Surefire Backup

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire Backup has landed!!!!!

Cool Bill! Lets see some outside beam shots! I live at Shaker Square, not the best location to go shining lights and flashing cameras at night:eek:...We need to convince Greg to use a little of that shop to make a Flashlight Testing Chamber, with light rests, a fog machine, integrating sphere, various light meters, a machine that goes bing.....

Not too shabby, those lights arrived yesterday, dosen't look like they will last a day! This is going to be a VERY popular light I do believe!

Yea, He needs a Long dark room. Not that little 6X6 room all the way in the back of the store. Mike from Painesville was there about an hour after me. He picked one up also. Must be why there out of stock now. I left my receipt there and when I called Greg to see if I left it on his desk he said Mike just left. We should be hearing from him and getting his report pretty soon.

Bill

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yea, He needs a Long dark room. Not that little 6X6 room all the way in the back of the store. Mike from Painesville was there about an hour after me. He picked one up also. Must be why there out of stock now. I left my receipt there and when I called Greg to see if I left it on his desk he said Mike just left. We should be hearing from him and getting his report pretty soon.

Bill

Already posted :) It kinda looks like SF hit a home run with this little guy!

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmm, so alien technology is an RFID tag/reader maker. So I'd imagine there is one located somewhere in the packaging, or in the light itself. Anyone found one in the packaging yet? It may actually be on the backside of the alientech sticker.

I'm guessing that this means either surefire is using the tags for inventory, and can now scan an area of the warehouse for a particular box of lights (genius usage), or its embedded in the light, and would possibly get scanned when it's attempted to be exported illegally? My money is on inventory.

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk

The tag is in the pkg -- right under the alien label. :) Here is a big, big version of the pic.

- Chris

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know you guys have been waiting for more beam shots. Here are a few I took real quick. The camera was in manual mode to stop down the exposure so you can see the difference in brightness. 1/200 sec 3.8f.
Distance on all shots was approx 18 feet.

E1B is on the right in all three photo's.

Nitecore on 14500 vs E1B

e1bvsnitecoreul2.jpg

Nautilus vs E1B

e1bvsnautilusnt8.jpg

P2D Q5 on Turbo (180 Lumens ) vs E1B

e1bvsp2dq5dk3.jpg

As you can see the E1B appears brigher than any of these lights. I can't wait until dark so I can do some more testing.

Bill

USM0083

Enlightened

Any chance of an E2B running on a pair of -123s?

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

Physical size comparison between the E1B Backup and the TW4 Milky Speedster (E1e + KL4):

Last edited:

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened

anyone do a ceiling bounce to see which is brighter? P2D-CE is a pretty bright light. Spill I think would be brighter on the P2D-CE. I can't wait to get mine. :naughty:

mspeterson

Enlightened

just posted more beamshots in the reviews section if anybody is interested....

mspeterson

Enlightened

anyone do a ceiling bounce to see which is brighter? P2D-CE is a pretty bright light. Spill I think would be brighter on the P2D-CE. I can't wait to get mine. :naughty:

Most reflector equipped lights that I have compared to the Backup have a brighter spill. This is evident at close distances. Get at around 20' or more and a funny thing happens. The spill from the reflectored lights isn't quite as useful and the hotspot quite spread out and lacking in intensity. This is where the backup shines!!!

For up close work, I'm liking the F04 on the Backup.:thumbsup:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Most reflector equipped lights that I have compared to the Backup have a brighter spill. This is evident at close distances. Get at around 20' or more and a funny thing happens. The spill from the reflectored lights isn't quite as useful and the hotspot quite spread out and lacking in intensity. This is where the backup shines!!!

For up close work, I'm liking the F04 on the Backup.:thumbsup:

Your right. My Nitecore and my P2D-Q5 ( Your also right Wade ) have a brighter and larger spill than the E1B. The Hot spot is noticably brighter on the E1B. I just walked outside ( It's dark now) and the E1B out throws the P2D-Q5 by a wide margin. The brighter spill of the P2D and DI was not as evident during the daytime. I don't have a light meter and a light box so I can't say for sure which has a total brighter output. It's like Wade said it depends on what you want. The E1B definitely throws better even if it is not as totaly bright as the P2D. I like both beam patterns.

Bill

Kiessling

Flashaholic

THis is the point I am trying to bring across about those new SF optics for some time now. They have a medium sized hotspot that has a perfect area coverage in th emedium field and uses the photons very efficiently. The beam spread is fantastic, and my L1 almost destroys my U2, which says something.
Most reflectored lights waste their spill as it is too wide. There are only a few out there that bring spill further out, all the rest will need way more lumens as the E1B to achieve the same results outside when looking at medium distances.
This new optic is a blast. And I usually do not like optics. But in no way will this one b eexchanged for a reflector.
bernie

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast

THis is the point I am trying to bring across about those new SF optics for some time now. They have a medium sized hotspot that has a perfect area coverage in th emedium field and uses the photons very efficiently. The beam spread is fantastic, and my L1 almost destroys my U2, which says something.
Most reflectored lights waste their spill as it is too wide. There are only a few out there that bring spill further out, all the rest will need way more lumens as the E1B to achieve the same results outside when looking at medium distances.
This new optic is a blast. And I usually do not like optics. But in no way will this one b eexchanged for a reflector.
bernie

Bernie this is my first optics light. I had read (sometime ago ) that they just were not that good so I stayed away from them. The beam on any light is subjective, to say the least, according to the user. But, I for one love the beam of this light. I am very pleasantly surprised and would buy another Surefire optics light now without hesitation. I can't find a fault in this light. The only thing for me would be a tighter clip.

Bill

Kiessling

Flashaholic

It sure ain't pretty compared to a good reflector. But it performs. :)

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

This light sure feels slippery, huh? Those of you that have one, doesn't it feel so different from other Surefires? I'm still getting used to it...but I do have to say that the clip is wonderful! I carry my light inside my jeans front pocket, bezel down.

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast

Has anyone even tried to see if an RCR123 cell will fit in the backup????? Also, any ideas on how to attach a lanyard?? I am pretty bummed because I ordered mine yesterday from Battery Junction and opted for the free UPS ground shipping. Problem is transit time to Houston is 5 business days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guess I should have shelled out the extra bucks for expedited shipping.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

Has anyone even tried to see if an RCR123 cell will fit in the backup????? Also, any ideas on how to attach a lanyard?? I am pretty bummed because I ordered mine yesterday from Battery Junction and opted for the free UPS ground shipping. Problem is transit time to Houston is 5 business days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guess I should have shelled out the extra bucks for expedited shipping.

Yes, my AW RCR123 fits fine in the E1B. The only problem is that it sort of gets a little confused due to the higher voltage. When I use the RCR123, I click the light on and it's really bright, but then adjusts right away to the normal level. Same thing happens when I put it in the low mode. Then when you leave it on, it isn't an on/off flicker, but like a extra high/high flicker...alternating back and forth. That would get pretty annoying, I think.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Has anyone even tried to see if an RCR123 cell will fit in the backup?????

I don't have any R123 batteries but if there bigger I highly question if they would fit. The battery tube is independent of the battery spring tensioner just like my E2e. The head of the E1B must come off to change the battery.

Bill