Introducing "Draco" - - - PART 2

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dr_Joe said:
Jonathan,

I saw a column for Tritium installation on your order spreadsheet, but can't find a price anywhere. I would love to have one. How much should I send you ?

OK, now a really stupid question. I was studying the V1 and V2 FluPic instruction diagrams and see that there are some new lines / pathways / arrows etc...., but I'm not really grasping an operating difference other than the return to burst after 3 seconds of the 4th "on". Am I missing something ?

Well, Jonathan already said it, but if he didn't make it clear enough: V1, it'll always return to the first setting after being off for a while (not sure exactly how long...few seconds). V2, it'll return to which ever mode was being previously used. So, if it was on low when you turned it off, it'll be on low the next time you use it. (versus coming back on at setting 1, high)

crewcabrob

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Does anyone have a picture of the Tritium installed on a Draco? Does anyone use the longer battery tube?

I read in one post on the Draco, that it was clocked at 160 lumens? Was that just a prototype?

Thanks,

Rob

crewcabrob

Newly Enlightened
Never mind on the 160 lumens, I got a great explination on it as I have gone back and read all the Draco threads. (I think most of them twice) :laughing:

I would still love to see the Trit on one of the Dracos. Any takers on that option?

I envy you lucky guys that have them already!

Any word on the "secret sauce"?

Last edited:

sideman7

Newly Enlightened
I posted this photo on the other thread, but here it is since you asked for it:
DracoTail.jpg

sideman7

Newly Enlightened
I've got a few beam shots I'll post here as well...

HDS U60XRGT, original U-bin Raw, Cree Draco, Seoul Exolion
Lineup.jpg

The Raw used to be the light I compared others to, but it is no longer the brightest with the advent of better LEDs... (although it's still bright)

HDS U60XRGT (at max):
HDSOutside.jpg

U-bin Raw:
RawOutside.jpg

Draco:
DracoOutside.jpg

Seoul Exolion:
ExolionOutside.jpg

All photos were taken at ISO 100, f/5.0, 8"

The Draco may not quite be the brightest here, but as someone else said, it's hard not to laugh when it's turned on at full brightness. It's so freakin' small and there is A LOT of light coming out of it. I'm not crazy about the color of the Cree LED (sort of pinkish), but it's not too bad. I may be in for a new head if you do them with a Seoul....

crewcabrob

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Thank you for the pictures of the Trit and the added bonus of the beam comparo. Wow! That is a lot of light for such a small package!

I will have to see if the trit slot is on mine when it shows up. I may have to order it.

Thanks,

Rob

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Draco may not quite be the brightest here, but as someone else said, it's hard not to laugh when it's turned on at full brightness. It's so freakin' small and there is A LOT of light coming out of it. I'm not crazy about the color of the Cree LED (sort of pinkish), but it's not too bad.

agree with everything said above. thanks for the pics and impressions.

My impressions:

I LOVE mine so far, only wish I could justify a coated TI version.
The Tritium placement looks great, especially with Bart's bright ones.

In full disclosure:
The beam is beautiful, with the pinkish tint the ONLY problem. There was a tiny chip in the chrome beside the keyring hole(opposite side of pic). Not a big deal as this IS chrome plated aluminum, but it makes me slightly concerned how it will hold up to full on keychain use. Anyone with pics of an aluminum that has been used hard would be very appreciated. The only other concern is that I have to twist it a little harder than i would expect to get it to make contact sometimes(i did progold the contacts as well without much difference). These concerns arent much, just want to be completely honest here.

It really boils down to if your budget allows one, you want to handle unprotected li-ion cells, and you like super-cool small lights. If the answer is yes to all three then its time to place an order. This really is a revolution in keychain/necklace lighting.

:goodjob: Modamag!!!!!!!

100_6205.jpg

Last edited:

crewcabrob

Newly Enlightened
What a great picture of your chome beauty! That Trit shows very nice, even in that lighting.

I can't wait to get mine! Now I just have to find a way to keep the wife from seeing it. She waon't want it, but she will want to know how much and why I needed another light. :sssh:

Rob

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
crewcabrob said:
What a great picture of your chome beauty! That Trit shows very nice, even in that lighting.
Rob

thanks guys. full disclosure, it is a 6 second exposure in very low light. the draco is on low as well. even Bart's trits arent that bright:)

As far as the pinkish beam, it is not severe at all. I prefer a neutral or slightly yellow if I have my choice. I also work with color balance all day at work, so I am more picky than most. When your job requires you to correct color balance, it's hard to turn it off sometimes.

BTW waveparticle, I saw the lacie monitor in the background of your pic in your draco review. Do you do graphics work? or just like nice equipment of all kinds? :naughty:

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh shoot! I'm in trouble now.

There are at least 4 known Professional photographers who owns a Draco. All of whom got great macro gears and Spider calibrated monitors and use Photoshop/Lightroom like a commoner use MS-Words. :aaa: And here I'm facing Cree lottery (worse than Luxeon). :hairpull: :help:

All I have as a weapon is ... FluPIC and 160 lumens out the front to blind them :duck: while they take their shot. :nana:

Pumaman: Great boken! & incredible trit shot. :twothumbs
As for the color tint, you should carefully observe the difference btw the low and high.

Last edited:

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm BUSTED!!

I'm a photo pro who deals with color in a way most folks never imagine.

Took the draco and a couple other lights in the dark and the draco on user level 1-4 IS a very neutral tint(to my sensitive eyes). Also, arguing over these small color differences in an amazing flashlight is super picky. most flashaholics(much less the unenlightened) will see it as a really nice neutral/warm tint(if they ever get over the crazy brightness ). NOTHING like what we had to accept for white tints 1-2 years ago.

BTW, The more I use my Draco, the more I like it. the biggest question is finding the best way to carry it.

I also want to let you in on the pic. it was taken with a simple $200 Kodak easyshare V550 point-and-shoot digital, and a minipod. Photoshop was used only to crop and color balance. light was ambient. GREAT camera for the price. I have access to more expensive and complex equipment, but it does a great job while simple and very small.

Couple of questions i may have missed in the thread: do you have the extended bodies in stock, or pocket bodies, both chrome? tritium in the extended body? lanyard attachment as well? also could the the li-ion AAA run on burst any longer safely? Please incorporate the trit in all future versions, as i hope a coated TI one will be in my future:)

Cheers to Modamag and his Draco!

Last edited:

sideman7

Newly Enlightened
Pumaman said:
thanks guys. full disclosure, it is a 6 second exposure in very low light. the draco is on low as well. even Bart's trits arent that bright:)

That is a cool photo... Damn, I need a macro lens...

I had to do a 132 second exposure on the dark one I posted to get it all in focus...

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
modamag said:
All I have as a weapon is ... FluPIC and 160 lumens out the front...

...and your secret sauce, whatever that is:sssh:

crewcabrob

Newly Enlightened
Pumaman said:
also could the the li-ion AAA run on burst any longer safely?
Cheers to Modamag and his Draco!

Hello Jonathan,

I'm curious about this too. I really love the light, and I'm entoxicated by the burst mode. Do you think the torch can handle burst mode with the larger cell and extender installed?

I plan on ordering the battery tube extender and a couple of batteries. I don't think the extra length will bother me one bit.

I know all of the Cree based Dracos are P4s, when the Q3s are out, I would love to upgrade. By then, we may be looking at newer emitters anyway. I love that you are here to support us on these little gems.

This thing is awesome! I can't seem to put the thing down. I have went through both of my cells 3 times since getting it yesterday.

Great work!

Rob

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding the operation of burst mode for extended period of time with AAA Li-Ion.
You can as long as you used it as designed, holding the light with your hand to induce the liquid (blood) cooling affect then there should be no problem. If you're out skiing the outside temperature gradient is more than enough to keep it cool.

However, if you're in Arizona when the outside temp is 100F/38C I would not recommend you keep it on burst while sitting on top of your car. In such situation level 5|6 is much more appropriate.

This is a general rule of thumb that would apply to any light regardless of their size/batteries.

Secur1: v1.1 battery tube (with tritium slot) are now available, please check the Payment thread.

crewcabrob: Wow! going thru 2x cell 3x (effectively 6x cells) within a day, which is ~ 4-5 hrs of use. You really got to put that toy down otherwise I'll start getting flame mail your Misses.