The New Coast HP450 1400 Lumenns on 6xAA! It's a Coast Thread!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
First I need to post up some pics of my big Coasts I took last night for size comparison.

IMG_0001_zpszohfuzmw.jpg
[/URL]

[/IMG]
IMG_0003_zps8je6bjwy.jpg
[/URL]

[/IMG]
From largest XP-L HP17 down to HP550. Note the focusing optics in each.
IMG_0004_zpsgybdvlne.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

From smallest HP450 to largest XP-L HI HP17
IMG_0005_zpse10y4qbh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Tried to get a good shot looking straight down the HP450 reflector head and identify just WHICH XHP emitter it is using. The well designed focusing optic over the emitter leaves me unable to tell if it is the XHP35, 50 or 70.
IMG_0007_zps45t2b73n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The new Coast HP450 only takes 6XAA as opposed to the old 9xAA(!!)HP550. HP550 still uses the original XM-L emitter! It also actually does crank 1000 lumens as advertised but boy...9 cells is a LOT.

Will post night shots either tonight or tomorrow night! The HP450 is thus far the BEST LARGE VARIABLE FOCUS high output LED light overall in my opinion.

Thanks for bringing this Coast HP450 LED flashlight to our attention. This is a very nice alternative to spending $90 for a 4D ML300L Maglite. It looks like the LED is a CREE XHP70.2! It is really nice.

Control shot, no flash:

Nitecore SRT9, freshly charged 3000 mAh 18650 batteries:

Coast HP450, fresh out of clamshell packaging:

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome shots Search and Rescue! After 22 years of collecting lights of all brands sizes etc. the only things keeping the HP450 from being the 100% BEST LARGE VARIABLE FOCUS LED light is that despite near perfect FLOOD beam and ACTUAL USABLE variable profiles in between full flood and full spot is well...the fully focused SPOT beam profile as well as the lights IPX4 rating.

Compared to the new gen XML2 Mags that have everything going for them save for the useless variable profiles in between spot and flood the ONE HAND PUSH PULL VARIABLE FOCUS control on the big Coasts is still the best most useful actual variable focus UI I have yet seen.

The big Mags still takes two hands. The new gen XML2 Mags have the very impressive 3 different mode programs PLUS an extremely impressive strobe. The new Mags also have a solid throw range advantage over the Coasts. The spot beam profile out of the new Mags is VERY clean HUGE and useful, well defined.

The Coasts beam profiles while of course VERY useful FLOOD beam and variable profiles the SPOT profile out of any of my big Coasts are kind of rough. They get the job done but could be better. I tried an actual LED Lenser push pull variable focus light awhile ago MX14. It had not only the focusing optic but a reflector as well. I swore this would have given me the awesome definition of the new big Mags but it wound up being one of the WORST variable focus lights I ever got. I sent it back.

IPX4 rating. I know not to expect the world for how much my new HP450 costs but IPX4 is not a good rating. Both water and dust can easily get into the Coasts. Mags are IPX6. Not a HUGE leap forward but indeed sealed better. Us folks that have collected big Mags for a long time have our methods for making big Mags beyond IP68. But that also costs more money and one has to know how to do it right.

Night shots hopefully tonight. The weather here is very hit or miss right now. As for 1400 lumens? Sure! For about 20 seconds. The Coasts are still direct drive lights that use PWM. Despite that fact they are still very high on the value scale. Direct drive is as simple, straight forward and easy to repair if needed as it gets.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I still find the HP7 of 2015 a very useful flashlight.

I know, I know...triple A's and fuel life...
But with 4 eneloop pro cells it holds a steady beam for short term uses like fixing a flat very well.

Mr.Penny

Newly Enlightened
I really wanted to buy a HP450 but Coast doesn't recommend using NIMH batteries with this flashlight. :(

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do they say that on their site? My HP450 is cranking along perfectly with brand new Eneloop Pro's in it. I even have a new bulk box of L91 Energizer Ultimate Lithiums to try in it. I would NOT put alkalines in this light at all. The Duracell knock offs it came with were pretty poor. Installed new Pros and BAM! It looks above 1000 lumens to me. As for 1400 if it can make that number it is likely for just 30 seconds. Still though. Beats having to deal with NINE AA's in my HP550.

It will not stop raining out here! Waiting for a night where it stops at least long enough to take some quick beam shots in my back yard. As for NIMH's Coast may say that as there are still a LOT of bad NiMH cells out there that are junk thus they may be saying that to prevent a flood of warranty repairs.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must have had 9 HP7's over the years. To me it is ergonomically near PERFECT push/pull one hand variable focus PROJECT HOST. I have always wanted to build a very high output capable HP7 with better power sources like 14500's that can actually drive that much with 3 modes of course. One day maybe.

Mr.Penny

Newly Enlightened
I emailed Coast customer service about using NIMH cells in the HP450. Here's what Alex Davis told me:

NIMH are NOT recommended.
If you would like to increase the performance, Energizer Ultimate Lithium, ( non rechargeable) you can use.

I asked why and he said:

They are not designed for the use on Coast lights.
NIMH Cells have potential to damage flashlights if they are not made to use them.

Last edited:

Canuke

Enlightened
I just picked up one of these from the Domicile Despot, it's not a bad pickup at $24.95. It seems like an XH-P 50.2 to me, from comparing it to the XH-P 70 in my Convoy L6.

On first-gen Eneloops at full power, it does start heating up fairly quick (so the sinking is there), and my eyeballing of a bounce test with the L6 shows that its High mode is about 60% of the L6 high mode. Impressive.

There's also a zoom lockout feature. The zoom is push-pull as usual, but you can rotate the head and it will click into a "zoom lock" mode. It isn't quite locked, you can still zoom, but it's like there's a brake on and it's heavy. The unlocked mode is pretty heavy in its own right already IMO and won't drift on you.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting! Okay out come the new Pros and in go brand new L91's. At least I am changing 6 AA's instead of 9 in my old HP550. I have zero idea how good quality NiMH cells would damage any modern light that takes AA's but let me do a quick cell change.....er..wow! Alright then! The beam profile is now noticeably sharper with the new L91's in it. Glad I bought those cells in bulk!

For $25 this new HP450 is not just a steal it is highway robbery! Coast could easily charge 3 times as much for it and they would still be high value. Speaking of amazing cheap Coast lights has anyone else seen the tiny $20 HX5 at Home Despot? I have had mine for awhile now. It is very good with just an average alkaline in it. Put a 14500 lithium ion cell in it and output from this tiny Coast jumps over 200 lumens! The little $20 push/pull variable focus Coast HX5 with 14500 power is actually brighter than my original PD32!

Will post more pics as time allows.

Last edited:

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Hmm, I don't see this model on their website. Does anyone know why? I'll probably stop by HD and get one. I like my HP550 and HP7 quite a bit. Have had no issues at all w/ Eneloops in them...

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HP450 is a limited edition meant for HD only is what I understand. That is why it is not on their site. I notice that as well. According to Coast Eneloop cells are not reccomended because they average 1.2v per cell as opposed to 1.5v per cell for alkaline and up to 1.8v per cell for Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA L91 cells. Eneloop's do not provide the required voltage for advertised claims.

I started out with brand new freshly charged Eneloop Pros. Did some research and took them out of the light then put in fresh L91's. BIG difference. With the L91's it is noticeably brighter at max and the beam profile has more definition. L91's are expensive unless you buy in bulk. Bought mine in bulk lol...

My OLD HP550 STILL works just as well as the day I bought it a LONG time ago. 9xAA is a LOT to deal with though. 6xAA is much easier to deal with and is the number of AA cells averaging 1.5v per cell or MORE that the light would need to reach advertised claims.

I must have had 12 HP7's over the years. The latest HP7 cranks 530 lumens. The HP7 is one of the most ergonomically PERFECT lights ever. I have always wanted to use an HP7 as a PROJECT HOST. LOTS of room inside of them for a wide range of different electronics.

With Eneloops in your light SURE it will still work but you will not be getting the advertised output and runtime claims. Yes a freshly charged Eneloop can easily come off any charger up to 1.5v per cell but that extra voltage does not last long in cells designed to average 1.2v each.

Best AA alkalines in my OPINION are Energizers. The lithium primary L91 AA Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA has the most capacity per cell at 3000mah. It is actually likely around 3100mah per cell. Expensive unless in bulk.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen that 1300 lumen Energizer light in a couple local stores. It LOOKS ergonomically good. I doubt it pushes 1300 lumens. If it does it is for about 15 seconds on brand new cells that is about it. Will do a bit more research into it. As for how does it compare to the HP450 I can already say there really is not a comparison. They are both roughly the same price and the Coast has the one hand push/pull variable focus design that is exclusive to Coast.

That Energizer light looks like it would make a great PROJECT HOST at least. Lots of room in it to do lots of things.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Got it today. My 3rd light purchase this year. I like how w/ one hand, I could turn it on/off and adjust the beam w/ the same thumb w/out changing the grip and that it has a forward clicky.

I do like the weight and balance of the light w/ either alkaline cells or Eneloops in it; but I might "try" the Ultimate Lithiums in it to observe the bump in horsepower - though it would feel lighter.

PS. Had 3 different people at my Home Depot look for the light. Their website said 24 in stock. Almost 15 minutes of looking, they found the box about 12 feet above the floor one aisle away from their main flashlight section. Funny thing is, the side of the box said something like: Display on sales floor on 10/22/18. I may have been the first one to buy this light at that store...

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am hoping it will finally stop raining here for long enough for me to do beam shots. The Coast beam profile is not exactlly very "crisp" in details like the big Mags are but it works for what you expect them to do really. So do the big Mags. Still yes, Energizer Ultimate Lithium L91 AA cells are going to 100% drive the light the most for the longest as they have the highest capacity of any legit lithium AA primary that I am aware of.

The L91's being lithium handle temperature extremes pretty easily. Far more so than any other chemistry I believe. The L91's are one of the best designed AA primaries I have yet seen really.

Hope to post up some beam shots later...

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
The weather here is still terrible. Inside basement white painted wall shots.

HP450 at its highest output mode does not seem to use pulse width modulation as far as I can tell. The other two modes certainly do as is easily seen through any digital camera.

Output is still impressive.

High
IMG_0040_zpsdzparik5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Medium
IMG_0038_zpsroyzlzrr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Low
IMG_0036_zpsu16l9aka.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

HP450 FLOOD BEAM

Highest output
IMG_0041_zpsp02fml4s.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Medium
IMG_0042_zpsdnxcnq5o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Low
IMG_0043_zpsy66c8ce8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As far as I can tell the HP450 actually is at peak performance at its highest output level. I did not pick up a hint of "flickering" at max output at all. The two lower modes clearly have it though.

The FLOOD BEAMS are one stand out feature that always keeps Coast lights in my collection.

Anyways here is what the 3-6 D cell Maglite 325 lumen OTF Malkoff XPG2 drop in looks like in an old 3 D cell incan Mag just to compare BIG LIGHT beam profiles. I have a bit over 5 volts driving the Malkoff now so it is an easy 350+ lumens out the front.

The old incan Mags have one of the widest beam profiles of any production light still. I actually did not have enough room to get near all of it.

IMG_0045_zpsa9ids8xq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Even at such lower output the Malkoff out throws all but the HP17 the original incan reflector design is just that large.

Enjoy

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Have had mine for one week. Went through the original set of Duracells. I have Eneloops in it now, and it seems to be fine - just like my HP550 and HP7. I'd be SO surprised if these Eneloops hurt this light; if so, and I've voided the warranty, I'm out $24.88...

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a HP14, 2 HP 550's, and 2 of the Polysteel models they made a few years ago that used 4 AA's like the 14's. I have used NIMH cells in all of them since I bought them and never had an issue. I would only use alkalines in them as a backup. One of the Polysteels has Energizer lithiums in it and I keep in one of our cars. Voltage should not be a problem. NIMH batteries voltages do not sag nearly as much under high current loads. I have a Fenix TK70 that uses 4 D cells. but if you put in Alkalines and turn it on its highest setting, the output sputters! Coast was pretty vague about the reason why these lights were not designed for NIMH batteries.