Upcoming Fenix Headlamp: HL20

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
It seem like the lumen rates are kinda right on. Darn bright headlamp. Also it doesn't cut off when the batery is low just gets dim to the lower level. I changed the battery as didn't want to over discharge my NiMH so don't know how long this lasts. The single AA was easy to change in the woods. Anyways the 48 lumen medium does light up the woods more than a medium mode needs. Wish the headband fit me better so I wouldn't have to rob one from an older PT Aurora or use the Nitecore and like others think the UI isn't the best but kinda happy with it just the same. Not too many 1XAA XP-E R2 headlamps with good throw around. Also like the low so thinking this is a win.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just did the runtime test on high. Got 1 hour 43 minutes on a freshly charged Eneloop before it stepped down to medium. The step down to medium was a good indicator to change the battery. This gives a useful warning for changing the batteries without instantly leaving you in the dark. However, I have no intention of ruining a rechargeable to see how long it will stay on at reduced brightness. This isn't that bad of a runtime for a rechargeable as the 1.8 hours advertised for an alkaline is only 5 more minutes. I did the math and this light should yield a runtime on medium with an Eneloop of no less than 3 hours 45 minutes (probably/possibly longer as running the light at a lower level allows the l.e.d. to run more efficiently and there's less resistance from the battery). I'll have to test this thing on medium next on another day.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally have the HL20 in my hands (and on my head). I came back to work this morning, and retrieved my HL20 from the mail box, where it had been sitting all weekend. I had considered making the commute to get the headlamp from the office, but sanity prevailed.
Picture007.jpg

The headlamp was a little smaller than I expected (which is a good thing), and was packed in a plastic shell that is as tough as nails. It was difficult to open even with sharp scissors, but my effort was rewarded with a nifty little headlamp. (In hindsight, I should have used a razor knife.)
Picture009.jpg

This is everything that is inside the package. Notice the lack of battery. It is a good thing that I keep a stash of cells in my desk drawer. But what happened to that Energizer lithium cell???
Picture010.jpg

The battery is inserted with the tail into the headlamp. There is reverse polarity protection provided by the plastic nubs on the tailcap. The headlamp was tested at the factory, as evidenced by the circular mark in the battery cap. The alkaline is all that I had on hand at the office. I need to test this light with a lithium primary cell, as that is what I plan on using exclusively. My initial impression of the headlamp is very positive. The battery gives a good perspective on just how small this headlamp really is.
Picture017-1.jpg

Another shot of the endcap. The polarity protection "nubs" are more visible, as are the contact areas for the positive battery connection to the sleeve inside the plastic body. You can also see the diffuser, and how it attaches to the headlamp. The raised inner rim of the diffuser slides into the gap at the end of the headlamp. The plastic feels very hard, and I get the impression that the diffuser may break at some point when installing, or removing it.
Picture019-1.jpg

The diffuser in place. The diffused beam still has a noticeable hotspot, but the floodiness is increased considerably. I can see myself using the diffuser often. I would have liked for it to be even more diffused than it is.
Picture012.jpg

The diffuser in the "up" position.
Picture014.jpg

Side view.
Picture015-1.jpg

A shot of the perfectly focused and centered XP-G LED. The beam is a white wall hunter's dream. To my eyes, the tint is pure white, leaning ever so slightly toward neutral. There is no tint variation in the beam at all. I have not tested the light for throw (against my shed, from standing in the driveway), but will check it out this evening. It did well in the controlled environment of a dark office.
Picture020-1.jpg

As I said, this is a small headlamp. Obviously not Zebralight small, but considerably smaller than the likes of the Princeton Tec EOS. I can say without hesitation, that the HL20 will be my go-to headlamp, and the (Seoul modded) PT EOS will be getting a lot less love. Will I be selling the EOS now that the HL20 is in town? Well... maybe. :laughing:
Picture021-1.jpg

The UI takes some getting used to, but is actually starting to grow on me in the short time that I have used it. This UI will eliminate accidental level changes, because you have to want to change the level to make it happen. The last level memory is good, though I could handle it starting on low, and going up one level with each click. But, this is the UI that Fenix chose for this light, and I can live with it.

What is my overall impression of the HL20? I would have to say that it is a winner. It is comfortable to wear, the beam is excellent and the pivot feels solid. Contrary to earlier posts, I actually like the headband. I do have the headband nearly maxed out for size, though. I am not a fan of the top strap on headlamps, and that is the primary reason that I rarely use my PT APEX.

I am glad that I took a chance on buying this headlamp. If it performs as well as I expect on an Energizer lithium cell, it will make me consider retiring, or selling my EOS. (That is a huge compliment.) I have owned a lot of headlamps over the past 3+ years, and have not found a suitable replacement for the Seoul modded EOS headlamps. They have always been my go-to headlamp due to their performance and size. IMHO, the Fenix HL20 has the modded EOS beat on both accounts.

Pros:
  • Small and lightweight (especially with lithium primary cell).
  • Solid feel and good range of tilt. The plastic body is a non-issue IMHO.
  • Well regulated, with good runtime from a single cell. With a spare in my pocket, I would go anywhere with this headlamp. But I am not a caver, so I can't comment from that viewpoint.
  • Flawless beam, perfectly centered emitter. No artifacts, or rings from the XP-G R2 LED. The tint is excellent on my headlamp. It is a clean white, leaning very slightly toward neutral.
  • Excellent throw, nice side spill.
  • UI is great for headlamp use. (This took a while for me to like. The switching avoids level jumping.)
Cons:
  • Medium and high levels are too close together. There could be a lower medium, or add a 4th level between low and the existing medium.
  • Small headband, of average quality. Could use some improvement.
  • The included diffuser doesn't work as well as I had hoped. The beam is not diffused enough, and there is some spill of light back into the eyes.
  • Diffuser doesn't fit the light as well as I would have expected, and will likely break while in the up position if bumped into anything. I would have preferred that it slip onto the head like the AD401, not clip onto the head. This would allow the diffuser to flip downward onto the battery tube, not upward.
One thing I have noticed is my diffuser seems to stick on something, and doesn't sit flush against the aluminum bezel n the down position. Anyone else have this problem? It's probably just a case of shaving some plastic away in the right spot.
Mine has the same problem. It is one of the items on my con list.

Last edited:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: First Impressions: Fenix HL20

...However, if this light actually gets 5.5 hours on medium on alkalines, it should get somewhere in your 8-12 hour range on a lithium battery, and it will do it at 1/3 the cost of 3AAA headlights like my PT EOS headlight...

Great observation. Many thanks for sharing it.

Woods Walker

Looks like my 1000th post. Cool, anyways it is so easy to change out the single battery in the field so give the long run time on med I agree that an overnight hike is workable.

tedh

Newly Enlightened
Got mine a few days ago. I had been waiting with much anticipation. The combination of 1xAA, regulated output, throw when I needed it, but a diffuse beam when I didn't, all made for a near-perfect product. On paper, at least.

I have to admit, I was a little disappointed when I finally got the light. I really wanted to like this thing, but:

1. The strap wasn't that well thought out. If you're going to use molded-on hardware, design it to lie flush against my head. Petzl figured this out years ago. Otherwise, just make the band like Zebralight, with one simple buckle. The Fenix approach seems to use the worst qualities of both.

Of course, it's easy enough to fix this problem by "borrowing" a strap from another headlamp or sewing my own.

2. Where's my medium level? The practical difference between 50 and 100 lumens, in use on the trails where I run, is irrelevant. As noted by others, the middle level should have been more like 30. Effectively, the light only has two different levels.

3. The diffuser works too well out the side. When flipped down over the lamp, the diffuser throws an annoying amount of light off the edges of the plastic, right into my eyes. I can probably fix this with paint. Or even a sharpie.

4. The diffuser doesn't work well enough out the front. I was expecting, and my Zebralight H501 has certainly spoiled me here, a uniform circle of light with the diffuser in place. Instead the hot spot is still visible, and the rest of the beam is a bit patchy. Perhaps the mild hot spot is there by design. Interestingly, the accessory diffuser Fenix sells for its handheld lights (the AD 401 flipdown style) does a better job of diffusing the beam than the one that comes with the HL20. However, I tried the diffuser from a Tikka XP, and it was by far the best, with no hot spot and a lovely uniform illumination field.

I can imagine another mod to get the diffusion I want, shouldn't be too tough.

So, I was prepared to continue waiting for my perfect headlamp. And then I went out for a trail run last night, and I remembered that picking apart a design at the kitchen table is no substitute for actually going out in the field and trying out a new tool.

I was pleasantly surprised. The 50 lumen medium is just about the right amount of light for moving around at night. 30 lumens would have left me squinting down the trail to make out rocks and roots. If the light only had 4, 30, and 100 lumens, I would have been forced to use 100, and waste battery life with unneeded light. The beam pattern had enough spread to forgo using the diffuser, so that was a non-issue. I hand-carried the headlamp to create shadows, so I can't speak to the strap.

All in all, I think it's a keeper. Not quite perfect, but a good headlamp. As I was tallying up the pluses and minuses, I realized it was considerably cheaper than a lot of the mainstream headlamps out there, and compared favorably to many of them.

One thing I have noticed is my diffuser seems to stick on something, and doesn't sit flush against the aluminum bezel n the down position. Anyone else have this problem? It's probably just a case of shaving some plastic away in the right spot.

Ted

Woods Walker

1. The strap wasn't that well thought out. If you're going to use molded-on hardware, design it to lie flush against my head. Petzl figured this out years ago. Otherwise, just make the band like Zebralight, with one simple buckle. The Fenix approach seems to use the worst qualities of both.

Ted

Yup Fenix should purchased a PT or Petzl to see how to make a headband. Still like the headlamp as use another band for it. Darn bright.

Edit.

Make certain to lock this headlamp out as it was on for a second time in my daypack. I often test this in the field at first and like the ZL it will turn on but can be locked out.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

Ok took it out for my last hike/camping trip as didn't have a true overnight field test. The PT headband worked better for me than the Fenix so now happy with the comfort factor. Hiked into the woods and setup camp in the snow. The low was good for camp work and the medium was more than enough for off trail. Here is a beam shot on high.

IMG_0185.jpg

Good throw.

IMG_0186.jpg

Last edited:

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
any one tried it on a 14500 :thinking:

No, it does not support 3.7V input. 1.5V only.

I am using an Energizer Lithium primary cell, and it is excellent on all accounts. I will try it with a NiMH cell once the Energizer is dead. It could take a little while, since I rarely use the high level.

I Know Nothing

Newly Enlightened
Got myself one of these. Some thoughts....

Uses... as most people seem to agree it's crying out for another output level between its 4 and 48 lumens but I've tried it out a bit and am reasonably happy with how useful the 4 lumen mode actually is for hiking with. It shines out (albeit not very brightly) to about 8 to 10 metres and works ok for picking out a sketchy dirt trail through the undergrowth, showing up rocks, holes, picking your way over fallen trees and down rocky steps etc when ambient light isn't quite enough. Being able to use it like that a lot of the time greatly increases its usefulness as a backpacking light where battery life is an important consideration in the shorter days of the year. The 48 lumen level works well for running with and for mountain biking I mostly use the 105 high mode.

Beam... my particular sample errs on the green side but not to any offputting degree and I'm not sure whether that doesn't actually work in its favour for outdoor use. Compared to my L2D which has similar medium and high output levels the XPE in the HL20 gives a noticeably smoother beam. The spill area is a bit larger and a little dimmer. You'd have to have better eyes than me to pick out any differences in ultimate throw. The diffuser works very well. Maybe too well, it actually throws out some light behind you. Some people complained of glare and poor fitting. I don't get either. Certainly looks a little fragile though. The pop on pop off one I made for my L2D doesn't fit. But I think that would leave it with a little more throw so may try to make one for it and see how it looks.

Runtimes... 1.6 hrs on high and 4.8 hrs on medium with both 2700mAH GP and 2300mAH Uniross but I've no idea what their true capacity is. The Uniross are quite old and I'm not sure the GP ones are very good from the voltage readngs so I don't think Fenix's stated run times are totally unachievable. Output drops to low when batteries are getting to the end.

Size... weighs 97g all up with a NiMH battery on my kitchen scales. Simillar weight and size to several Petzl models but it's more angular so doesn't shove in a tight pocket so easily. Quite unobtrusive on the head or left dangling from your neck say.

User interface... The switch feels nice, positive but fairly soft, ok to operate with gloves and freezing fingers. And I like the memory so that you can just use it as a simple click on click off in your selected output level without the cycling through. Click and hold for a second to change levels soon becomes intuitive and quick particularly if you're carrying the light in your hand as I do a lot of the time for better shadow definition because your finger naturally sits on the switch. I prefer this to Fenix's soft tap system. Good that there's no flashy modes to get in the way too.. it's there but only activated with a double click. Switch could turn on accidentally in your pack but it locks out. Battery changing with the single AA is a doddle. I did it first time with my eyes shut in a few seconds. Screw cap is smooth and positive. With my old Petzl 3AAA it was a case of first work out which way to put the batteries then push the last one in and the other 2 usually popped out.

Headband... This has come in for some criticism but works fine for me. Not sure why they needed quite such a big backing plate to slap on your forehead but it's not uncomfortable. I've used the HL20 on my head for both running and biking and it's solid and unobtrusive. The headband doesn't come properly assembled and you need to double the loose end back on itself before connecting it to the rest of the band. Done like that it won't slip at all even trying to pull it pretty hard. Max headband circumference on mine is 57cm and fits over a hat for my size head. The ratchet system to adjust the angle looks pretty cheap and badly designed. The C shaped prongs that the light fits in don't look very strong and it's hard to get in and out but then I'm not sure why I'd want to take it out or why they made it like this. I guess they want to market the headband separately to use with the MC10 angle light. Infact the bottom edge of the light head on mine was catching on the backing plate part way through it's range making it difficult to set at that position. Not good quality control but rather than sending it back I fixed the problem by melting a dent in the plate with a soldering iron and it now rotates properly.

Bottom line... If you need hands free lighting for outdoor activities a forehead mounted head torch is the best option. The HL20 is small, comfortable and throws out an impressive amount of light in a nice beam. There aren't exactly many options for a fully regulated, 100 lumen, sub 100g AA powered headtorch with both throw and flood that I'm aware of. It's only real drawback is lack of a 15 to 25 lumen level.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, great review Nothing! I've been waiting for some more feedback on this beast... Unfortunately it has just further reinforced my concerns with the mounting arms :(

Can you comment on the waterproofness at all?

I Know Nothing

Newly Enlightened
Wow, great review Nothing! I've been waiting for some more feedback on this beast... Unfortunately it has just further reinforced my concerns with the mounting arms :(

Can you comment on the waterproofness at all?

The only time the mounting arms might break would be taking the light out or putting it back in them. They shouldn't be vulnerable in normal use. There's a bit of flexibility in the plastic so I don't think they'd break if you dropped it.

Yep, it's waterproof. Just dunked it in the sink and operated it underwater for a few minutes.

Egsise

Banned
is it comparable to the LD10 on max any one got both to compare :)
LD10 low 10lm, med 40lm, high 79lm, turbo 106lm
HL20 low 3.5lm, med 46lm, high 100lm

OTF lumen guessimates based on my lightbox readings.
Medium mode runtime with Eneloop was 265 minutes.

Last edited:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a huge threadcrap and a waste of everyone's time.

i like to hear both sides...every side.

ive learned something reading this thread, that i wouldnt have learned unless everyone was free to express an opinion.

freedom of speech rocks :party:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only time the mounting arms might break would be taking the light out or putting it back in them. They shouldn't be vulnerable in normal use. There's a bit of flexibility in the plastic so I don't think they'd break if you dropped it.

Well, a mounting arm broke for me. I'll be contacting fenix for a replacement plate. I may not use it though. Its not a great design. My mistake was that I tried to put the MC-10 in it like in the promotional picture. Well for anyone else thinking of doing the same, DON'T DO IT!!

Anyway, I've stuck the arm back on with some hot glue and it seems ok. Infact, I put it back without the arm first and it seems that one arm will hold the light securely but what I might do is leave that arm off and use a strip of rubber. Atleast I can use a MC-10 in it.

Not happy about this but its a great light.

Egsise

Banned
I was worried about the mounting arms too, so I tossed the HL20 around at room temp, several drops from 2-3 feet with the diffuser.
Nothing broke but I need to test it at cold temp too to make sure it does not brake when i'm outdoors with it.