• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Energizer 'C' ALK w/'free shipping'

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it ain't a flashlight, but it sure makes them work better, so I'll post this here.

Got an e-mail from batteryjunction today, subject: Free Shipping on Energizer 'C' cells.

I haven't bought a 'C' since I was quite young, but recently when C/D prices were being discussed and I clicked over to their site (which is where almost all my cells come from) to check prices, and I recall a note on one or both that they weren't eligible for their standard 'free shipping >$50' thing, and given their weight, I didn't look any further.

I haven't had anything that uses Cs since about the same young age, but having recently received a C Mag from my friend who's the kind curator of the ODFM (Old Dominion Flashlight Museum), I think I'll check this out for price. It may only to apply to Energizer; however I've come to put alkaline cells in the same category as snakes: I don't like any of them. Therefore, I'm not too particular. I should have at least a few on hand now that I have something that uses them. If the price is good (which is usually the case with their merch), and if I can get 'em set in front of my door without schleppin' 'round all over town and "minglin' with the maggotry" at some mega-store, then "wrap it up...".

I'll check it out later, but thought I'd post an FYI for the C users around here.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recommended by the curator of ODFM
IMG_20231009_201610959.jpg
Depot sells to mil/leo veterans discounted (if you can apply) Always Free shipping if you walk in. I like to checkout expiry dates on batteries

... Yes this package says made in USA!

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always Free shipping if you walk in

Instead of comparing alkalines to snakes, they're actually more like 'snakes and ladders' to me (all the same / a wash to me).

However, with where gas prices are here, no shipping is free if it involves driving. Sad, but true. I see it's no better in CA where I used to live either. Schleppin' around isn't just inconvenient any more, it's real money these days;-( Not that long ago I didn't even count that cost, but I do now. Of course, I also used to have a real job, too, so there's that!

Good Batteries, I've been using them for about a year, and so far no leaks detected
Wally Mart is another good source, they have a fresh turnover 👍
I have several MagLites that use C-cells (the throw from the newer MagLite models is useful to me, and family members don't need an advanced degree is lightology to operate them). In the past three years I've never had an alkaline C-cell or D-cell leak on me, of any brand, regardless of whether the light was in regular use or standby mode. In this same three year period, I've had literally dozens of alkaline AA cells leak, including Energizer, Duracell, Ray-O-Vac, and IKEA, even when those cells are labeled as being good for another five years past the cell's leak-by date. (The AA cells are maintained for a community organization that uses AA's a lot...not relevant to the C-cell story, but included for comparison).

Since I only have a sample size of one, does anyone else know if the design or construction of the larger alkaline cells in some way affects my zero leakage experience with the larger cells? Or am I just lucky in my C-cell and D-cell experience?

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I've had so many items ruined from alkaleaks in my younger & dumber days, (even though I did get some things replaced from the battery companies, and from Maglite back in the day) that I consider them to be junk and unacceptable in the world of NiMH cells, regardless of price or shipping.

Low Self Drain C cells are inexpensive, and can be charged on a simple 2 bay charger which can be had for $20 to $25 which will charge your Li-Ion cells too. After a few charges, they've paid for themselves, and can be charged hundreds of times, as we all know.

A slightly different story for D cells, since you have to get a bigger charger. Since I have some D Maglites, and my Malkoffed 4D, I sprung the $100 for the Maha Powerex, which does my D cells, and all of my smaller Tenergy & Eneloop cells which I've purchased for my remote control units, clocks, volt meters, AA flashlights, misc. items, etc. I consider it an investment, and money well spent. I've had it for around 7 years now, and think "cha-ching" to myself every time I re-charge a cell ... and never have to worry about my items getting ruined, or having to remove the cells to keep things from getting ruined.

Not trying to be a smartazz at all here, but I consider most of you all to be the "experts", and I don't understand why I still see so many folks taking a chance with using alkaleaks in your nice, and often expensive, lights and other items. Even if I was wanting to stockpile a bunch of cells, I'd still get the NiMH, as they'll stay charged for like a year or more. If we had an extended power outage, I could still charge them with my small Honda 2000K inverter / generator which runs 9 hours on a gallon of gas, which I keep quite enough of on hand.

I guess I don't really see a cost savings. Am I missing something?

JT

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When I first arrived here a member whose name I forget but it prompted thoughts of a fireman, kept talking about Rayovac batteries. I was like "what those cheap things?" He says "yeah, cheaper, last just as long and don't leak". "Don't leak? Now this I've gotta see". Back then they had a gray sleeve. I tried them and he was right. At least the ones I got from Home Depot at that time.

Fast forward a few years and yes a couple AA gray sleeved have since leaked but clean up was easy. We're talking maybe 5 out of 150+ some 6 to 8 years later.
The ones like those shown in posts 3 and 7 have so far been leak-free in my uses for C and D size. Come to think of it aa and aaa too. But those are mostly used in clocks, remote controls or computer mouse's.

For 2C flashlights a pair of eneloops in adapters works great. And I've had good service from Battery Junction over the years.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm no expert in batteries. I may know a bit more than your average layman but still it is very little. Rechargables are nice if you have access to electricity but if you are in the field or the jobsite it is best to have a bunch of alkalines or lithiums. I've been using lithium since 1999 but not all electronics can use them.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a 2 or 3 C cell light, you are better off using AA eneloops or L91's in adapter sleeves or better still, a 18650 or 21700 in 3D printed adapters - much lighter, rechargeable (except for the L91's) and you won't have leaks.

BillBond

Newly Enlightened
Battery Junction used to be my go to place for years.
They must of had a personnel change, as the last two times they screwed up my orders and refused to fix it.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Rechargables are nice if you have access to electricity but if you are in the field or the jobsite it is best to have a bunch of alkalines or lithiums.

It's actually just as easy and much more inexpensive to have a bunch of spare charged up rechargeables.

When I was working as a Realtor, my pocket sized digital camera and flashlight both ran off of AA cells. I kept 4 spares in my camera case, which could be worn on my belt, and quite a few more spares in my vehicle. I never ran out.

Before that, when I first became a Realtor, I was using D cell Maglites, and spent a small fortune on Alkalines, and ruined several Maglites. I was very happy when I made the switch to NiMH. Never looked back.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first arrived here a member whose name I forget but it prompted thoughts of a fireman, kept talking about Rayovac batteries. I was like "what those cheap things?" He says "yeah, cheaper, last just as long and don't leak". "Don't leak? Now this I've gotta see". Back then they had a gray sleeve. I tried them and he was right. At least the ones I got from Home Depot at that time.

Fast forward a few years and yes a couple AA gray sleeved have since leaked but clean up was easy. We're talking maybe 5 out of 150+ some 6 to 8 years later.
The ones like those shown in posts 3 and 7 have so far been leak-free in my uses for C and D size. Come to think of it aa and aaa too. But those are mostly used in clocks, remote controls or computer mouse's.

For 2C flashlights a pair of eneloops in adapters works great. And I've had good service from Battery Junction over the years.

Your earlier comments along these lines already prompted me to pick up ROV AAs last time I (grudgingly) bought some. It's all a gamble, so I figured I might just as well put a chip or 2 down on those as any of 'em. Yeah, I know Energizer owns them, but that doesn't mean their products / lines are now unified / the same, as some might assume.

Re: The Eneloops / C adapters: I just got some white AAs in my last order to use in my old AA MMs that can't chamber the black ones. I think either @knucklegary or you turned me on to that, and they just fit - perfectly. If you figure they'll power a 2C LED Mag like mine adequately (I don't need a ton of run time), then a couple of those adapters will be in my next order. I'll go that route if they'll work, and it sounds like plenty have gone before me, so why not? Heck with the D alkalines.