Review: Lumintop HL AAA

narmattaru

Enlightened
Review example was provided by Lumintop
(link is external)
20170915065149_51345.jpg

I consider Lumintop to be a company who is a way better in micro rather than in macro. Their small lights are reliable and popular – tool and worm are best examples. Lumintop Ant for me is 100% ideal of keylight desing, that is what I love in small flashlights in each detail.
So, lets take a look at similar thing, one more flashlight from micro-world. And, guys, this thing deserves to be reviewed )

PACKAGE AND APPEARANCE

Flashlight`s package is well-known brown thick cardboard box that we`ve seen in at least 5 last Lumintop models. Yes, that adds a lot to survival skills (none of these boxes were crashed during postal travel from China to Russia), but once I liked new package of Tool AA\AAA I`d prefer last one, if I want to order HL AAA for a gift.
Nevertheless, package is modest in design, but definitely ok. There are a sticker with specs on rear side of box.
02ec4f.jpg

d4869c.jpg

b639f1.jpg

There are just few things that come along with this light: HL AAA itself, AAA Duracell battery, manual and o-ring. Well, few, but enough.
I also got decent head strap for review, found no info where to buy it, wait a reply from manufacturer.
0c0cb0.jpg

ae2b15.jpg

And here comes our hero.
b9aa0d.jpg

Size, comparing to other AAA powered lights, is shorter, just 65mm. But in these 65mm you`ll get feeling of full-scale 18650 powered headlamp in each detail.
e4e221.jpg

mi-mi-mi =^.^= this little stuff is sooo nice.
839584.jpg

From all the sides
afbc43.jpg

28102e.jpg

34accb.jpg

There is a good magnet at the tail cover
8a592e.jpg

59e92f.jpg

I was surprised to see springs from both sides.
4fa900.jpg

383a91.jpg

Threads are lubricated well.
a0dfe2.jpg

I recommend NOT to take clip off as it is too tights and putting it back will result in having flashlight body scratched. Please consider that this is a macro photo and in reality, they are tiny-tiny. But they are visible anyway.
6917f4.jpg

Here we`ve got TIR-optic + widely used XP-G2 R5
I also asked manufacturer if there will be NW\Nichia version, which, I bet, will find it`s users.
2c9541.jpg

129972.jpg

Cooling ribs are quite big, comparing to size of head.
0c4ef9.jpg

ace57b.jpg

Semi-transparent button covers all the upper part of head. Click is significant, you can easily find button with finger.
5dacb6.jpg

7ae7df.jpg

16d251.jpg

I`ve mentioned head strap. This one is good, old-school 0-shaped ,with gel straps insides, for better hold on head. You have to take into account that without this strap, it will be almost impossible to attach HL AAA to baseball cap like regular headlamp, which you can easily do with Tool AA\AAA.
e89ff0.jpg

bae854.jpg

d46ca3.jpg

b78982.jpg

Normally you supposed to use it like this.
3c66ea.jpg

So, what `bout appearance – I totally liked it. Lumintop did a great desing job here.
Also, I haven't noticed any visible bugs in build quality.
UI
simple
ON – short press
OFF – long press
No mode memory.
Mode switching – short presses and go through low-mid-high
And here is a significantly uncool part…As you can see – there are no lockout mode.
Also you cannot simple unscrew tail part as you do in most of keylights – spring is too long.
So if you carry HL AAA along with you in tight pocket – chances to get it turned ON are big.

That is not cool. For example, 5 sec press to activate lockout mode will be really good addition and (I believe) will not be a challenge to engineers.
PERFORMANCE
CW light. Each of you, I bet, own at least one light with XP-G R5 , so you understand what it is.
There is no visible PWM-shimmering in any mode.
My measurements of amperage
low 0.034A
mid 0.27A
high 1A
Light is, no surpise, extremely diffused. And though it is not that big in lumens number, it is still useful, please take a look.
LOW – ok for night reading
MID is ok for camping tent, shelf searches, car repair, even to illuminate path in 3- meters away from you.
HIGH is good for most 3-5 meteres range needs. 130 lums is a good number, just keep in mind that we`re limited here with about 30min runtime (though 2-3 spare additional batteries will add almost no weight and occupy no space into you pocket
I must add that, HL AAA will perform good in darkness, in evening light low-mid will be too dim to struggle with parasitic light.
4meters

About 5 meters

The same door, 9 meters.

As you can see, light is quite bright and enough for lots of needs.
Here is the time to take a look at charts, which is surprisingly relevant to specs. Good runtime and stabilization.
Pic below is clickable

OVERALL IMPRESSION
I Like this light and would rate it excellent in design, good in performance and functionality and disputable in UI usefulness (absolutely due to potential problems with occasional turning on).
If you like flashlight (well, once you`re here, I think you do), especially small ones, HL AAA will be a good gift for yourself on forthcoming X-mas\New Year.

Edited by: Narmattaru on 12/05/2017 - 17:20

Nev

Banned
Nice review thanks, the only design fault with these is that once it's been running for a while & it can't maintain high ,you can't turn the light off by the switch , you have to unscrew the tail cap.

cdm-dude

Newly Enlightened
Light can't be shut off by on/off switch? I think that means this unit is not a clicky. That would also mean that there is standby drain even when it's off. Can someone please confirm this? (or correct me)

Swindiana

Newly Enlightened
0KxnPr3.jpg

Not a tail lockout, and not very neat (ad hoc experimenting), but it works and prevents accidental pocket turn ons.
smile.png

It's just a washer shaped a bit to fit around the button and to flush with the head edges. Don't ask about the paint. 8) On the next one I know what to do to make it look neater.