• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SMJLED PR Bulbs In Stock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monolith

Enlightened
Beamshots:

IMG_0455.jpg

unclearty

Enlightened
The more I read about these, the more I think there would be a big need for both 3 and 4 cell versions of this bulb. Imagine one of these in the little 4 AA lanterns...or a real long running drop in for a Tec40.
I'm just waiting for money to transfer into my PayPal account!

Fixer

Newly Enlightened
Any chance you'd consider a 7 cell bulb? I have a Cold Steel Brute 7 AA cell light that takes an incandescent 10.5v flanged bulb which I have not been able to find it. With a 4 cell I could always insert 3 dummy cells I suppose.

Yooper

Enlightened
Fixer said:
Any chance you'd consider a 7 cell bulb? I have a Cold Steel Brute 7 AA cell light that takes an incandescent 10.5v flanged bulb which I have not been able to find it. With a 4 cell I could always insert 3 dummy cells I suppose.

Use a Pelican Big D 3854 bulb, probablly the 11W "low output" bulb would be appropriate. Way way WAY brighter than the SMJLED, but of course not very long running...

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Monolith said:
Beamshots:

IMG_0455.jpg

Running the SMJLED PR in a plastic 2D like the Garrity is interesting if you use 2 lith AAs in adapters. The whole thing feels weightless like there are no batteries inside.

Fixer

Newly Enlightened
Yooper thanks for the suggestion of the Pelican bulbs, I will try them. The thing is this light is meant to be a club as well as a light and I think an LED would survive better then an incandescent if I had to use it as a club.

PhotonAddict

Enlightened
Just received mine today. Very nice. Tried it in a 2D Maglite - overall output seems to be less than the stock bulb (to my eye) but still very bright especially for something that is only drawing ~140mA from the batteries as compared to the stock bulb which draws almost 800mA. The beam is also smoother and whiter than the original bulb which makes it so much more useable.

Thanks for making these available Lambda!

Ikonomi

Enlightened
I put the SMJLEDPR in one of the myriad yellow-and-black 2D industrial flashlights we have around here, and I was initially disappointed by the output -- much less than a River Rock 2AAA, a River Rock headlamp, or an SMJLED-modded Minimag. Until I removed that spring-loaded bulb retainer thing. Maybe someone can tell me what that's for. To make sure the flashlight cuts off if the bulb breaks?

Anyway, the thing was obscuring probably 50% of the light from the SMJLED. Now, this flashlight is worth using. The stock form gives the most pitiful, yellow, splotchy, horrible beam of any light I have ever seen. Very, very tiny spot, and a dim, ringy, holey spill.

With the SMJLEDPR, the spot is a good deal larger (and a bit dimmer), but the spill is phenomenal. It's wide and bright enough to comfortably light up a room, and it makes walking in the dark the easiest thing in the world. The beam is amazingly smooth and nearly free of artifacts.

We seem to have two versions of this industrial light around: One has a smooth reflector, and one has an ever-so-slightly textured one. I put the SMJLED in a textured one, and I'm sure this contributes to the beam quality. I'm going to transplant it into a smooth-reflectored model.

All said, awesome upgrade. I can't say enough about how awesome the SMJLEDPR is. This is a light I'd trust in an emergency. I think I'll take it camping, and I have a feeling it will become my most-used light in that application.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

Nice to hear you all like the SMJ PR 2 Bulb. I just measured the output of a 2D Mag that has been running non stop for a week (168 hours) and it measures at 560 Lux at one meter. Still quite useable, but definetly not as bright as a week ago..

I think I've got a good design worked out for the regulator in the PR 'more than two cell' bulb. It should work with any combination of 3 to 10 cells. So some progress there, but more testing to do...

Lambda

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
lambda said:
Hi all,

Nice to hear you all like the SMJ PR 2 Bulb. I just measured the output of a 2D Mag that has been running non stop for a week (168 hours) and it measures at 560 Lux at one meter. Still quite useable, but definetly not as bright as a week ago..

I think I've got a good design worked out for the regulator in the PR 'more than two cell' bulb. It should work with any combination of 3 to 10 cells. So some progress there, but more testing to do...

Lambda

How much current will be reaching the led in that one?

randyo

Enlightened
Ikonomi - you are correct. That is a spring loaded disconnect designed to instantly remove power from the bulb from the batteries in the even the bulb breaks. It's used for hazardous environments (mines, gas, or any other location where an unexpected flame could cause an explosion). Since LED bulbs don't break or shatter when dropped, the spring is no longer useful. I left mine in place, and it doesn't seem to be causing that much of a problem. I smoothed the beam on all of my 2D lights using the translucent screen protector material normally used on PDA screens. It cleans up a 2D mag beam nicely.

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
lambda said:
Hi all,
Lambda

Oh my, thats quite a spread. What kind of efficiency are we talking about here, 4.5 Volts to 15(!) volts is quite variable. I'm no electronics engineer but is it more effecient to make regualtors work for a 'set' voltage? (or can the circuit be pre-tuned to match)

Does having more batteries allow for each cell to be drained more?

A triple SMJ 6 volt PR bulb would really rock for plastic lanterns/ 4AA 'floating' flashlights.

Monolith

Enlightened
:paypal: for ten (10) SMJLED PR base bulbs and one (1) Minimag 2AAA (triple A) SMJLED kit.

I found these also work very well in the Coleman tent lights ($10 at Target) which I use for emergency underhood lights (they have a magnetic base).

B0009PUPU6.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old Petzl headlamps used a screw in bulb if you decide to do a screw base, only the Micro was 3v though.

Last edited:

randyo

Enlightened
Another candidate for a cheap all purpose tool box / fishing tackle / camping / kiddie / anywhere long-running light-weight LED light.
I found it at Alberstons for $4.49. Eveready Waterproof 2AA "Floating Flashlight". Package adverstisement states "Lifetime Push Button Switch".
"Lifetime Guarantee (excludes bulb)". "Durable Shatterproof Lens". "Chemical Resistant Case". "Bright Krypton Bulb" (not any more). "Woven Wrist Lanyard". I put in the new SMJLed PR2 bulb and a couple of Eveready Lithium batteries and fired it up. Typical hot-spot dominant beam but enough spill to get the job done. With Lithium batteries installed the thing is practically a feather. Model number on package is WP220WB-S.
One interesting finding - with fresh Lithiums installed, it occasionally steps the output down just a fraction - sort of an initial bright level for perhaps a fraction of a second then it kicks it down a wee bit to the next level.
This has never happened with Alkalines. ??? Regulator kicking in??

Oh - you wanted some pics???

eveready-wp.jpg

reflector.jpg

interior.jpg

You'll notice on this photo that the design of the SMJLed PR2 bulb does not allow the bulb holder to screw in fully. It doesn't affect the operation at all. There's enough thread engagement to hold everything together.
(Sorry for the cluttered background in this photo)

head.jpg

harryballs

Newly Enlightened
:paypal: 1 Each SMJLED-$5.50
1 Each IMS SO20XA Refector-$2.50
1 Each Super Cear Mineral Glass Front Lens-$2.50
1 Each SMJLED Flange Base PR Bulb-$10.00

Status
Not open for further replies.