Maxpedition AGR/2        
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: CreeBar: 12V proto/ idea

Default CreeBar: 12V proto/ idea

Hi guys,
    Some of you have become familiar with the CreeStrip and CreeBar that Wayne and I are messing with. I have commited myself to doing something with these components given I have sunk a lot of time and resources as well as $'s into them. A thousand pounds of CreeBar are at the anodizer as I type this.

There is still a long and unclear road ahead with components and options yet to be designed and sourced but the foundation is about here.

I took one of the prototype CreeBars and built out a 12V light for Mr. Ted Bear. I want to share this build with you here for whatever it may be worth in terms of getting some ideas going.

I used one of Wayne's Sharks with Remora as the driver:

The driver has a UI that allows for a nice and reasonably intuitive access to three levels of light output. I used a "normal" momentary clickie switch to power and signal the Shark. I wanted a clean and simple physical mount of the Shark that didn't require any adhesive and I also wanted to provide for some thermal relief to the driver. I took a 1/8" copper rivet and lost the "nail" from it. I uses a #2 machine screw and pre installed the screw into the copper to cut the threads before I soldered the rivet to the ground plane of the Shark:

There is a sizeable ball of solder inside the rivet that is bonded to expossed copper on the PCB. The rivet pedestal is quite secure. I ran the #2 screw though the bulkhead/ sink of the CreeBar and mounted the Shark:

The elevation provided by the rivet allows easy ingress and egress of the wire leads.

This build was intended for portability and multiple 12V inputs so I attached a first grade "BlueSeas" coiled pigtail with a fused cigarette lighter male plug:

Well that's about it.

After building this for Mr. Bear, the only thing I know for certain is that I want to make one for myself when I get the parts and find the time.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Default Re: CreeBar: 12V proto/ idea

Thanks Wayne! For a number of things!!!

Oh yeah, loose some of the solder mask on the bottom of the Shark.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

I like the 12v deal, I have not seen this before.

With this concept and style I can see an industrial-design desktop lamp for 220/110V wall outlets, dimmable. Useful. Cool.

I'd buy one in a second.
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

I just finished the Makita Cree bar and added it to my collection.

Here's a photo of the two.

Both have a Shark and Remora inside as the controller of the LEDs.

Wayne
    Last edited by dat2zip; 06-20-2007 at 04:48 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling View Post
    With this concept and style I can see an industrial-design desktop lamp for 220/110V wall outlets, dimmable. Useful. Cool.

I'd buy one in a second.
    I`ll second that Creebar LED desk lamp. But ... I have been thinking about something that might be neat. Desk lamp would be 12 volt with the Shark driver using Remora or an external pot for multiple levels of light. A wall wart for 110V is no biggie to me at a desk. It looks like four Cr123 lithium batteries would fit in the channel along with the Shark which could be switched to as backup during a power outage. This could work for a plug in 12 volt light like pictured in the first post for back up power to its power source(Boat, Car....) For the desk lamp, those side plates need dressing up with maybe........ short spacers for some nice Cherrywood plates to be attatched. Yup, Cherrywood would look sharp on the ends of the black anodized Creebar.

I`m done rambling now!

Ken

Maybe if we can build enough peer pressure they'll build them for us ...

There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

We need something like the Xitanium driver that will respond to on/ off cycles like Wayne's Shark/Remora does for variable output. As for back up off the grid, I think an intelligently outfitted home has a nice sized SLA in place smartly charged by the grid and feeding low voltage lighting throughout the house. You have permanent lighting in place that you use daily but ultimately independent of the grid.

Ken, I like your rambling!!

I have some similar ideas with metal stand off posts from the sides and sculpted wood rails mounted to the posts. Wood and metal look real nice together when done right!!

So ... when can I retire my desk lamp then?

And just in case you wanted to ask ... I like Bubinga and black metal and I prefer big knobs for power throttle.

bk
    - paulr

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    As for back up off the grid, I think an intelligently outfitted home has a nice sized SLA in place smartly charged by the grid and feeding low voltage lighting throughout the house. You have permanent lighting in place that you use daily but ultimately independent of the grid.
    Well, my lack of intelligence is starring me in the face on this one! A couple of lamps like I mention with built in battery back up would be for a stand alone solar system that I failed to build large enough. I assumed two 5,500 watt converters running on over 6,000 pounds of lead acid batteries fed by almost 5,000 watts of panels with a 10,000 watt generator as an automatic back up for high current draw or low battery condition was plenty for a 3 bedroom home. It would be for me but I don`t live there. Didn`t figure on the curling irons, blow dryers, commercial double burner Bun coffee maker, toaster oven........... Can you see the pattern of high draw NO-NO`S involved. The system had to be detached from the house and up on the hill above because the hill would have blocked the afternoon sun from the solar panels at the house. Anyway, suddenly sitting in the dark at night happens and I thought I could give my Mother a couple of these lamps since I am tired of working on her solar system and that house. Man, I am one lazy dude, eh? I`ll make her some lamps myself.

