White LED lumen testing

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I added 2 samples (ISP 2-die 22,000 mcd 25° 5mm white, LCK 55,000 mcd 15° 5mm white) sent to me by CPF member TMorita to the list in the first post and updated the graphs accordingly. You might need to refresh your browser to see the updated graphs. The relevant spreadsheets were added to the .zip file linked to in the first post of this thread.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I added the Jeled 55,000 mcd 15° 5mm whites sent to me by CPF member Minjin to the list in the first post and updated the graphs accordingly. You might need to refresh your browser to see the updated graphs. The relevant spreadsheets were added to the .zip file linked to in the first post of this thread.

TMorita

Enlightened
One note:

The ISP 22ks are actually rated for 100ma AFAIK. They are not the 40ma ones on the website. I had to special order them.

The 40ma ones on the ISP website are dual-die:

http://www.powerleds.com/

However, if you look at the ISP 22K LEDs, you'll see there is only a two bond wires visible - one from the cathode, one from the anode. So it appears to be a single large die, and not two small dies.

Toshi

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
TMorita said:
One note:

The ISP 22ks are actually rated for 100ma AFAIK. They are not the 40ma ones on the website. I had to special order them.

The 40ma ones on the ISP website are dual-die:

http://www.powerleds.com/

However, if you look at the ISP 22K LEDs, you'll see there is only a two bond wires visible - one from the cathode, one from the anode. So it appears to be a single large die, and not two small dies.

Toshi
Thanks again, I corrected the write-up to match the new info you gave me. :thumbsup:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I added 3 samples ( Hebei 520MW7C 20° 5mm white, Hebei 530MW7C 30° 5mm white, Hebei 550MW7C 50° 5mm white ) sent to me by CPF member LEDude to the list in the first post and updated the graphs accordingly. You might need to refresh your browser to see the updated graphs. The relevant spreadsheets were added to the .zip file linked to in the first post of this thread.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Lumileds Rebel White LXML-PWC1-0100 (acquired July 2007)

Note: Earlier results multiplied by correction factor of 1.116 and post edited accordingly (See post #138 for explanation).

I purchased a pair of these from Future Electronics for evaluation. I only tested one of the two samples. Color bin was not specified, but these are similar in color to the WH Crees, so I'd guess that they are V0s. I soldered the Rebel to a small length of brass bar with two holes drilled in the ends. I screwed the bar to my heat sinked power LED test jig with some thermal grease at the interface for better heat transfer. Beam angle measured 100.1°, a bit narrower than Luxeon IIIs, and the beam pattern is close to, but not exactly, lambertian. In the course of testing I learned how important it is to keep the lens of these LEDs clean. My initial test results gave roughly 91 lumens at 350 mA. I tried cleaning the lens with alcohol and then rerunning the tests. The final results were 96.7 lumens at 350 mA, but I later determined that I needed to apply the correction factor for my light meter. This revised the results to 107.9 lumens which is within spec. At 700 mA the Rebel put out 183.1 lumens, just about dead on the specified 180 lumens. Output continued to increase with current, reaching over 290 lumens at 1500 mA, which is as high as my current source goes. Moreover, the output curve wasn't entirely flattened out, even at 1500 mA. I would guess that output would continue to increase to 2 amps, albeit not very much over the output at 1.5 amps. Vf was extremely low and didn't rise very fast with current. It was 3.14V at 350 mA but only 3.43V at 1500 mA. Efficiency at 350 mA was 98.2 lm/W, a new record for power LEDs, and tantalizingly close to the magic 100 lm/W. Interestingly, with the apparent stagnation in small LED efficiency since early 2006, power LEDs are now actually more efficient than indicator-type LEDs. Moreover, efficiency at 1000 mA, the maximum specified operating current, was still a very decent 69.4 lm/W, about on par with CFLs, and stayed above 56 lm/W even at 1500 mA. Maximum efficiency was reached at 20 mA, and it was an incredible 150.7 lm/W. This translates into a conversion efficiency of over 45%. Efficiency remained above 100 lm/W until around 325 mA. Overall the Rebels have broken all previous records, but I suspect their time on top will be short-lived as I have yet to acquire the Cree XR-E Q5s for testing.

Original post:

I purchased a pair of these from Future Electronics for evaluation. I only tested one of the two samples. Color bin was not specified, but these are similar in color to the WH Crees, so I'd guess that they are V0s. I soldered the Rebel to a small length of brass bar with two holes drilled in the ends. I screwed the bar to my heat sinked power LED test jig with some thermal grease at the interface for better heat transfer. Beam angle measured 100.1°, a bit narrower than Luxeon IIIs, and the beam pattern is close to, but not exactly, lambertian. In the course of testing I learned how important it is to keep the lens of these LEDs clean. My initial test results gave roughly 91 lumens at 350 mA. I tried cleaning the lens with alcohol and then rerunning the tests. The final results were 96.7 lumens at 350 mA. Since this is less than Lumiled's tolerance for lumen measurement this is still within spec. More importantly, at 700 mA the Rebel put out 179.63 lumens, just about dead on the specified 180 lumens. Output continued to increase with current, reaching over 260 lumens at 1500 mA, which is as high as my current source goes. Moreover, the output curve wasn't entirely flattened out, even at 1500 mA. I would guess that output would continue to increase to 2 amps, albeit not very much over the output at 1.5 amps. Vf was extremely low and didn't rise very fast with current. It was 3.14V at 350 mA but only 3.43V at 1500 mA. Efficiency at 350 mA was 88.0 lm/W, a new record for power LEDs. Interestingly, with the apparent stagnation in small LED efficiency since early 2006, power LEDs are now actually more efficient than indicator-type LEDs. Moreover, efficiency at 1000 mA, the maximum specified operating current, was still a very decent 62.2 lm/W, about on par with CFLs, and stayed above 50 lm/W even at 1500 mA. Maximum efficiency was reached at 20 mA, and it was an incredible 135 lm/W. This translates into a conversion efficiency of over 40%. Efficiency remained above 100 lm/W until 200 mA. Overall the Rebels have broken all previous records, but I suspect their time on top will be short-lived as I have yet to acquire the Cree XR-E Q5s for testing.

Lumileds_Rebel_White_100.gif

Lumileds_Rebel_White_100_lumens.gif

Lumileds_Rebel_White_100_Beam_Angle.gif

Last edited:

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! This is awesome work you are doing jtr1962!

Can you recommend a 5mm LED to upgrade my eternaLights with? My last mod replaced the originals with the 25kmcd's.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! This is awesome work you are doing jtr1962!

Can you recommend a 5mm LED to upgrade my eternaLights with? My last mod replaced the originals with the 25kmcd's.

I put the 20x40k's in mine when I order the blaster kit from EternaLight.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good results on the Rebel! However I think the Q5 will beat it. Waiting for that test... :)

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi jtr1962,

It seems that every 5mm LED has a peak lm/W at a round 4-5 mA-ish.

Is this peak the optimum current to run 5mm LEDs at?

For example, I have a 128-LED shower head torch that drives each LED at 4mA. It works very, very well.

But although this seems to be the optimum for power consumption, will it also maximise LED life?

Any thoughts?

(I am thinking of low-power solar lighting, etc.)

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Hi jtr1962,

It seems that every 5mm LED has a peak lm/W at a round 4-5 mA-ish.

Is this peak the optimum current to run 5mm LEDs at?
For any LED the lower the current the longer the lifetime. Lifetime is probably maximized by running at 1 mA but of course you end up needing a lot more LEDs. 5 to 10 mA seems to be a good balance between lifetime, efficiency, and cost. Also, the majority of 5mm LEDs seem to have their best efficiency around 4 or 5 mA, but there are a few which do a little better as low as 1 mA.

I made some LED train lights recently which run the LEDs at 10 mA. This combined with wide PC board traces to dissipate the heat should result in reasonable lifetime (hopefully 10,000 to 20,000 hours) before noticeable dimming occurs. This is more than sufficient in this application. You may be able to get a few hundred thousand hours by dropping down to 1 mA. However, for most applications this is overkill. Remember that at 6 hours a night a 100,000 hour lifetime equates to nearly 46 years. The item being lit will most likely either be obsolete or lost or broken long before then.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I changed my setup somewhat immediately before the tests of the Rebel 100 and the Hebei LEDs. I set up a series of baffles and totally enclosed them to block out any ambient light:

LED_Tester_Modification_1.jpg

I even put a removeable cover to block ambient light near the light meter:

LED_Tester_Modification_2.jpg

LED_Tester_Modification_3.jpg

The purpose of these modifications was to eliminate guestimating the background light which needed to be subtracted from the light meter reading. For 5mm LEDs this was at most about 0.5 lux, but for power LEDs it was considerably more. Prior to this, I would block out the direct portion of the beam with a piece of cardboard, note the reading, then subtract it from the unblocked reading. This method always bothered me because it introduced another variable. While the background reading was fairly steady, it did vary enough depending upon the placement of the cardboard to cause concern. Hence my use of the term guestimating at the start of this paragraph. The modified setup introduces consistency. When I block off the small hole where light enters from the LED, the reading is at most 0.1 lux, even in a undarkened room. I still do my testing in a darkened room, but with the new setup I don't have to!

Now this is all good and well except that when I tested the Rebel 100 I was getting somewhat less than the minimum of 100 lumens (96.7 lumens @ 350 mA to be exact). However, according to the results of the CPF light meter testing which I had participated in my light meter was reading low for white LED light. The correction factor was 1.116. I applied the correction factor to my Rebel 100 results in post #127 and the numbers are more in line with what I should have gotten.

The only question remaining was whether or not I could reliably compare my earlier results with my new ones. To answer this question I decided to retest the P4 bin Cree XR-E which I had tested last November. The original results were 85.67 lumens at 350 mA. The uncorrected results using the modified tester were 80.24 lumens at the same 350 mA. This was about 6.4% low. The corrected result was 89.55 lumens, within 4.5% of my original results. I also ended up with a somewhat narrower beam angle (new results in red, old in blue):

Cree_7090_XR-E_bin_P4_Retest_Beam_A.gif

It seems then that although I did not apply any correction factors to my earlier results the inherent methodology resulted in slightly wider beam angles which more or less compensated for the lower absolute lux readings. Remember that all of my earlier power LED test results pretty much fell within the ballpark of where they were supposed to for a given bin. The only problem is that LEDs obviously come in different tints, and I suspect I would need different correction factors depending upon the tint. Based on the fact that my light meter was nearly dead-on with incandescent light, the correction factor would increase with increasing color temperature. However, since guestimating correction factors would make this testing more art than science, I'll stick to using the official correction factor of 1.116. The fact that my corrected result for the P4 Cree is a little high probably has to do with that LED being a warmer (WH) tint bin.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Cree 7090 XR-E Warm White bin P4 (acquired September 2007)

I ordered some Q5 Cree XR-Es from CPF member Erasmus. Along with the Q5s Erasmus sent me a Cree XR-E warm white bin P4 for testing. The P4 bin is specified at 80.6 to 87.4 lumens at 350 mA. The color temperature looked like roughly 3300K, so I would say the tint bin was 7A. Since the color temperature was in the incandescent range, I didn't need to apply a correction factor. The output of 83.0 lumens at 350 mA is solidly within the P4 flux bin.

Results are shown below:

Cree_7090_XR-E_Warm_White_bin_P4_Be.gif

Cree_7090_XR-E_Warm_White_bin_P4.gif

Cree_7090_XR-E_Warm_White_bin_P4_lu.gif

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtr1962, great work. many thanks.

just wondering why the Vf is on higher side in warm Cree XR-E P4's...