one change so how come there's a gen 4? Kindly advise.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your KL1 will work fine with the VG FB3. No more output than 2 cells, but much longer runtime.

Gen 4 KL1's are the only ones with the smooth bezel (like the KL4).

There have in fact been four versions with different LEDs, contacts and one bezel change.

Mark

Last edited:

zehnmm

Enlightened
yazkaz: I have KL1 running on a VG3 body. In short, I like it!

My options for batteries, each of which I have tried:

1. 3x123's. Get same brightness, longer runtime. How much longer, I do not really know, because I have yet to do some tests.
2. 2x protected 17500's that I got from AW (see dealer thread for his batteries and chargers...) Same brightness, longer runtime. I have not done tests.
3. 2x AA's. Have not done much on this other than a few minutes here and there.
4. 2x rechargeable AA's. Just a few minutes here and there using these.

Additionally, since I have an E2E, I can run the KL1 head on that, too. On either body, the KL1 is a very good thrower. I have used it hiking, walking the dogs, and camping. The VG3 body is fairly light, so I cannot tell the weight difference all that much.

Bottom line: KL1 is one of the very best Surefire products that you can get. Check out Lighthound (www.lighthound.com) for his products, in case you have not already heard of him or have dealt with him. As for your question about what generation, I am not knowledgeable about that, except that I understand that the one that I have (for about a month now...) is the latest generation.

I say get your KL1 now!

Best regards!

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all, but I also heard some people saying only the old style KL1 can be driven in 9V and not the lastest gen one. So now I need to ask again: is the latest gen KL1 really compatible with 9V? Thanks.

zehnmm

Enlightened
The 2nd Generation KL1 runs up to 9V. I have run it in my VG3 with 3x123's.

The ability to run up to 9V is one of the reasons why the KL1 is such a versatile performer.

Note that the KL4 runs to 6V.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
yazkaz said:
Also, how can I tell if the KL1 is gen 4? I know the KL1 has undergone just one change so how come there's a gen 4? Kindly advise.

Gen 1: Smooth bezel, low dome Luxeon I, NX-05 optic.
Sean's Flashlight site has a picture. It's on the top light in the third picture from the top in this link. http://members.aol.com/qn9513/myhomepage/flashlighte2e.html

Gen 2: Scalloped bezel, low dome Luxeon I, NX-05 optic. The beam is the same as gen. 1. The difference is that you can see if you left your light on when you set it bezel down on a hard surface.

Gen 3: The same as gen 2 except it has a high dome Luxeon I which changes the beam from the round hot spot of gen 1 & gen 2 to a round hot spot surrounded by a square slightly less hotspot surrounded by normal spill light.

Gen 4: This is the current version as seen on Surefire's web site. It doesn't have the fins of the earlier versions. It is a Luxeon III with a different optic that has a tight beam where the first three gennerations had a much wider beam. As I understand it the gen 4 is driven harder than the earlier KL1's.

Quickbeam has pictures of the Gen 1 compared to a gen 4.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_kl1gen2.htm

All versions of the KL1 have a buck/boost circuit and will work on 1x123, 2x123, 3x123.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Gen 4 has a bright hotspot but very little spill light. When walking I prefer lights with broader beams/spill. Because of that In fact I prefer the 1st gen KL1 even with its too-purple tint and lowly NX05 optic for general use.

For spotlighting an object or location the Gen 4 is excellent.

Brightnorm

mykall

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
Kicking around the idea of picking one up for my E2e myself. I hear its a real thrower.

It is a thrower. I have the El1 and with 1X123 at about 2 meters it's
hotspot is juuuuust about as bright as Pro-Poly Lux but is about 5-6
times the size.

MB