Now, back to these cool Creebars. But I did notice a couple new things listed at the Shoppe soon to be for sale, I hope!

Ken

This would work well in my electronics workshop. I would mount it on an anglepoise arm but have it detachable and keep the coiled cord.

I took a Noga dial indicator arm and mounted it on a straight shaft of aluminum that has the other end turned down to fit in one of the generic table clamp stands. I mounted an early CreeBar proto on the Noga. This has been serving me as a work light on my electronics/ optics test bench:

Digikey has these table clamp mounts as well as a wall mount that I have used elsewhere like the reading light CreeBar below:

If you don't require the wire lead to go through the wall or table mount, you can move the light from one mount to the other. They both take the same diameter post.

OK SOLD!

When will the Creebar extrusion be available for purchase? I'm itchin to make myself a Makita Creebar! Or perhaps a "RebelBar"

-Ed
    Last edited by Edwood; 07-03-2007 at 04:53 AM.
    Small: MJP Extreme III Orb Raw Ti and NS
    Medium: Oveready Triple Copper E2e
    MJP-E3e (15-3Ostar) Surefire L4 (MC-E) LensLight Mini
    Large: Surefire M6-WA1185 M-Zep MZXR-7a

Hi Don, sorry if this was asked before, but I don't understand why you use a reflectorized LED under a diffuser glass, I mean why not use the LED alone under a transparent glass?

Nevertheless, the design looks cool.

Pablo

Hi guys,
    The extrusions are at the anodizer now. The anodizer is in Oakland, CA and when I go back to Berkeley on the 15th of this month (for a week of long overdue old shop clean up and clean out) I will pick these up and bring them to the house in Berkeley. I am keeping the fixed lighting inventory there and my wonderful wife is helping me with the wholesale business we run from inventory kept there. I would guess that some of these extrusions can get to Wayne and Cindy then to be made available as components for DIY. I have a few ideas for turnkey lights based on the CreeBar but I still need to get additional components designed and sourced towards those designs.

PEU,
    Good question. First and foremost, I want to get the light out of the front of the CreeBar and that means some form of reflector, given its design with the LED's mounted so deep. I wanted a more concentrated beam than one using no secondary optic and the McR-17XR were the best reflectors on hand. The CreeBar can be used with a clear window obviously for a light that has a concentrated spot and spill. The frosted acrylic window acts like a less efficient version of a SF beam shaper. I wanted to get max versatility out of this extrusion so I provided the depth in the front end to allow the option of reflectors. For pure flood, I am planning to use the MC-PET material that has recently come to light (thanks again to Newbie for this!!).

I want and wanted the CreeBar to be as versatile as possible and to serve as host and heat sink for the CreeStrip (6xLED) in any number of possible applications; fixed, semi portable and portable. Although I named it the CreeBar, it is not limited to the Cree XR-E LED's for that matter. Wayne and I have already played with some Rebel 6x strips that will mount in this and I have some sample Nichia LED's that are worthy of investigation with potential in this extrusion as well. The CreeBar is heavy with noticible mass and a fair amount of surface area. Compared to flashlights, it seems like overkill and yet it gets warm when you are driving 6 LED's with reasonable current.

I have been using the one proto that is mounted on a Mikita 18V Li-Ion all the time around the house and it's the best work light I have had the opportunity to use. High on the list is an end cap for the CreeBar that will serve as a dock for the Makita battery.

do i hear CreeBarBikeLight?

--neg
    "Barad-Dur was an inside job. Everyone knows dirty little hobbitses can't melt mithril beams."
    | too many 47s products
    | Mag2D nFlex LuxIII/6AA NiMh Mod (from when that was good) | Absurd Jayrob 5A MT-G2 MagLite | User 4798 |

I want my Desktop Lamp running on AC with a dimmer ...
    - paulr

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling View Post
    I want my Desktop Lamp running on AC with a dimmer ...
    Bernie, I believe you wanted it like a volume control so how about the Shark driver with a 20K pot like in the picture. Unfortunately, this particular Xitanium driver is not dimmable. Your lamp would have to have a wall wart If that bothers you????

Don, I believe you mentioned the Shoppe and at least one other place for the home lighting fixtures but I have searched for hours for that post and.......... Can you point me in the right direction please? Also, is the MC PET material available to purchase somewhere yet?

Thank you

Nice Cree strip and Xitanium driver but they need something?????

OK, I'm buying a house and replacing all the light fixtures with Creebars...

I like this alot. I want one for a desk lamp as Bernie said with an articulating arm.
    Too cool.

Kenster,

Presently, some of my fixed lighting fixtures are available from the shoppe, BerkeleyPoint and TheLEDLight as far as on line merchants. I don't know what any of them are currently offering. The CreeBar won't be offered by me on a wholesale basis until I come up with some type(s) of turn key builds. I think Wayne and the shoppe will be offering stuff in a component and DIY format but that is up to him and Cindy as to what and when.

If you haven't done an outside porch light mod with the cree strip and xitanium, what are you waiting for?!?!

I haven't tried to find a dealer for the MC-PET material because Wayne and I have an order in with the US branch of the manufacturer. I believe Wayne plans to make it available in the shoppe. I did run across one wholesale supplier for the material but I can't recall who it was. I think this stuff is just making it to market and it might take some time. I have a small sample sheet I got from Wayne but as much as I want to play with it, I am holding back until I can use it in a final production CreeBar extrusion. I think this stuff has al kinds of applications with LED's as it allows you a good and efficient means of bouncing the photons. With over kill wattage and incandescent fixtures you can waste away the excess light but with LED's you want to get the best mileage you can. Well at least that's my take.

As for dimming from AC power, I too am waiting on the EE guys to come up with something we can use and a simpleton like me can understand.

Flashaholic*

Don,

I do recall reading BP somewhere but that was it.... just... BP. Fixed lighting at the Shoppe`s website has been growing larger with new additions but non of it is for sale just yet. I will keep checking. The combination of these cool new LED`s that just keep getting better and discovering all the home LED lighting that you and other folks have been having fun with has me a little excited, I suppose. A friend of mine just finished some minor remodeling and painting on a house he bought. He was happy it was all behind him so he could sit down and enjoy it but I went over there and pointed out some LED lighting what if........ He loved my ideas but pointed out he couldn`t do it without my help. Well, I knew that but I was too excited about all of it to see past my flappin lips. Actually, it will be enjoyable. Not profitable since I am free labor but he will be paying for everything I have been wanting to buy and play with anyway so... Now, I need to figure out how & what it takes to operate the dimming feature on the 25watt Xitanium driver.

The MC-PET Material seemed like it was something new and that is why I asked about its availability. People that know how to do something with this new material will obviously be getting it first. Anyway, thank you for all the info. Now, it is time to pick out another table or floor lamp to convert to LED.

I just noticed it is now offiicially a new day so...........

HAPPY 4th of JULY!

So now I just need one with a rechargeable batter pack and a dimmer knob, and these will sell for $800+ in the film industry...I know I know thats all i ever say when it comes to these cree bars

Great work so far Don!
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    As for dimming from AC power, I too am waiting on the EE guys to come up with something we can use and a simpleton like me can understand.
    I'm qualified to answer as I have an EE (that would be "electric engine.")

And before you laugh at me, let me answer the call for help:
    Wall wart + any dimming driver that we have at our disposal (bFlex from Georges80, Shark/remora from Wayne, etc). Presto, instant plug-in-ability and dimming control for not much coin. This is what Darell does, and it will soon be all the rage.
    - Darell, the EVnut
    Email me: darelldd -at- gmail - I don't do PM.
    Is Tenacity just Badassity x 10?

Wow, how did I miss this one, that is really nice.

This will be one EXTREMELY versatile system.
    With just a few attachment points, such as tripod threading spaced around the light on all sides, the possibilities are endless.
    It seems that you could actually use this as a desk lamp, pop it off its stand, and attach it to your video camera,
    pop it off that, slap it on your bike,
    stick it on a mini tripod and use it as a photo light.
    Sheesh,,, I talked myself into one of these quick enough, didnt I?

I would love to see the parts available for DIY projects.

It would be really cool if you could find/make a frost snap on cover for it.
    That way you could configure it with the clear window, so you can use it as a bike light, wise spotlight, etc,
    but easily adapt it to a desk light, etc, with flood.

Is there any way to make this water tight? at least quick dunk proof?
    I would imagine the side caps would need a custom shaped gasket, which would NOT be cheap.

Great work as always Don,
    ~John

Cree Bar tastes goooood!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast