Has anyone modded a Tikka Plus?

Cemoi

Enlightened
After successfully modding a Tikka with Nichia GS LEDs, I would like to do the same on a Tikka Plus.
It is the multimode model (high->med->low->blinking), operated with a clicky switch.
I'm afraid it won't be as easy to modify as the basic Tikka, on which I only had to swap LEDs and change the resistor value.
I have not taken the Tikka Plus apart yet (I don't have it here with me) but I'm afraid there is an IC with different (maybe SMD) resistors, so I'm not sure simply swapping the LEDs will do, because of the difference in Vf between the original LEDs and the Nichias.
Any feedback on such a mod would be appreciated, thanks.

Ogg Vorbis

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

I've done the mentioned mod, it was tricky to get into and then to put back due to the snap in parts, but none the less it is do-able. I didn't change any resistors or anything...

However, since i did it, i havn't really used it all that much... :whistle: but it's much brighter :D

Heck have a go!

Dan

r-ice

Newly Enlightened
make sure to post some pics up! and where would one go about getting some of these nicha leds. I do have a tikka plus and would love to give this a go!

TGr

Newly Enlightened
Modding with Nichia is reasonable for Tikka plus model before 2006.
Tikka plus 2006 has 26K.

Swapped original 14K mcd with generic/unknown 40K mcd leds.
After first swap one of middle led start flickering after some 4 hours of usage. Then die.

I was not shure if reason is low quality of leds so i replace dead led with new one.
Again - after some 8 hours of total usage middle pair of leds start flickering.

Procedure and beamshot here:

http://84.255.207.31/v/uporabniki/Tomo/album2202/

(and yes, i have Nichia ready and now i am waiting for someone with better results then mine)

Cemoi

Enlightened
but it's much brighter

Have you measured the current draw before/after the mod?

where would one go about getting some of these nicha leds.

If you are in the European Union, you can get ten Nichia GS for ten euros, including shipment, from here.

Modding with Nichia is reasonable for Tikka plus model before 2006.
Tikka plus 2006 has 26K.
Nichia GS are 44cd, so they should be a worthwhile upgrade over 26cd.

after some 8 hours of total usage middle pair of leds start flickering.
According to your pics of the circuit, the LEDs are connected in parallel, so a significant difference in Vf between the LEDs could explain this behaviour. Did you try and match the LED Vf before using them?

TGr

Newly Enlightened
Yes, i believe there is difference - the replacement leds was matched, but i didn't measure originals. And now is to late - i lost them.
So some good preparation is obviusly necesary before replacing leds :(

Ok, its heavy offtopic but one of reasons i love tikka+, one night in december me and my friend make night crossing, half of country and light source was only moon and tikka+
http://84.255.207.31/v/uporabniki/Tomo/album956/album157/

Last edited:

Ogg Vorbis

Newly Enlightened
Have you measured the current draw before/after the mod?

I assume you mean current draw from the battery end?

I'm guessing it would be the same, the driver board hasn't been altered so the LED's are getting the same amount of current, but they produce more light for the given current.

I got my nichia from some DX fautons btw...

Cemoi

Enlightened
I'm guessing it would be the same, the driver board hasn't been altered so the LED's are getting the same amount of current

This is not true, because of the difference in Vf between the original and new LEDs.
I've just completed the LED swap, replacing the four original LEDs with Nichia GS (unknown brightness bin). The resulting beam is much brighter, as can be seen on the following beamshots:
Original LEDs, high:
3860216992_c997cb3ffc.jpg

Original LEDs, medium:
3859430915_dd9deaf474.jpg

Original LEDs, low:
3859431007_5f0044e635.jpg

Nichia GS, high:
3860217336_59a1d80ab1.jpg

Nichia GS, medium:
3860217436_f9e2d2443d.jpg

Nichia GS, low:
3860217566_5a87080032.jpg

All shot were taken @ISO64, 3.5s, f:4.5.

With the new LEDs, the beam color is much warmer and color rendition is better. The new brightness on the medium setting is about the same as the former high setting brightness, but with a much lower current draw from the batteries.
With partly drained NiMH batteries (Vbat around 1.25V which is the beginning of the flat part of my Recyko+ AAA discharge curve), the current draw is (high/med/low):
  • Original LEDs: 100mA / 25mA / 10mA
  • Nichia LEDs: 120mA / 35mA / 15mA
So the current draw is 20 to 50% higher with the new LEDs, but I have now the same approximate brightness @ 35mA as I had @ 100mA.

Using three freshly charged Recyko+ AAA NiMH batteries (total open voltage 4.4V) the total current from the batteries reaches 170mA, so the LEDs are significantly overdriven (more than 40mA each) but they seem to stand such a current quite well as per JohnR66 fade test.

So I do recommend such an upgrade, although my soldering skills were barely sufficient to handle the tricky unsoldering/soldering process (the LED leads need to be soldered and bent at precise length otherwise the LEDs won't fit in the casing).

Leekeyjug

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I've just discoverd this forum while trying to see if I can mod my Tikka plus headtorch.
I am looking to replace the white LEDs with red ones. I have very little experience in this sort of this and haven't actualy had a look inside my tikka to see what needs doing. I've just looked at a site that sells LEDS and it was way over my head. Can anybody please point me in the right direction?

Thank you!

Cemoi

Enlightened
I am looking to replace the white LEDs with red ones.

greenLED is correct, there is too much a difference in Vf between red and white LEDs (even more so as I found the original LEDs to have a higher Vf than the Nichias I used as a replacement). Therefore if you only swap the LEDs the resulting current will probably be way too high for the red LEDs.
You would need to change also the resistor, which is very easy on a Tikka (see this thread), but probably much more difficult on a Tikka Plus which uses SMD resistors and whose circuit is much more complex.
Unless you have the first generation Tikka Plus, with only one mode (on-off sliding switch?)...

Leekeyjug

Newly Enlightened
Oh, no I have a newer tikka plas. :mecry: Well thank you, all you clever people, guess I'll have to get a Tactikka plus then. With its red filter thingy.

joao2004

Newly Enlightened
Also trying to mod my tikka+... But can't tell what my original leds are, they are taking a lot of current... don't know if putting a nichia gs or a 0.5W led (18 lm) will get a improvement...

EDIT: replace by nichia is a great improvement

Last edited:

joao2004

Newly Enlightened
Mod done... replaced the original leds with nichia gs, and the 6R8 resistors with 22R... works fine

tnuckels

Enlightened
Can you explain the necessity of changing the resistor?

I did this mod well over a year ago but, like Ogg_Vorbis, I simply swapped the original LEDs for Nichia GS. I've had no problems with the light. Please tell me it's not going to :poof: on my wife's forehead while we're reading in bed.

joao2004

Newly Enlightened
Can you explain the necessity of changing the resistor?

I did this mod well over a year ago but, like Ogg_Vorbis, I simply swapped the original LEDs for Nichia GS. I've had no problems with the light. Please tell me it's not going to :poof: on my wife's forehead while we're reading in bed.

EDIT: DON'T Change the Resistor... there's no need!!!

The 22R resistor was calculated so that with 1.3v per cell (nimh), the current in each led is ~30mA (nichia gs max continuous value)

Original leds are very overdriven... with 1.5v (fresh alkaline) ~100mA per led!!!

My nichia gs have lower Vf than the original leds, so if i didn't change the resistor they would be even more overdriven than the original leds... don't know how much the nichia can take ...

Unfortunately i didn't take photos with the original leds, so i can't compare the before and the after... but it's giving more light, (maybe not a huge diference), at a lower consumption

I will plot the discharge rate (with my sanyo nimh), don't know if someone has done it with a original tikka+, so i can compare run times!

tikkamod.jpg

Last edited:

Gazoola

Newly Enlightened
The 22R resistor was calculated so that with 1.3v per cell (nimh), the current in each led is ~30mA (nichia gs max continuous value)

Original leds are very overdriven... with 1.5v (fresh alkaline) ~100mA per led!!!

My nichia gs have lower Vf than the original leds, so if i didn't change the resistor they would be even more overdriven than the original leds... don't know how much the nichia can take ...

First I should say that I am a total newb with electronics, I have read extensively in the forum and am getting a grasp of the concepts, but with my dim original Tikka Plus, am somewhat still in the dark :laughing:.

Reading about some of the massive improvements in brightness, I also want to mod my Tikka Plus (the one with 3 levels plus strobe).
But what concerns me is the above mentioning of overdriven Nichia LED's, both the ?original? and the Nichia mod ones, which are rated at 30mA.

Is this correct? "the orginal LED's are overdriven"? Does every one agree with this?
Petzyl surely wouldn't design this way else there would be too many warranty returns. ?

If I wanted to confirm the mA draw of my own original Tikka Plus, I should switch to high mode then measure with a multimeter (set to Amps) in series between the battery negative and the circuit. Then take this number and divide by the 4 LED's - right?

THE NEED TO CHANGE THE RESISTOR AS WELL:
For those who have done the mod - Can you provide feedback on the long term use of the modded Tikka Plus after just changing to Nichia LEDs, not the resistor.

Given that the Tikka Plus is a direct drive, and that different batteries could be used (Alkaline 1.5v, NiMH 1.2V), the voltage and so the mA to the LED will vary greatly. From prior posts to this thread "the total current from the [fresh] batteries reaches 170mA" - well above the 30mA spec.
Does this mean that over driving the LED in a Tikka Plus is unavoidable?
Or that the Vf of the new Nichia LED's did not correctly match to the original ones? If so, how should I properly match new LED's to ensure no over driving?

Some mentioned replacing a resistor. Maybe rather than replacing it, which could be difficult being surface mounted, another could be added in series - Is this plausible? If so, what and where?

With so many questions, I am overwhelming myself!!
With the above in mind....maybe it is better to look at the final goal and work backwards...

BEST SOLUTION?
I wanted to use these Nichia NSPW500GS-K1 LED's, which are If 30mA, Vf 3.2 typical - 3.5 max, rank W: min 31000 mcd - max 44000 mcd
Ideally I would be happy with 50-75% brighter light and some increase in runtime.
If the Nichia NSPW500GS-K1 are not ideal for the Tikka Plus, what are the best LED's to use? Maybe just a different Vf rated one to solve the over driven issue?

joao2004

Newly Enlightened
If I wanted to confirm the mA draw of my own original Tikka Plus, I should switch to high mode then measure with a multimeter (set to Amps) in series between the battery negative and the circuit. Then take this number and divide by the 4 LED's - right?

Yes...

Gazoola

Newly Enlightened

I can't find any other mention of anyone who has changed this resistor.
As you did it some time ago, can you report on how your Tikka Plus is working today?
Was the resistor change difficult and could it be done by a novice with a cheap 30w Weller soldering iron?
Do you have a pic of which resistor was changed?
Thanks

joao2004

Newly Enlightened
Don't change the resistor!!!
I made some measurements this morning, and there's no need to change it... :thinking:

Tikka+ input voltage vs current per led

So starting with 3 fresh Alkaline cells (4,5V) the nichias will drive at 60mA, yes they are over-driven... but that will go down from there, i tested a nichia at 100 mA and it looked ok...

But with NiMH, will have an average of 3,6V... and that will be around 30 mA... just perfect!!! I think i will put back the original resistors!!!

Last edited: